Default On water in the Bahamas

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message

"SailNOW" wrote in message
easolutions...

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Hoges in WA wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
cavelamb wrote in news:QumdnahCGp7-
:

Larry wrote:
Bob wrote in news:03474373-9b8b-46dd-babc-
:

bob.
Why is rec.boats.cruising suddenly packed with real assholes like
Bob?
What a jerk.

nothing sudden about it...

[snipped]
I'm not sure sailing is anywhere near as safe as it used to be when
everybody in a marina would go crazy looking for someone overdue or
pitch right in to save a sinking yacht whos owner is 300 miles away.
You used to go down the docks and greet every person you meet, usually
taking an hour to get from the parking lot to your electric box
because
you'd get sidetracked talking to someone you struck up a friendly
conversation with who offered to crank up his coffee pot or open his
liqour locker as it WAS after lunch and the sun WAS under the yardarm,
after all. Whatever project you were doing got put on hold to help
your
neighbor whos anchor winch stopped about halfway up the pile of chain
laid out on the dock and three of you decided to pitch in an overhaul
it
for him in trade for some booze and a friendly dinner at some bistro
or
other. What happened to all that?

Larry
Make sure you're around in March/April '11 and name your bistro and
your poison.

You can help me work out what needs fixing and I can supply the alcohol
and food.

Seriously, though, I'm now down to 25 sleeps to retirement and on track
for East Coast USA next year.

Hoges in WA

Interesting that you mention heading for the east coast.
I've been thinking about the same thing.

Galveston is closer for me, of course, but it's so miserably hot all
year long.
So is Florida (been there already).

Chesapeake Bay maybe?

If you get out the West Coast, let me know... happy to host a sail on my
boat. It's been pretty wonderful out here lately. Just give me some
notice.

Can't squeeze West Coast into our proposed trip after we're off and
running but definitely looking to detour via SF on the way to get it.
Been a 9ers fan for many years and have to step on to Candlestick before
it goes. Most likely we'll be in your area around Feb '11
Hoges in WA

Hmm... Feb... well, there might be sailing then... hard to say in advance,
but you never know.

"Hoges in WA" wrote in
:

Larry wrote:
[...]

Aha! There ARE some sailors left! We'll be standing on the dock to
help the line handlers tie her up when she arrives.....(c;]

--
http://www.goveg.com/feat/agriproces...UStatement.asp
Watch the FULL video. I dare ya! Shechitah barbarians!

Larry

"SailNOW" wrote in message
easolutions...

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message

"SailNOW" wrote in message
easolutions...

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Larry wrote:
[...]

Not important - We can just look at the Bay and then go find a
restaurant/bar.
We wanted to go to Candlestick on our previous trip but you turned on a full
on blizzard so we hightailed it south to SD instead.

SailNOW wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Larry wrote:
[...]

Thank you.
That's a really generous offer.

If I could afford California I might just take you up on it.

--

Richard Lamb

Hoges in WA wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Larry wrote:
[...]

WeI want to slowly wander up with side-trips to places like Dollieville and
Nashville etc etc. And anything/anywhere else that looks pleasant to visit
and spend a few days. Florida is only to buy the boat. We would be pleased
to catch up with you, too, if you're about the place.
Hoges in WA

North end of Texas, Hoges.
But I'd be glad to take you out on our little lake here.

--

Richard Lamb

Default Ham email and blogs (was) On water in the Bahamas

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 07:31:12 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

That is, unless the connection deteriorates along the way, starting at mid
thousand, but deteriorating to low hundreds. In those cases, since I'm
unwilling to risk having the entirety go poof, at the cost of all those
amps, let alone my need to babysit it, I break it up, post all the segments
but then unpost all but the next in line, and deal with it like that.

Propagation has not been good lately but should start improving again.

If I try, I can usually get a Winlink connect at 1400 bytes/sec which
is a fairly good rate, even for longer messages. We download a 25K
GRIB file every day, usually with no problems. Winlink is very good
about piecing together broken messages. If the GRIB transmission
deteriorates to below 600 BPS, I disconnect and try another PMBO
gateway station. Winlink automatically picks up where it left off and
completes the transmission. It's a great service and a good example
of how ham radio can still be useful in the 21st century.

Default Pactor emailing (was) On water in the Bahamas

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 08:25:52 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

I may have to use several stations to get
a connection (if it doesn't pick up after about 5 "rings" I terminate the
call, because if it can't hear me well enough to start, it's not likely to
persist) to accomplish the multipart upload.

There is one PMBO in Florida who almost never picks up on "5 rings"
but has an otherwise excellent station. I believe he keeps his rigs
on standby and requires a certain amount of time to get them back on
the air. If you connect immediately after he signs off with someone
else, his rig connects immediately.

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 09:13:53 -0700, Gordon wrote:

Do away with Pactor? Might look at winmor.

Why would you want to do away with Pactor? I think it's an excellent
piece of gear, albeit a little over priced. On the other hand it is
not a mass production item and the inventors are entitled to a return
on their investment.

maybe this will help explain?

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...10/04jun_swef/

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...10/04jun_swef/

As the Sun Awakens, NASA Keeps a Wary Eye on Space Weather
NASA Science News

Richard Fisher, head of NASA's Heliophysics Division, explains what it's
all about:

"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we
expect to see much higher levels of solar activity. At the same time,
our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to
solar storms. The intersection of these two issues is what we're getting
together to discuss."

The National Academy of Sciences framed the problem two years ago in a
landmark report entitled "Severe Space Weather Events - Societal and
Economic Impacts." It noted how people of the 21st-century rely on
high-tech systems for the basics of daily life. Smart power grids, GPS
navigation, air travel, financial services and emergency radio
communications can all be knocked out by intense solar activity. A
century-class solar storm, the Academy warned, could cause twenty times
more economic damage than Hurricane Katrina.

Much of the damage can be mitigated if managers know a storm is coming.
Putting satellites in 'safe mode' and disconnecting transformers can
protect these assets from damaging electrical surges. Preventative
action, however, requires accurate forecasting - a job that has been
assigned to NOAA.

"Space weather forecasting is still in its infancy, but we're making
rapid progress," says Thomas Bogdan, director of NOAA's Space Weather
Prediction Center in Boulder, Colorado.

For more information about the meeting, please visit the Space Weather
Enterprise Forum home page at http://www.nswp.gov/swef/swef_2010.html.

Author: Dr. Tony Phillips | Credit: Science@NASA

Off to the the Bahamas Flying Pig[_2_] Cruising 1 September 29th 09 04:55 AM
Off to the Bahamas Wayne.B General 50 June 19th 09 03:38 AM
Bahamas Kenneth P. Turvey General 2 April 19th 08 12:08 AM
bahamas hotel atlantis hotel bahamas grand bahamas island hotel atlantis hotel in the bahamas hotel in the bahamas adfunk Jehad Internet Cruising 0 February 4th 04 11:42 PM