Default Skippy!

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
snipped some
Maybe. But planning is everything :{)) There's no significant event
(sail change, reef, anchoring etc.) which doesn't have a run-through with
the Admiral beforehand.

The Admiral isn't a very flattering name for Lydia, is it?

snippage here too

Just what, exactly, broke your boom, by the way? Certainly, a prudent
sailor would not have put themselves in the situation where force was the
cause, and any competant yachtsman would have noticed any incipient
failure due to degradation of hardware and remedied it before failure.

I was anchored in St. Augustine with a fellow single-hander who sails a
32-foot Allied SeaWind ketch. The wind was blowing half a gale out of the
northeast and we decided it would be a good day to sail to Miami just inside
the Stream current.

I was beating my way out the relatively narrow inlet, was about halfway out
the channel under working sail in very steep seas breaking on the bar and
the tack prior to the breakage the boom swung over to the other side just as
the bow slammed into a very steep sea almost stopping the boat dead in her
tracks. When the boom fetched up on the close-hauled mainsheet which is
attached to a traveler atop the coach roof the boom broke in two
goosewinging the mainsail where the aft boom bale (mid-boom sheeting) was
attached to it by four screws - two on either side. The holes for the screws
apparently weakened the boom enough in that area that it allowed it to break
there.

Now, with the GIP inside as a sleeve and with the boom bales machine screwed
into the GIP (drilled and tapped into the GIP through the aluminum) the
system is much stronger than it originally was. Replacing the boom with the
same extrusion would have been just another accident waiting to happen. This
way the boom is stronger than ever and no hardware hassles such as locating
another gooseneck and end fitting for a larger extrusion, etc. were
experienced.

Of course, I accept that another incompetant may have driven his much

larger
bow into your secured boom, forcing the break under pressure, or some
similar event not in your control. Oh, I forgot - you'd have noticed him
long before, and made sure, under admiralty law and regulation, to have
avoided such a collision, even if you were the stand-on vessel. So, it
must have been while you were away from the boat.

LOL

Unlike non-sailors, I stress my boat to the max under sail. The
single-hander on the Allied and I used to sail out of West Palm Beach
regulary for a rowdy daysail in the Gulf Stream when small craft advisories
where in effect. And we didn't motor. We sailed out and we sailed back.

Now, since you use your motor all the freaking time you might not understand
the beauty of sailing the anchor out, sailing out the inlet, sailing in a
small craft advisory most of the day in the Gulf Stream, sailing back,
sailing into the inlet and anchoring under sail. But, that is my idea of
sailing. Even the Allied captain had his motor running as a 'backup' in and
out the inlets and when anchoring but my motor was in the up position
because I know my boat handles better under balanced working sail than under
engine so what's the use of an engine when the winds are reliable small
craft advisory strength?

Wilbur Hubbard

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:43:44 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Now, with the GIP inside as a sleeve and with the boom bales machine
screwed
into the GIP (drilled and tapped into the GIP through the aluminum) the
system is much stronger than it originally was. Replacing the boom with
the
same extrusion would have been just another accident waiting to happen.
This
way the boom is stronger than ever and no hardware hassles such as
locating
another gooseneck and end fitting for a larger extrusion, etc. were
experienced.

You're such a freakin' hammer mechanic.

Simply not so! Like, for example, the aluminum boom extrusion in cross
section is egg shaped. Now how does one fill, strengthen and support an
egg-shaped cross section with a round pipe? Answer: One cannot. So what does
one do? One uses three galvanized pipes. One large one to fit the round end
of the egg shape and two smaller pipes to fit the pointed spaces that
remain. One chooses sizes that fit snugly but don't have to be hammered
home. That's not hammer mechanicing; that's engineering. The three pipes
where coated with slippery silicone rubber sealant before being slid home.

You have your pee-pee size little boat with a duct taped refridgerator,
etc and pretend to be a sailor.

Electrical tape, inch wide professional quality electrical tape! Again, the
refrigerator is repaired better than new. It took the original aluminum
tubing of the evaporator four years to corrode and develop pinholes whereby
the refrigerant leaked out. Now, with the tightly wrapped tubing completedly
sealed from the elements not only are the pinholes stopped from leaking but
further corrosion is also stopped.

Successful sailors are clever, enterprising and ingenious. We think out of
the box and never believe any lubberly ideas - ideas like if the
refrigerator breaks then throw it away and buy a new one. That's a workable
solution for lubberly dummies who have more money than brains but for we
frugal sailors who enjoy using our hands and brains, the better way to go is
to fix things and fix them better than they were to begin with.

I must admit you can be amusing once in a great while.

It's quite revealing as to the lubberly thought process when one of them
confuses initiative, creativity and enterprise with humor.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 19:15:11 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You are correct - it is not "hammer mechanicing" (whatever that is) it
is called, in the trade, "Shade Tree Engineering" and is carried out
by people without a clue as to what they are doing.

You seem to be saying that in order to attach a fitting to an aluminum
boom that, somehow, the boom must be reinforced with internal tubes -
three in your case. Strange that the millions of sail boats presently
on the water all don't have three joints of water pipe stuffed in the
boom. In fact the vast majority have no reinforcement in the boom,
just properly designed fittings bolted to the boom.

If you want some added evidence that aluminum beams do not require
reinforcement with water pipe you might look at the aviation industry.
In the twenty-some years I worked on aircraft I never saw a single
spar or beam with a galvanized pipe reinforcement, and I worked on
some of the more advanced aircraft of that period.

You have your pee-pee size little boat with a duct taped refridgerator,
etc and pretend to be a sailor.

Electrical tape, inch wide professional quality electrical tape! Again, the
refrigerator is repaired better than new. It took the original aluminum
tubing of the evaporator four years to corrode and develop pinholes whereby
the refrigerant leaked out. Now, with the tightly wrapped tubing completedly
sealed from the elements not only are the pinholes stopped from leaking but
further corrosion is also stopped.

Strange... I had a fridge in my sail boat. Put it in about 15 years
ago and, as of the time I sold the boat, a month ago, never had to
service or top up the refrigerant.

Obviously you had a **** poor installation (probably using galvanized
water pipe) that caused the corrosion.

Successful sailors are clever, enterprising and ingenious. We think out of
the box and never believe any lubberly ideas - ideas like if the
refrigerator breaks then throw it away and buy a new one. That's a workable
solution for lubberly dummies who have more money than brains but for we
frugal sailors who enjoy using our hands and brains, the better way to go is
to fix things and fix them better than they were to begin with.

You might be using your hands but the other part of your claim is
highly questionable, or at least not demonstrated to date.

I must admit you can be amusing once in a great while.

It's quite revealing as to the lubberly thought process when one of them
confuses initiative, creativity and enterprise with humor.

Wilbur Hubbard

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Default Ping: Skippy!

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 08:16:21 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:57:17 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:35:33 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
Why try to promote your flavor of candidate?
That's REALLY old-school now.

Thanks to the activist Supreme Court's sweeping out of a hundred years of
congressional efforts to prevent politicians being bought,
who YOU want is not material - the question is:
what does Business want?

Brian W

In twenty years OR LESS, there will be enough Muslims in America to
elect the government _they_ want.

And it won't be about business...

That's exactly what the Conservative Party of the Native American
Confederation said when Manhattan Island was sold to the White
Eyes......

and they were right!

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

So, can I come over there with you???

Sure, of course you have No rights over here, being a foreigner. :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I don't think that will be all that different from her before long...

With the exception that here, where people are more honest, there is
no bones made about what you were put on this earth for.... to support
the locals through your financial contributories.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 09:38:54 -0400, wrote:

It should be pointed out that Wilbur BROKE his boom by attemting to
install mid-boom sheeting on a rig not strong enough to allow it.

That doesn't seem very seamanlike does it?

wrote in message
snip

It should be pointed out that Wilbur BROKE his boom by attemting to
install mid-boom sheeting on a rig not strong enough to allow it.

The Coronado has the minimum of everything. It was a price-point boat
aimed at entry level sailors of limited means. Sort of like the Yugo.

Wrong again!

It should be pointed out that I bought the boat with mid-boom sheeting
installed. It was installed at the factory as proven by the illustrations in
the owner's manual.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

Electrical tape, inch wide professional quality electrical tape! Again,
the
refrigerator is repaired better than new. It took the original aluminum
tubing of the evaporator four years to corrode and develop pinholes
whereby
the refrigerant leaked out. Now, with the tightly wrapped tubing
completedly
sealed from the elements not only are the pinholes stopped from leaking
but
further corrosion is also stopped.

I apologize for my snide comment on the electrical tape.

My Pinto was making noise so I wrapped some electrical
tape around the muffler.

My car is now quiet, but smells funny.

Next time use some of that sticky-back aluminum tape normally sold for air
conditioner ducts. It works great on mufflers.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 09:38:54 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yes, My last sail boat originally had end boom sheeting to a track far
back in the cockpit. Someone, prior to my owning the boat, converted
that to mid-boom sheeting, sheeted to a tack fixed to the cabin top.
All very successfully.

The secret is to (1) have a boom that is adequate to support mid-boom
loads and (2) to adequately space several attaching points along the
mid section of the boom to spread the load over a substantial portion
of the boom rather then concentrating it at one point.

The calculations are relatively simple and specifications for aluminum
tube is easy to acquire so an unsuccessful attempt to change boom
rigging is simply an example of a profound lack of knowledge.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:42:17 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 09:38:54 -0400, wrote:

It should be pointed out that Wilbur BROKE his boom by attemting to
install mid-boom sheeting on a rig not strong enough to allow it.

That doesn't seem very seamanlike does it?

It's even less seamanlike to believe anything a pretender like salty dog
posts . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Oh? Are you saying that you didn't break your boom?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Skippy Sycophants Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 24 November 5th 08 07:38 PM
Skippy has a long way to go . . . Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 0 October 7th 08 12:43 AM
Just for Skippy Gregory Hall Cruising 1 September 18th 08 11:41 PM
What moon does Skippy look at? Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 5 August 9th 08 06:36 PM
Skippy's cabin cruiser? Don White General 5 January 27th 06 11:24 PM