Default Skippy!

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Perkins 4-154s in farm service regularly get that much time on them as
well.

As such, barring some excitement we can't foresee, as we've just gone over
4k hours on the rebuilt unit which was installed during a prior owner's
time, following (presuming the hourmeter which was still in place when the
new tach/hourmeter was installed was stopped on the exchange, or perhaps
before) hard charter service of nearly 7 years, we expect we'll never get
to the end of the life of our auxiliary propulsion unit.

Make that 7000 hours, not 7 years...

Sorry...

At our current usage, at a current ~4k hours, it will take us another 12-15
years to get to the old hourmeter's reading, let alone 10KH

L8R

Skip, non-political so not following the meanderings...

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Hi, Willy :{))

All the jibes aside/ignored as your usual rabble-rousing, I'm impressed...

Spoil sport!

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

I repowered my positive flotation, blue water, cruising yacht for $1,500.

A new 6HP saildrive unit for $1500. Now THAT's impressive.

Not a saildrive. That would be about as bad as an inboard diesel. Lower end
always in the water corroding away, needing zincs, needing scraping, right
there for lobster and crab pot leaders to catch, slowing the boat down about
a knot even if not snagged by anything. You should know better. An outboard
on the transom which can be lifted completely out of the water is the ONLY
way to go on a real sailboat. What you have is a motor sailer - not a
sailboat. I'm afraid you'll never experience the joy of a real sailboat at
the rate you're going.

FWIW, even the little Honda genset which we do use occasionally when
there's no wind and sun to allow my green reseources to charge us up/keep
us full, has many users reporting upward of 10,000 hours.

Sad that some people admit to having to run a generator that many hours. I
wish people like that would stay home on the grid where they belong. There
very existence in an anchorage is vexing to we considerate folk.

Perkins 4-154s in farm service regularly get that much time on them as
well.

And the diesels in locomotives do better than that by far. So, what's the
point other than an admission of extreme motor headedness?

As such, barring some excitement we can't foresee, as we've just gone over
4k hours on the rebuilt unit which was installed during a prior owner's
time, following (presuming the hourmeter which was still in place when the
new tach/hourmeter was installed was stopped on the exchange, or perhaps
before) hard charter service of nearly 7 years, we expect we'll never get
to the end of the life of our auxiliary propulsion unit.

Famous last words! But, you just refused to answer the questions. How
disruptive is that going to be? Answer: very - at least a week or two's
worth of disruption. How expensive? Answer: very - probably 10,000 dollars
or more all told. That should tell you something, Skippy, which is you are
in the same league with WayneB. Only he's more honest going stickless. He's
an out-of-the-closet polluter and proud of it. While I abhor those producing
large quantities of recreational pollution, I don't think being dishonest
about doing the same is any less admirable.

That said, parts for this unit are becoming a bit like hen's teeth, and a
critical part failure could result in a repower. If so, I expect that
we'd go to a Cummins unit which is pretty close to a drop-in.

Pretty close = equals perhaps an extra two or three days sorting things out.

Costs, of course, are an issue - but we have reserves for that specific
purpose. Downtime would be about a day, as there are no exhangeable
parts, and the mechanics of removal and replacement are pretty
straightforward. A sistership just installed a rebuilt in less than a
day, which is about what I'd expect for ours, should the day arrive.

Downtime about a day? LOL. He'll you'll be lucky if it doesn't take more
than a day getting towed to a yard to arrange to get hauled. In the Bahamas,
mon, try two or three days or more. Be honest, Skippy, a repower will
probably involve several weeks downtime much of that on the hard.

Careful maintenance has us expecting a very long life on Perky...

Keeping fingers crossed. smirk

So, when are you going to come whip our sorry asses cruising the Bahamas?
We'll be here, we expect, for almost another year, unless, when we come
back in a couple of weeks, we decide to head further before coming back
for a wedding in March of next year.

Most certainly not in the summertime which is the worst time to cruise the
Bahamas. Terribly fickle and shifty winds, almost daily thunder and
lightning, hot, humid, bugs, chances good to receive a direct hit from a
hurricane, few decent hurricane holes and even those are full of hazards
from stupid boaters who don't have a clue as to how to secure their vessels.

Coming back for a wedding? ROFLOL. Weddings are for women, Skippy. Does the
distaff side there run the program? Wear the pants? Rule the roost?
snickers

After that, we don't have any plans, because cruising plans are always
subject to change, but we might do Mexico (after the FL coast and keys,
which we've jumped over every other time), or the WC, or, just come back
to the Bahamas and work our way down to the EC...

If you do cruise the Keys let me know. I'll buy you and the ball and chain a
beer and give you a tour of the yacht so you'll finally have an inkling of
what a real sailboat is all about.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:38:06 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote this crap:

Not a saildrive. That would be about as bad as an inboard diesel. Lower end
always in the water corroding away, needing zincs, needing scraping, right
there for lobster and crab pot leaders to catch, slowing the boat down about
a knot even if not snagged by anything. You should know better. An outboard
on the transom which can be lifted completely out of the water is the ONLY
way to go on a real sailboat. What you have is a motor sailer - not a
sailboat. I'm afraid you'll never experience the joy of a real sailboat at
the rate you're going.

What a dumbass. Only the shaft and prop is in the water. The prop
folds up so there is no drag.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

wrote this crap:

[...]

sail drive:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...1b00b7cb80fe03

Please look at the nice little pictures. Like I said, lower end and prop
always in the water. The worst of both worlds.

Wilbur Hubbard

--

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Hi, Willy :{))

All the jibes aside/ignored as your usual rabble-rousing, I'm
impressed...

Spoil sport!

:{))

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

I repowered my positive flotation, blue water, cruising yacht for
$1,500.

A new 6HP saildrive unit for $1500. Now THAT's impressive.

Not a saildrive. That would be about as bad as an inboard diesel.

My mistake, indeed. I somehow remembered "saildrive" - and, yet, a new 6hp
at 1500 is pretty good, too...

FWIW, even the little Honda genset which we do use occasionally when
there's no wind and sun to allow my green reseources to charge us up/keep
us full, has many users reporting upward of 10,000 hours.

Sad that some people admit to having to run a generator that many hours. I
wish people like that would stay home on the grid where they belong. There
very existence in an anchorage is vexing to we considerate folk.

The ones who are doing that are off-road campers, with all the comforts of
home. It's not a matter of "have to" but "can" and get an amortized, with
maintenance, cost of under a dime an hour.

Famous last words! But, you just refused to answer the questions. How
disruptive is that going to be? Answer: very - at least a week or two's
worth of disruption. How expensive? Answer: very - probably 10,000 dollars
or more all told. That should tell you something, Skippy, which is you
are in the same league with WayneB. Only he's more honest going stickless.
He's an out-of-the-closet polluter and proud of it. While I abhor those
producing large quantities of recreational pollution, I don't think being
dishonest about doing the same is any less admirable.

Not quite. I gave you a direct comparison to our circumstance. About a
day.

That said, parts for this unit are becoming a bit like hen's teeth, and
critical part failure could result in a repower. If so, I expect that
we'd go to a Cummins unit which is pretty close to a drop-in.

Pretty close = equals perhaps an extra two or three days sorting things
out.

Maybe. But planning is everything :{)) There's no significant event (sail
change, reef, anchoring etc.) which doesn't have a run-through with the
Admiral beforehand.

Costs, of course, are an issue - but we have reserves for that specific
purpose. Downtime would be about a day, as there are no exhangeable
parts, and the mechanics of removal and replacement are pretty
straightforward. A sistership just installed a rebuilt in less than a
day, which is about what I'd expect for ours, should the day arrive.

Downtime about a day? LOL. He'll you'll be lucky if it doesn't take more
than a day getting towed to a yard to arrange to get hauled. In the
Bahamas, mon, try two or three days or more. Be honest, Skippy, a repower
will probably involve several weeks downtime much of that on the hard.

Fortunately, this, like most, doesn't fail catastrophically, but gives lots
of clear warnings, along with gradual failure, well noticed in advance of
actual need. Most 4-154 rebuilds or replacements are pre-emptive, rather
than failures.

As we're nearly as anal as you about when we turn on the engine, at the rate
we're going, we'll likely have several years' warning of need.

Careful maintenance has us expecting a very long life on Perky...

Keeping fingers crossed. smirk

Well, yes, just like every other piece of gear.

Just what, exactly, broke your boom, by the way? Certainly, a prudent
sailor would not have put themselves in the situation where force was the
cause, and any competant yachtsman would have noticed any incipient failure
due to degradation of hardware and remedied it before failure.

Of course, I accept that another incompetant may have driven his much larger
bow into your secured boom, forcing the break under pressure, or some
similar event not in your control. Oh, I forgot - you'd have noticed him
long before, and made sure, under admiralty law and regulation, to have
avoided such a collision, even if you were the stand-on vessel. So, it must
have been while you were away from the boat.

So, which was it?

So, when are you going to come whip our sorry asses cruising the Bahamas?
We'll be here, we expect, for almost another year, unless, when we come
back in a couple of weeks, we decide to head further before coming back
for a wedding in March of next year.

Most certainly not in the summertime which is the worst time to cruise the
Bahamas. Terribly fickle and shifty winds, almost daily thunder and
lightning, hot, humid, bugs, chances good to receive a direct hit from a
hurricane, few decent hurricane holes and even those are full of hazards
from stupid boaters who don't have a clue as to how to secure their
vessels.

Great timing. We'll be there for quite a while, well beyond the times you
cite.

If you do cruise the Keys let me know. I'll buy you and the ball and chain
a beer and give you a tour of the yacht so you'll finally have an inkling
of what a real sailboat is all about.

You're on. Our expectation is to do the FL coast and keys, as we've jumped
over them the three times we've been by them.

See you in 2011, unless you chase us down first...

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Stamp out Sesquipedalianism

Skippy Sycophants Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 24 November 5th 08 07:38 PM
Skippy has a long way to go . . . Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 0 October 7th 08 12:43 AM
Just for Skippy Gregory Hall Cruising 1 September 18th 08 11:41 PM
What moon does Skippy look at? Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 5 August 9th 08 06:36 PM
Skippy's cabin cruiser? Don White General 5 January 27th 06 11:24 PM