Default Ping: Skippy!

I repowered my positive flotation, blue water, cruising yacht for $1,500.
Removing the old motor and installing the new motor took about twenty
minutes. No muss, no fuss! No disruption to the interior of the yacht,
either.

How much would it cost you to repower the Flying Pig?
How many weeks downtime would there be?
How huge a mess would it make in the accommodation?
How sore would your back be?
How close to serving you with divorce papers would Lydia be? lol

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:09:36 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

I repowered my positive flotation, blue water, cruising yacht for $1,500.
Removing the old motor and installing the new motor took about twenty
minutes. No muss, no fuss! No disruption to the interior of the yacht,
either.

How much would it cost you to repower the Flying Pig?
How many weeks downtime would there be?
How huge a mess would it make in the accommodation?
How sore would your back be?
How close to serving you with divorce papers would Lydia be? lol

]

How would your outboard perform on a 46 ft, 40,000 pound boat?

How big is your alternator?

What is your fuel range under power?

What is the expected longevity in operating hours?

Can your outboard be used to heat water?

What are the chances that your outboard could save you from a lee
shore in a severe squall?

wrote:

I repowered my positive flotation, blue water, cruising yacht for $1,500.
Removing the old motor and installing the new motor took about twenty
minutes. No muss, no fuss! No disruption to the interior of the yacht,
either.

How much would it cost you to repower the Flying Pig?
How many weeks downtime would there be?
How huge a mess would it make in the accommodation?
How sore would your back be?
How close to serving you with divorce papers would Lydia be? lol

]

How would your outboard perform on a 46 ft, 40,000 pound boat?

It would not perform on a way-too-big boat that size.

How big is your alternator?

My car has an alternator. My sailboat and any sailboat shouldn't have one.

What is your fuel range under power?

Why would I know? I have sails that will take me around the world without
any fossil fuel. The motor is only to get me in and out of inlets, narrow
channels etc where there is no wind. This is what a sailboat is all about -
sailing, not motoring.

What is the expected longevity in operating hours?

The Tohatsu-made, Mariner 3.3HP on my dinghy is fifteen years old and still
going strong. Probably has several thousand hours on it.

Can your outboard be used to heat water?

What a silly question. Using an outboard to heat water is about as stupid as
using a diesel to heat water. Who needs hot water on a sailboat in the first
place? If I want hot water for coffee, for example, that's what the stove is
for.

What are the chances that your outboard could save you from a lee
shore in a severe squall?

My sailing skills would save me from a lee shore in a storm. Chances are
good I would never be found on a lee shore in any storm big enough to drive
me ashore. A squall is of little or no consequence. That's what anchors are
for if necessary. That you would even think of relying on a motor to keep
you off a lee shore tells me you're no sailor and in for a big surprise when
you motor conks out one of these days.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:00:50 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I repowered my positive flotation, blue water, cruising yacht for $1,500.
Removing the old motor and installing the new motor took about twenty
minutes. No muss, no fuss! No disruption to the interior of the yacht,
either.

How much would it cost you to repower the Flying Pig?
How many weeks downtime would there be?
How huge a mess would it make in the accommodation?
How sore would your back be?
How close to serving you with divorce papers would Lydia be? lol

]

How would your outboard perform on a 46 ft, 40,000 pound boat?

It would not perform on a way-too-big boat that size.

46 ft is actually a pretty good size for living aboard and long range
cruising.

How big is your alternator?

My car has an alternator. My sailboat and any sailboat shouldn't have one.

Only if you need to charge your batteries in a reasonable length of
time.

What is your fuel range under power?

Why would I know? I have sails that will take me around the world without
any fossil fuel. The motor is only to get me in and out of inlets, narrow
channels etc where there is no wind. This is what a sailboat is all about -
sailing, not motoring.

And if you are dismasted while offshore? Or becalmed in the doldrums?

What is the expected longevity in operating hours?

The Tohatsu-made, Mariner 3.3HP on my dinghy is fifteen years old and still
going strong. Probably has several thousand hours on it.

A good fresh water cooled diesel should go at least 5,000 hours?

Can your outboard be used to heat water?

What a silly question. Using an outboard to heat water is about as stupid as
using a diesel to heat water. Who needs hot water on a sailboat in the first
place? If I want hot water for coffee, for example, that's what the stove is
for.

If you have no need to bathe or wash dishes, no need for hot water at
all.

What are the chances that your outboard could save you from a lee
shore in a severe squall?

My sailing skills would save me from a lee shore in a storm.

Unless you were dismasted over overwhelmed.

Chances are
good I would never be found on a lee shore in any storm big enough to drive
me ashore.

A squall is of little or no consequence.

Unless you are in one.

That's what anchors are
for if necessary. That you would even think of relying on a motor to keep
you off a lee shore tells me you're no sailor and in for a big surprise when
you motor conks out one of these days.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wayne, come on, guy.
THAT boat isn't going off shore.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 23:37:59 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote this crap:

Can your outboard be used to heat water?

What a silly question. Using an outboard to heat water is about as stupid as
using a diesel to heat water. Who needs hot water on a sailboat in the first
place? If I want hot water for coffee, for example, that's what the stove is
for.

My stove doesn't work. I took the propane tank off. I use the
microwave for cooking.

If you have no need to bathe or wash dishes, no need for hot water at
all.

Wash dishes? I throw mine away. They're only paper.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

On 7/15/10 4:35 AM, Bloody Horvath wrote:

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

heheheh. A joke, right? If we're lucky, Palin will never be elected to
another political office. If her daughter and the again-intended have a
brain between them, they'll move out of Mama Bear's house.
mmc mmc is offline

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Wayne, come on, guy.
THAT boat isn't going off shore.

When I was in Nigeria, my driver told me that they have a space program. The
image that came to mind was of the ACME Giant Rubber Band slung between 2
trees.
This comparison between Nealbur's yellow tub and Skips boat made me think of
that Giant Rubber Band.

Default Skippy!

Hi, Willy :{))

All the jibes aside/ignored as your usual rabble-rousing, I'm impressed...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

I repowered my positive flotation, blue water, cruising yacht for $1,500.

A new 6HP saildrive unit for $1500. Now THAT's impressive.

FWIW, even the little Honda genset which we do use occasionally when there's
no wind and sun to allow my green reseources to charge us up/keep us full,
has many users reporting upward of 10,000 hours.

Perkins 4-154s in farm service regularly get that much time on them as well.

As such, barring some excitement we can't foresee, as we've just gone over
4k hours on the rebuilt unit which was installed during a prior owner's
time, following (presuming the hourmeter which was still in place when the
new tach/hourmeter was installed was stopped on the exchange, or perhaps
before) hard charter service of nearly 7 years, we expect we'll never get to
the end of the life of our auxiliary propulsion unit.

That said, parts for this unit are becoming a bit like hen's teeth, and a
critical part failure could result in a repower. If so, I expect that we'd
go to a Cummins unit which is pretty close to a drop-in.

Costs, of course, are an issue - but we have reserves for that specific
purpose. Downtime would be about a day, as there are no exhangeable parts,
and the mechanics of removal and replacement are pretty straightforward. A
sistership just installed a rebuilt in less than a day, which is about what
I'd expect for ours, should the day arrive.

Careful maintenance has us expecting a very long life on Perky...

So, when are you going to come whip our sorry asses cruising the Bahamas?
We'll be here, we expect, for almost another year, unless, when we come back
in a couple of weeks, we decide to head further before coming back for a
wedding in March of next year.

After that, we don't have any plans, because cruising plans are always
subject to change, but we might do Mexico (after the FL coast and keys,
which we've jumped over every other time), or the WC, or, just come back to
the Bahamas and work our way down to the EC...

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)

Skippy Sycophants Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 24 November 5th 08 07:38 PM
Skippy has a long way to go . . . Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 0 October 7th 08 12:43 AM
Just for Skippy Gregory Hall Cruising 1 September 18th 08 11:41 PM
What moon does Skippy look at? Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 5 August 9th 08 06:36 PM
Skippy's cabin cruiser? Don White General 5 January 27th 06 11:24 PM