Harry Graham

Default Lee Engines

I'm thinking of buying a 30 year old Cheoy Lee Trawler (40 ft). It has a
set of 6 cylinder Lee engines. They look like Ford Lyman (sp?) anybody
know what they are?

Harry

scoobs

On Mon, 24 May 2004 06:39:07 -0700,
Harry Graham wrote:

snip They look like Ford Lyman (sp?)
anybody know what they are?

take a look at the engine, on the block at the
flywheel end under (or close to) the last injector
you will see a protruding of the casting. If you
scrape it clean you should see a marking such as
360 or 365 or 380 etc, this will be the family
to which the engine belongs. The Ford "D-series"
engines were in production at that time. They are
an English Ford engine with many variations and
were very common here in New Zealand. During my
career as a mechanic I saw many of them over the
years. They are for want of a better term a slugger
and run for years even when worn they are reliable
and just keep going. To get an idea of HP most of
the six cylinder variety produced between
80 to 120hp and turbo versions up to 180hp at
max rpm of between 2400/2800 automotive use.
As marine engines max rpm not beyond say 2200rpm.
Quite an econimical unit they are. I still
manufacture marine exhaust manifolds for these
engines and am currently rebuilding a 365 for my
old tub here in Auckland.

Lehman converted a few of these and I still have
access to the moulds for things such as mainfolds
heat-exchangers etc here in New Zealand.

John.
City of Sails
Auckland, New Zealand
http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~scuubydu/
delete _removethis and _nospam2me from return
address and place @NG in subject in order to reply
plus get round that pesky junkmail filter....

John

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:03:58 +1200, scoobs
wrote:

Love the photo of 'the old tub'
I'll be looking for such a boat after I finish restoring my mason
marlin...
Can she handle a very big sea?

John Hornblow
80 Pikarere Street