Default Skippy!

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:49:56 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:41:09 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
snip

It should be pointed out that Wilbur BROKE his boom by attemting to
install mid-boom sheeting on a rig not strong enough to allow it.

The Coronado has the minimum of everything. It was a price-point boat
aimed at entry level sailors of limited means. Sort of like the Yugo.

Wrong again!

It should be pointed out that I bought the boat with mid-boom sheeting
installed. It was installed at the factory as proven by the illustrations in
the owner's manual.

Wilbur Hubbard

Just as bad! Maybe WORSE! What sort of moronic landlubber would go to
sea with such a dangerous and deficient rig?

And after all that bragging about your "blue water capable" sailboat!

"Unlike non-sailors, I stress my boat to the max under sail. The
single-hander on the Allied and I used to sail out of West Palm Beach
regulary for a rowdy daysail in the Gulf Stream when small craft
advisories where in effect. And we didn't motor. We sailed out and we
sailed back."

You do that KNOWING that you have a seriously underbuilt and
misconfigured rig?

Sounds like Wilbur has a few things to learn about sailing and boats.

To paraphrase the old pilot: There are old seamen and bold seamen, but
no old, bold, seamen...

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Flying Pig" wrote in message

Just what, exactly, broke your boom, by the way? Certainly, a prudent
sailor would not have put themselves in the situation where force was the
cause, and any competant yachtsman would have noticed any incipient
failure due to degradation of hardware and remedied it before failure.

I was anchored in St. Augustine with a fellow single-hander who sails a
32-foot Allied SeaWind ketch. The wind was blowing half a gale out of the
northeast and we decided it would be a good day to sail to Miami just
inside the Stream current.

I was beating my way out the relatively narrow inlet, was about halfway
out the channel under working sail in very steep seas breaking on the bar
and the tack prior to the breakage the boom swung over to the other side
just as the bow slammed into a very steep sea almost stopping the boat
dead in her tracks. When the boom fetched up on the close-hauled mainsheet
which is attached to a traveler atop the coach roof the boom broke in two
goosewinging the mainsail where the aft boom bale (mid-boom sheeting) was
attached to it by four screws - two on either side. The holes for the
screws apparently weakened the boom enough in that area that it allowed it
to break there.

So, you're saying you don't do a regular review of your equipment to notice
weak spots, and that failure led to an equipment failure which caused you to
have to motor ignominiously back to the dock (or anchorage, or mooring,
whichever it was at the time) in "interesting" conditions...

Oh, I forgot. You sailed back. Well, of course, in such winds, the jib or
genny was plenty to drive you home, and easier to douse when you're ready to
stop.

Hm...

I'll still take your tour of the Keys...

L8R

Skip, less than a week away from being back home

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"Flying Pig" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, but I don't have a magnaflux machine on board to regularly inspect my
extrusions and standing rigging.

Oh, I forgot. You sailed back. Well, of course, in such winds, the jib or
genny was plenty to drive you home, and easier to douse when you're ready
to stop.

You got it. I simply came about and ran downwind under headsail and folded
mainsail till the first barrier island where I turned to port and anchored
under sail in the lee. No fuss no muss. I got underway the next day after
going into town to secure the necessary materials.

I'll still take your tour of the Keys...

I never said anything about a tour of the Keys. I believe I might have
mentioned showing you a real blue water cruiser and buying you a beer. I can
give you some local knowledge so maybe you can better stay off the reefs and
bars. lol

Wilbur Hubbard

"Flying Pig" wrote in news:i2a1pb$i14$1
@adenine.netfront.net:

Skip, less than a week away from being back home

Skip, are you aboard the boat in the middle of the tropical storm?

--
iPhone 4 is to cellular technology what the Titanic is to cruise ships.

Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
"Flying Pig" wrote in news:i2a1pb$i14$1
@adenine.netfront.net:

Skip, are you aboard the boat in the middle of the tropical storm?

No, we're ashore, returning on Wednesday night. The boat's up a canal
system in Leisure Lee, just south of Treasure Island. We've been watching
this (and anything else of potential interest) closely during our time
ashore, of course.

From the most recent tropical update:

THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED.

Thanks for asking. The worst local forecast had high 20s ending today,
going back to mid-teens/low 20s in the next couple of days, and then into
low double digits leading to mid single-digit breezes by a week from now.

Meanwhile, Lydia's in Charleston, shopping for wedding stuff...

L8R

Skip
--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)

Hi, Wilbur!

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Sorry, but I don't have a magnaflux machine on board to regularly inspect
my extrusions and standing rigging.

Of course not - nothing fancy on your bluewater cruiser!

However, I've found that a regular inspection of all attachments and
connected parts usually gives pretty fair warning of failure. It was just
such inspection that caused us to go to new standing rigging last summer. A
tink or two with a small striking instrument tells a great deal about sheets
(think of the boom surface as a sheet of aluminum) of metal, not to mention
decks and other supposedly solid surfaces. I rather expect that such effort
might have given you fair warning of your failure.

OTOH, you have a self-proclaimed greatly stoutened rig, now. What did all
that extra weight do to your heeling moment, not to mention the momentum of
the boom as it swings? How long are those GIPs?

You got it. I simply came about and ran downwind under headsail and folded
mainsail till the first barrier island where I turned to port and anchored
under sail in the lee. No fuss no muss. I got underway the next day after
going into town to secure the necessary materials.

Did you swim, or do you have a dink aboard?

I never said anything about a tour of the Keys. I believe I might have
mentioned showing you a real blue water cruiser and buying you a beer. I
can give you some local knowledge so maybe you can better stay off the
reefs and bars. lol

The only bars I make it a point to stay off are the ones which are noisy and
generate mostly alcohol sales :{))

That said, Navionics promises that they have much updated charts soon to
arrive for our plotter, so perhaps their multiple uncharted reefs and shoals
in the Bahamas might now be shown, and the FL area better (though I've heard
from other cruisers that the Navionics US charts are spot-on).

That said, another cruising buddy just posted in a mailing list about his
unintentional careening off Sandy Hook in NJ, on a sand bar which wasn't
there in the most recent update to that area's charts, so I understand that
shifting sand is always a crap shoot, and CURRENT (like within the last
couple of days) local knowledge always beats a chart of unknown
provenance...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)

"Flying Pig" wrote in news:i2c8g7$25ju$1
@adenine.netfront.net:

Meanwhile, Lydia's in Charleston, shopping for wedding stuff...

Hey! We appreciate bringing any Yankee money you can spare and spending it
in our stores.

Thanks!

--
iPhone 4 is to cellular technology what the Titanic is to cruise ships.

Larry

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:33:45 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

That said, another cruising buddy just posted in a mailing list about his
unintentional careening off Sandy Hook in NJ, on a sand bar which wasn't
there in the most recent update to that area's charts

That area of Sandy Hook has always been dangerous and the chart
usually says something about "shoaling reported". My guess is that
he was trying to maneuver in close for a better look at the clothing
optional beach.

Skippy Sycophants Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 24 November 5th 08 07:38 PM
Skippy has a long way to go . . . Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 0 October 7th 08 12:43 AM
Just for Skippy Gregory Hall Cruising 1 September 18th 08 11:41 PM
What moon does Skippy look at? Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 5 August 9th 08 06:36 PM
Skippy's cabin cruiser? Don White General 5 January 27th 06 11:24 PM