Default You're all wet, or the how to dry out your wet hull tango

On 4/28/2011 8:23 PM, Flying Pig wrote:
We're just NORTH of the bridge.

I have no local knowledge of damages recent - but just happened to be
talking with one of the owners who was speaking of what they had done when
they built, and that other marinas hadn't.

During a long-ago hurricane, those marinas were very badly hit. So far as I
know, all are in operation again...

L8R

Skip

Thanks.

Hmmm. I wasn't even aware of a yard north of the bridge road.

"slide" wrote in message
Thanks.

Hmmm. I wasn't even aware of a yard north of the bridge road.

Riverside Marina
2350 Old Dixie Highway
Ft. Pierce FL 34946

Physically just over the line in Lucie, with a FTP mailing address.

L8R

Skip, urgently working to get out of this filthy, theft-ridden yard

PS the system is working. Wetting it has opened up new sources of WSM (as a
technical paper done for the USCG many years ago refers to water soluble
material) which have absorbed water, bringing it out to the surface where it
washes off readily. Grinding back until the laminations are secure in each
of those spots (confirmed by the absence of any more weep spots, even after
pressure washing) gives us a reasonable expectation that after a few more
cycles of that, and then doing a proper repair on the ground-out spots, our
pleasure should be enhanced the next time we're hauled, however many years
that is from now (our last bottom job lasted 4 years)...

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
"slide" wrote in message
[...]

. . . and new blisters still reared their ugly heads as they will again the
next time you haul out so you will spend every haulout doing repeated
blister repair. Not too bright, Skippy!!!

Get a clue and do it right. Dry the freaking hull out until a moisture meter
says it's dry and then coat it inside and out with a barrier coat. Or, what
you should REALLY do is unload that POS on some unsuspecting Rube and buy a
real ocean-going boat that is about twenty years old and has no blisters. If
it has gone that long without blisters chances are excellent it will never
get blisters.

Life is too short to abide junk, Skippy. If you were any kind of man you
wouldn't burden the woman you love with junk. You'd get her something
excellent as she deserves nothing less.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-...%20feet&n h=2

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/22434

Check out the Bayfield 40 for example. She's a real beauty. Canadian-built
boats don't usually have blister problems. Why? Precisely because of the low
humidity situation when the hulls were laid up.

Wilbur Hubbard

On 4/30/2011 3:18 AM, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

You really don't get it, do you.

As usual, Bruce is correct. Here's a well done analysis of the issue:

http://www.zahnisers.com/repair/blister/blister1.htm

"slide" wrote in message
On 4/30/2011 3:18 AM, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

You really don't get it, do you.

As usual, Bruce is correct. Here's a well done analysis of the issue:

http://www.zahnisers.com/repair/blister/blister1.htm

As usual, Bruce relies totally on irrelevant theories he reads from magazine
articles. All he really needs to do, but won't, is spend some time in boat
yards. If he did he would see the futility of spraying the hull with water
as a way to eliminate blisters. Ludicrous, just plain ludicrous.

It all goes right along with the old saying, "Those who can, do. Those who
can't, teach." Bruce obviously can't so he tries to teach. He's a PUTZ!

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 01 May 2011 08:01:40 -0600, slide
wrote:

On 4/30/2011 3:18 AM, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

You really don't get it, do you.

As usual, Bruce is correct. Here's a well done analysis of the issue:

http://www.zahnisers.com/repair/blister/blister1.htm

I missed many of these posts about "osmosis" and Skip spraying water
on the hull, but early on read that article - and others.
Concluded that Neal didn't understand the type of osmosis taking
place, and that Skip is doing more harm than good in spraying his
bottom.
Any reading of the above article and others says you want to avoid
causing more hydrolysis of the laminate.
For example, older boats have more porous gel coats and no blistering,
but suffer from severe deep delamiination.
As I recall, Skip mentioned the spraying "washes out the acids" or
something to that effect.
But to get those acids out by more absorption of water he's weakening
the laminate.
You'll note in the above article the suggested repair is new outer
laminate. That's an expensive proposition.
But an alternate handling of blisters is to just grind them off, let
the hull dry, epoxy the blisters properly, then barrier coat.
Further hydrolysis will get blisters back again, but that can't be
helped.
There's no way to read that article and think otherwise.
Gee, I wish I had a boat to worry about.

--Vic

On Sun, 01 May 2011 12:35:52 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Gee, I wish I had a boat to worry about.

One is really not enough... :-)

On Sun, 1 May 2011 09:09:11 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
"slide" wrote in message
[...]

The most positive thing that can be said about this post is:

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us
worthy evidence of the fact.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Sun, 1 May 2011 10:29:43 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"slide" wrote in message
On 4/30/2011 3:18 AM, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

You really don't get it, do you.

As usual, Bruce is correct. Here's a well done analysis of the issue:

http://www.zahnisers.com/repair/blister/blister1.htm

As usual, Bruce relies totally on irrelevant theories he reads from magazine
articles. All he really needs to do, but won't, is spend some time in boat
yards. If he did he would see the futility of spraying the hull with water
as a way to eliminate blisters. Ludicrous, just plain ludicrous.

It all goes right along with the old saying, "Those who can, do. Those who
can't, teach." Bruce obviously can't so he tries to teach. He's a PUTZ!

Wilbur Hubbard

Ah Willie-what an analysis. Well thought out, carefully analyzed, well
articulated, and wrong.

You have a problem Willie-boy, you can't seem to comprehend what you
read. The point is that you can't remove the basic problem - these
"osmosis" chemicals in the laminate - completely and thus eliminate
the cause of the blisters, all you can do is remove as much of the
problem as you can and then seal the hull by using a barrier coat to
prevent new water ingress.

Oh by the way Willie-boy, the references I gave you were web sites
where people who were trying to let you in on the real causes of
osmosis and how to treat it had posted.... but you were too dumb to
read them and so are left with your antiquated ideas. Unfortunately,
while you can argue that the earth is flat (else we'd all fall off)
and repeat the same old saws - stands to reason, everybody knows, and
so on - but you will have difficulties "proving it". Just like your
wild eyed fantasies about osmosis.

Willie-boy, you really, really, should learn that by keeping your
mouth firmly closed you greatly reduce your chances of being exposed
as ignorant.

Wet or dry? Harold[_2_] General 32 July 1st 10 01:36 AM
To store dry or wet? Eddie General 4 July 25th 09 10:46 PM
Wet or dry suit, or just skin? Moby Dick General 23 March 10th 07 02:33 AM
Dry to Wet exhaust Jim and Becky Boat Building 6 December 25th 05 12:14 PM