Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Whale strikes

On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:31:15 -0700 (PDT), Bil
wrote:

A good database of whale/sailboat strikes might lead to mitigation
specific to cruisers. At the moment, we don't know whether - for
example - sailing with a sonar depth sounder operating avoids whale/
sailboat strikes.

Well here's another data point for your research. We were recently
approached by a pod of 3 minke whales south of Guadaloupe. The first
was clearly on a collision course so we immediately slowed down to let
him pass ahead. The other 2 passed close astern. The whales were
all about 25 feet long and could have clearly done some serious damage
to us and vice versa.

For the record we are a twin engine displacement trawler with 3 depth
sounders operational, black bottom paint, and white top sides. Our
speed at the time was about 8 knots and the whales seemed totally
oblivious to our presence. Two of the depth sounders operate at 200
khz and the third is a dual beam 200/50 khz.

Back in south Florida we have frequently observed bottle nosed
dolphins seeking us out from large distances away. They like to play
in the wake but we think it is sound that attracts them.