Default Whale strikes

On Sun, 16 May 2010 07:55:00 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2010 18:06:51 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:27:15 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2010 07:59:26 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

After all, porpoise seem to be attracted to small boats and frequently
seem to play in he wake or dive under the boat.

We see that all the time, most recently yesterday at the SW corner of
Puerto Rico. We had two big ones playing in the bow wave for several
minutes, sometimes jumping at right angles to each other in front of
the boat. They are very fast and agile, never getting hit as far as I
know.

Funny, Everyone bitches about jet skiers "wake jumping" but admires
the porpoise playing in the bow wave :-)
Cheers,

Have you ever been in an anchorage with a bunch of crazed jet skiiers
swarming around like mosquitos on steroids?

I'd also maintain that porpoises are smarter than jet skiiers since
they never seem to get hit or run into each other.

Nope. There is a small group of jet skiers that you see in the area
where I'm moored. Usually on a Sunday after noon but they stay away
from the moored boats and the Marina and don't bother anyone.

Over on the other side of the Island they are probably pretty crowded
but those are tourists and no one with any sense goes there.

I thought, from what I've read, that they were banned in many places??

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

[...]

We spent a summer time a few years ago in a river estuary in El Salvador
(Jaltepeque also know as Bahia del Sol, the name of the hotel that's
there) and every couple of weeks a drunk teenager on a jet ski would hit
an anchored boat. They just couldn't seem to remember that when you let
off of the throttle, you loose all steering.

Fortunately, cruising sailboats are built a lot tougher than jet skis.
Typically, while major damage was done to the bow of the jet ski, there
would be a scuff in the gel coat of the boat.

--
Dan Best - (559) 970-9858, Fresno, CA 93705
Kelly-Peterson 44 #233, "Loose Pointer" http://dbsail.org/LoosePointer

Rude Right strikes again... jps General 9 October 12th 09 12:07 AM
Gayanzy Strikes Again Capt. Rob ASA 11 October 28th 06 05:48 PM
The Onion strikes again *JimH* General 4 September 23rd 05 01:49 AM
Red Cross strikes again *JimH* General 11 September 7th 05 06:23 AM