Allan Bart

Default Palmer Diesel Engines

Hi,

I have an opportunity to purchase at very low cost a clumbia 34 with an
old palmer diesel. I was wondering about what would you substitute for the
original and how much would it cost?

Regards,

Allan Bart
DSK

Allan Bart wrote:

Hi,

I have an opportunity to purchase at very low cost a clumbia 34 with an
old palmer diesel.

heh heh guess why it's available "at very low cost."

I was wondering about what would you substitute for the
original and how much would it cost?

Try this

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/repower/home.htm

Also, cost out new sails, new rigging, replacement winches, replacing the
wiring & most of the electrical components, if it has one of those old junker
pressure alcohol stove then you'll need a new one of those, will you want to
upgrade to refrigeration, etc etc.

It would easily be possible to spend multiples tens of thousands of dollars
fixing up this boat. It would probably cost $15K to get it into safe condition
for minimalist daysailing & coastal cruising.

Ever heard the expression, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch?"

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Parallax

DSK wrote in message ...
Allan Bart wrote:

[...]

You ppl have expensive tastes, I done a lot of coastal cruising
without any refrigeration and cooked on Sterno. Until the last few
months, my sails were 20 yrs old and worked better than I could sail.
I have never seen a winch wear out where it couldnt be repaired. Do
wires wear out? (check em). I guess my boat (22 yr old S2)is unsafe
cuz it cant refrigerate the beer. I would replace the standing
rigging, lifelines, and running rigging.
DSK

Parallax wrote:

You ppl have expensive tastes,

Depends on how you define "expensive." Compared to the way Yuppie Americanus likes to
live, my wife and I live like refugees.

I done a lot of coastal cruising
without any refrigeration and cooked on Sterno. Until the last few
months, my sails were 20 yrs old and worked better than I could sail.

What you're really saying is "My boat won't go to windward and I never noticed, and
(choose one of the two following) (1-) I don't mind taping them back together after they
blow to shreds (2-) I never sail in winds more than five knots."

Old sails are weak & poorly shaped, they tend to blow out at predictable intervals.
Usually by the time a sail has ten seasons on it, the panels are seriously deformed and
the stitching is shot. This affects the boats helm too.

Many "cruising only" sailors have never sailed with good sails, and don't know the
difference. If your sails make you happy, then good. But that doesn't mean that good sails
don't exist, or that they're not better.

I have never seen a winch wear out where it couldnt be repaired.

Sometimes the repair is more trouble & cost than it's worth. Why repair old crappy
winches? There's a fellow on our dock who is "restoring" his mid-1960s mass produced
racer-cruiser complete with bottom-crank one speed winches, which were way undersized. He
can't find the right springs or pawls (and no wonder since these things have been out of
production for 30 years), so he's hand filing assorted small parts to fit. Maybe he can
get them working 90% as good as new, but that was a pretty low standard to start with.

Do
wires wear out? (check em).

Electric wires or rigging wires? Electric wires don't wear out, but then again they do
corrode & get brittle & chafe thru insulation & slip connections; and also old boat wiring
was often not done properly to start with. Rigging wire definitely wears out, so do
sheaves.

I guess my boat (22 yr old S2)is unsafe
cuz it cant refrigerate the beer.

Good heavens! How can you stand it?

I would replace the standing
rigging, lifelines, and running rigging.

But not the sails, huh? How about rudder bearings?

Little things add up, in terms of cost and operational capability.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Parallax

DSK wrote in message ...
Parallax wrote:

[...]

Doug:

Your talk of repairing sails gives me another idea.........Sails made
of Duct tape, endlessly repairable and can be easily altered.
Seriously, for such an old boat, there are many lofts offering
serviceable 2nd hand sails at reasonable cost. Its a good way to get
her back in shape without a huge cost all at once.
As you say, rudder bearings worry me too, I wish there was a way to
check internal rudder structural integrity............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Wait till next post.

DSK

Parallax wrote:

Doug:

Your talk of repairing sails gives me another idea.........Sails made
of Duct tape, endlessly repairable and can be easily altered.

That a great idea... brings to mind the perpetual mechanic's conundrum... what do you fix a
broken hammer with?

Seriously, for such an old boat, there are many lofts offering
serviceable 2nd hand sails at reasonable cost. Its a good way to get
her back in shape without a huge cost all at once.

Yes, and often there are local racing fleets with nearly new sail inventories that can be had
quite reasonably... even free if you're part of the class....

I wasn't trying to say that one *has* to rush out and buy spiffy brand new sails, only saying
that good sails are worth having. They could even be considered a necessity for safety in some
cases, what with lee shores and all.

As you say, rudder bearings worry me too, I wish there was a way to
check internal rudder structural integrity............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Wait till next post.

Argh.. bad pun, bad bad bad

Fresh Pancakes
Doug King

Huh? Diesel engines don't last 800 hours before major repairs?? JAXAshby General 209 August 14th 04 12:58 PM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 07:46 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM
diesel fuel tanks P.C. Boat Building 2 August 22nd 03 04:10 AM