JimH

Default Humvee Diesel Engines for Boats

W.W.Williams' Marine Power division has a new line of marine diesels
available, the Optimizer 6500, produced by MarineDiesel-USA in Stillwater,
OK. The engine line has 6.5-liter, 8-cylinder blocks with 170 to 400 brake
horsepower that are the marinized version of the rugged Humvee military
vehicles. The engines are compact, lightweight and designed for repowers as
well as OEM installations.
"It is the ideal 'plug and play' repower engine for most GM-based marine
engines," said Aven Sharp, Vice President of W.W. Williams. "A typical
repower can be done in an 8-hour working day as it is a direct bolt-in
replacement. It is also compatible with most of the major stern drive
products in the market."

A center-rise exhaust system helps simplify conversions, as do the
standardized electrical harness connection and the engine and bell housing
mountings. The durability of the long-life cycle of diesel engines coupled
with performance similar to that of larger, gasoline-powered engines, make
the Optimizer 6500 a definite option to consider for repowering, even before
adding in that it has one of the lowest fuel consumption ratings in the
industry.

http://www.theboatingnews.com/0404EngineSpecial.html

Curtis CCR

Is there something special about "humvee" diesels? When I was in the
air force (left the air guard 11 years ago) the humvee engines looked
just like the ones that were in our Blazers and Suburbans (of course
Suburbans were always referred to as "Carry-Alls" as I recall that's
what Chevy first called them). They had different air cleaners and
such, but they looked and performed about the same as the Chevy trucks.

I guess nobody would be impressed if someone had adapted a a Chevy
pickup engine for boats - it sounds better to refer to the "mil spec'd"
hummer. No?

JimH

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there something special about "humvee" diesels? When I was in the
air force (left the air guard 11 years ago) the humvee engines looked
just like the ones that were in our Blazers and Suburbans (of course
Suburbans were always referred to as "Carry-Alls" as I recall that's
what Chevy first called them). They had different air cleaners and
such, but they looked and performed about the same as the Chevy trucks.

I guess nobody would be impressed if someone had adapted a a Chevy
pickup engine for boats - it sounds better to refer to the "mil spec'd"
hummer. No?

I was very tempted to ask if you ever looked at things in a positive light
(see Curtis's last 2 posts) but the proof was in the pudding.

Lighten up Curtis.

Tim

Sounds to me like somebody is getting a good [?] deal on some left over
stock.

IMHO, the 6.5 turbo diesel is a POS. it's an after thought of the 6.2.

Humvee/Hummer is owned by GM. so thats why they had the 6.5 in them to
begin with. The reason they stick with the 4.6 is because they are easy
for maintenance.

but they suck on power. the marine engine? where they are boasting of
up to 400 horse? Odd they would now think of that seeing the Cummins
5.9 was doing that in marine applications over 10 years ago.

I'd say that if I was wanting a hotrod diesel, I'd either want the
cummins or something like a ford 7.3 "powerstroke"

the new Duramax would be a great alternate too!

Tim

I was very tempted to ask if you ever looked at things in a positive
light
(see Curtis's last 2 posts) but the proof was in the pudding.

Sorry Jim for my "negetive" views

I just think they could have made a beter choice in their power
selection.

Tim