Default not cut out for live aboard cruisin

A couple days ago when I was in Stuart moving my boat, I talked to two
couples who were into long term live-aboard and kinda envied em. Then
I drove back to Tallahassee. When I drove down my very shady winding
street with fresh water ponds and huge oak trees with lots of Spanish
Moss, the contrast hit me between this and the open hot sun exposed to
the wind and salt water of being a live aboard cruiser. I grabbed a
tall glass of ice water and went out onto my screen porch and sat in
the swing watching the fireflies that night listening to the owls
talkin to each other and decided I'll never be a live-aboard cruiser.
I s'pose all of my cruising will be short hops cuz coming home is just
so dang nice. Ligustrum and Magnolia is blooming and their scent is
so thick you can almost taste it in the air. Soon it'll be the
gardenias blooming and then Crepe Myrtle and Kudzu, gawd it's nice. I
guess my ancient age of 54 has caused me to slow down and
smell .....all the plants here and decide I like living on land.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
A couple days ago when I was in Stuart moving my boat, I talked to two
couples who were into long term live-aboard and kinda envied em. Then
I drove back to Tallahassee.

You didn't get killed or injured in an automobile accident *this* trip. And
how much are the car payments? The insurance? What's gasoline costing you
nowadays?

When I drove down my very shady winding
street with fresh water ponds and huge oak trees with lots of Spanish
Moss, the contrast hit me between this and the open hot sun exposed to
the wind and salt water of being a live aboard cruiser.

You didn't get bit by a mosquito carrying equine encephalis *this* time.

I grabbed a
tall glass of ice water and went out onto my screen porch and sat in
the swing watching the fireflies that night listening to the owls
talkin to each other and decided I'll never be a live-aboard cruiser.

And, you tuned out the neighbor's barking dog because there is nothing you
can do about the incessant noise unless you move away? And how about the
loud music? Domestic squabbles? Lawn mowers and weed eaters starting up at
seven in the morning?

You didn't think about how high your property taxes are and how they will
get higher in the future? How your electricity bill always rises. You never
gave thought to that Russian atom bomb that has Tallahassee written on it?
You never looked at yourself in one of your full-length mirrors and thought,
"Good grief, but I sure look soft!"

I s'pose all of my cruising will be short hops cuz coming home is just
so dang nice. Ligustrum and Magnolia is blooming and their scent is
so thick you can almost taste it in the air.

And, how about the air pollution you might not be able to smell? Things like
car exhaust, industrial smoke stack effluent, yard chemicals, dirt, dust
animal dander, carcinogens of all types surrounding you. Tallahassee is
filthy.

Soon it'll be the
gardenias blooming and then Crepe Myrtle and Kudzu, gawd it's nice. I
guess my ancient age of 54 has caused me to slow down and
smell .....all the plants here and decide I like living on lan(d)

Got any poison wood up there? Poison Ivy? Poison Oak? Chiggers and ticks
that carry lime disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever? Black widow
spiders? Brown recluse spiders? How about scorpions? Rattle snakes, water
moccasins in those nice ponds?

Yes, you are the typical lubber. Enjoy your much shorter and less healthy
life while it lasts.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 8 May 2010 11:40:32 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

Live aboard cruising comes in a lot of different flavors and styles so
if you like cruising you need to find a mode that suits you. We've
met a lot of liveaboard cruisers this winter as we've gone through the
Caribbean, everything from a couple who circumnavigated in a 35 ft
sloop, to a couple that live full time on a 48 ft Kady Krogen trawler.
And then there's us, the part time liveaboard cruisers. We've met a
bunch of them also, some who leave their boats in the islands and fly
back and forth, and some who take off for 6 month to 2 years and then
return home for a while. What ever floats your boat so to speak,
there is no right and wrong way. We met our first set of liveaboards
about 10 years ago. They had a mid 40s ketch on which they spent
their winters in the Turks and Caicos, and summers in New England. We
talked to them at some length about the liveaboard life style, and one
of their more interesting comments was that the happiest couples
seemed to be the ones that still had a home ashore somewhere. I had
never thought about that as being desirable but can now see the logic
to it, and my wife wouldn't have it any other way.

What ever you do though, keep moving. Once you stop you're not a
liveaboard cruiser anymore, just a liveaboard, and that's another
whole kettle of fish.

Currently in Cane Garden Bay, Tortola BVI

wrote:

[...]

And you are the arbiter of the length of the stop? Is stopping for a night
not cruising any longer? A week? Month? Year?

I maintain that you are not a live aboard cruiser if you go live in a house
you own from time to time. You are more properly called a part-time cruiser.

But, that's another whole kettle of fish - you 'transients' who don't live
the cruising life but pretend to.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 8 May 2010 18:03:07 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

And you are the arbiter of the length of the stop? Is stopping for a night
not cruising any longer? A week? Month? Year?

It's not based on time. Once your boat starts to look like a floating
trailer park and has easily visible bottom growth, you are no longer a
cruiser, just a liveaboard. I call it one step from homeless.

I would readily concede that we are part time cruisers. It works well
for us and there's nothing wrong with the life style. However, when
we're out here for 6 months at a time and 2,000 miles from home, we
are most definitely liveaboard cruisers for the duration.

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Well, you'll never have to make boat repairs in exotic locations...

--

Richard Lamb

On May 8, 7:39*pm, cavelamb wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Richard Lambhttp://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/

What Wilbur means is that setting foot on shore is a violation of his
parole.

On 5/8/2010 12:40 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

I've lived aboard and cruised for a total of six years. I'm now back on
land. There is no need for the apologetic tone to your post. It's not
for everybody any more than running about in a Winnebago is.

The fact is that even poor living on land is more luxurious than rich
living on the sea as far as creature comforts. There is a magic to dawn
in a new anchorage, but there is also the fact of always being damp,
never really still, always in an area hostile to human life (the sea)
and other negative factors.

We hope to be back afloat before our lives are over, but we can't say
when. Right now life with a garden and the prospect of fresh food grown
ourselves is pretty darned attractive.
Tim Tim is offline

On May 8, 1:40*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Me either. I dont' have the time, nor the finances. I'm not cut out to
be a live-a-border. But no complaints with those who can and do!

But an occasional weekend or so at the lake works really well with
me.....
hk hk is offline

On 5/12/10 2:12 PM, Tim wrote:
On May 8, 1:40 pm, wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't mind living on a boat large enough for the creature comforts
we enjoy, and with plenty of room. Probably take a 75-footer, though. :)

--
The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.

Why live aboard sailors live longer. Ellen MacArthur ASA 5 December 16th 06 01:21 AM
live aboard. Stephen Cash General 0 November 4th 05 09:28 AM
Live aboard Ed General 24 February 15th 05 08:10 PM
considering live aboard Brien Alkire General 7 December 25th 03 12:58 AM