posted to rec.boats.building

Default 1700 Lb Engines

I suspect that the weight estimate you have is a vast over kill. If you
disconnect the engines from the transmissions the engine weight should be in
the range of 350 pounds.

We have lifted 350 CID Chev engines with a single motorcycle tie down strap
between the engine and a chain hoist. The 350 engine in minutely heavier
than a 327. No motorcycle hold down strap I know of would hold 1700 pounds.

The bottom line is that with a reasonable support assembly you should have
no trouble pulling the engine.

Don Dando

posted to rec.boats.building

The ratio of 350 to 1700 is very close to an appropriate safety factor
for when you are lifting stuff that could fall on you or do thousands
of dollars of damage to your boat. I wonder if he misunderstood when
someone told him the lifting gear needed to withstand 1700 pounds. If
the engines are 350 pounds, that's about what he should be looking for
in breaking strength for the lifting strap.

--

Roger Long

t...

HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Humvee Diesel Engines for Boats JimH General 4 February 12th 05 02:01 PM
Two engines, single prop? Y General 19 January 22nd 05 10:01 PM
Gasoline Engines - Four-Cycle winder General 0 December 28th 04 11:02 AM
Huh? Diesel engines don't last 800 hours before major repairs?? JAXAshby General 209 August 14th 04 12:58 PM