Ed

Default Live aboard

I am wondering if any one on this list lives aboard there boat? If so
how do you like it? Pro and cons ? At what size should a person keep
there boat at a marina or trailer it back and forth ?

Thanks
Ed

FishWisher

It's pretty standard procedure for those over 5'7" to trailer. Shorter folks
do better living aboard as they fit into confined spaces better.

As for living aboard, I'd find the time aboard less special than it would be
for week-end visits. I once berthed at a dock that had a lot of live
aboards. Nothing about living at a dock appealed to me.

--
Dale Gillespie

My Homepage: http://groups.msn.com/FishWishersHom..._whatsnew.msnw
My RV Site: http://groups.msn.com/CoachpotatosRV..._whatsnew.msnw
"Ed" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wondering if any one on this list lives aboard there boat? If so
how do you like it? Pro and cons ? At what size should a person keep
there boat at a marina or trailer it back and forth ?

Thanks
Ed

Short Wave Sportfishing

On 14 Feb 2005 10:22:31 -0800, "Ed" wrote:

I am wondering if any one on this list lives aboard there boat? If so
how do you like it? Pro and cons ? At what size should a person keep
there boat at a marina or trailer it back and forth ?

I have talked to a lot of live aboard types and they all seem to have
one thing in common - boats over 35 feet long and it's almost never
for more than a summer's worth at best. I can't think of any that are
of my aquaintance who live on board all year 'round. I'm sure there
are some, I just don't know them. Up in NE, I wouldn't think it to be
very practical type of living.

I'm not sure there are any pro to living aboard - I can think of about
a hundred cons right off the top of my head beginning with confined
spaces and what that does to the human psyche.

As to trailering a boat - 26' is about the max length at 8.5' wide
which is the Federal width limit. You will probably need something in
the one ton truck category for that kind of towing. I had a 32'
Contender CC with a special trailer used only for storage and it was a
neat deal, but sometimes it would be unwieldy.

Other towing considerations would be how agile you are, types of
launches that will accept a boat/trailer/truck combination and the
type of trailer.

The biggest deal is the tow vehicle though - it's actually the primary
consideration.

Later,

Tom
Bob

On 14 Feb 2005 10:22:31 -0800, "Ed" wrote:

I am wondering if any one on this list lives aboard there boat? If so
how do you like it? Pro and cons ? At what size should a person keep
there boat at a marina or trailer it back and forth ?

i only did it for 2 months aboard a 26' express cruiser. it was
pleasant enough...the view was fantastic, very easy to clean up.

showered at the marina every day before going to work. used their
bathroom.

biggest problem was things like rain...keeps you indoors and gives you
claustrophobia.

the call of nature at 3 AM is a problem.

and it tends to be lonely during the week if there are few other
liveaboards around. but that makes it quiet.

i'd willingly do it again...but with a bigger boat.

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field
P.Fritz

On 14 Feb 2005 10:22:31 -0800, "Ed" wrote:

I am wondering if any one on this list lives aboard there boat? If so
how do you like it? Pro and cons ? At what size should a person keep
there boat at a marina or trailer it back and forth ?

I have talked to a lot of live aboard types and they all seem to have
one thing in common - boats over 35 feet long and it's almost never
for more than a summer's worth at best. I can't think of any that are
of my aquaintance who live on board all year 'round. I'm sure there
are some, I just don't know them. Up in NE, I wouldn't think it to be
very practical type of living.

There are about a half dozen year round live aboards at my marina......they
are all in the 40+ range.............They shrink wrap themselves in during
the winter and bubble......I don't care how much heat you pump into those
things, the could has got to transmit right through the hull........it is
bad enough in the spring and late fall when it dips into the 40's.

I think they are nuts.

I'm not sure there are any pro to living aboard - I can think of about
a hundred cons right off the top of my head beginning with confined
spaces and what that does to the human psyche.

As to trailering a boat - 26' is about the max length at 8.5' wide
which is the Federal width limit. You will probably need something in
the one ton truck category for that kind of towing. I had a 32'
Contender CC with a special trailer used only for storage and it was a
neat deal, but sometimes it would be unwieldy.

Other towing considerations would be how agile you are, types of
launches that will accept a boat/trailer/truck combination and the
type of trailer.

The biggest deal is the tow vehicle though - it's actually the primary
consideration.

Later,

Tom

John H

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:08:29 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

[...]

We need Chuck to jump in here and talk about some of the 'live-aboards' in Lake
Washington. Some of those folks have two-story, 2500 square-foot floating
castles!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
JimH

wrote:

[...]

Plenty on the San Francisco Bay in Sausalito also. Here is the webpage of
one of the builders of these floating houses.

http://www.messersmithhomes.com/index2.html

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:04:12 -0500, "JimH" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Plenty on the San Francisco Bay in Sausalito also. Here is the webpage of
one of the builders of these floating houses.

http://www.messersmithhomes.com/index2.html

There is a difference between a boat and a floating barge.

Later,

Tom
JimH

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:04:12 -0500, "JimH" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Plenty on the San Francisco Bay in Sausalito also. Here is the webpage of
one of the builders of these floating houses.

http://www.messersmithhomes.com/index2.html

There is a difference between a boat and a floating barge.

Later,

Tom

I realize that Tom.....tons of difference. I was just responding to John's
post about the 2,500 square foot live aboards in Seattle and expanding the
conversation. :-)

Jim,

Ed wrote:
I am wondering if any one on this list lives aboard there boat? If so
how do you like it? Pro and cons ? At what size should a person keep
there boat at a marina or trailer it back and forth ?

Thanks
Ed

My YC has a guy who turned 81 last summer. Lives aboard his 26' boat
from April launch to Oct haul out.

BUT we have a nice clubhouse with showers, cooking facilities, and a
little town about 1/2 mile away with a small store.

live aboard slips Tim Cruising 22 January 20th 05 05:11 PM
live aboard in Portland OR Sailindaze Cruising 1 October 28th 04 06:47 PM
Live aboard friend wanted General 0 May 24th 04 01:37 PM
Live aboard instruction. - help John ASA 3 September 7th 03 12:58 AM