Default 2010 Navionics US Chart

I just purchased the new 2010 Navionics CF/1XG VO1.22 All USA.
I am looking for feedback concerning this new electronic chart.
So far I have had problem with it using Ray Tech Planner 6.0 on my PC.
Any comment will be appreciated.

"Denis M" wrote in message
I just purchased the new 2010 Navionics CF/1XG VO1.22 All USA.
I am looking for feedback concerning this new electronic chart.
So far I have had problem with it using Ray Tech Planner 6.0 on my PC.
Any comment will be appreciated.

I have come, very unhappily, to mistrust Navionics charts, at least for the
Bahamas. We've not used it anywhere else yet; perhaps other areas will be
better.

They may well be better for inland stuff, but other users of Raymarine
charts confirm my dismay. Navionics proclaims their charts updated, and
correct, but there's a massive reef right where a boat came to grief (lost),
and it's NOWHERE on the charts.

A fellow cruiser called them in Italy or where ever it is they are in Europe
and got no satisfaction. He then confronted the owner at a boat show, and
was given an upgrade chip for mollification. It's no better. Further,
there's no way to import BSBs or other "good" chart files to the chip.

We're screwed. We're stuck with it, and the lousy charts, until we -
presumably many years in the future - make a wholesale change of
electronics. In desperation, we use the Cap'n, which takes the Maptech
charts and the ones they sell with aplomb; I'm still wrestling with MaxSea
to get charts into it, but have had, at least, some success - just not
fully - as backups on the nav station computer.

Case in point is right where we're anchored now, which is just a blank slate
on Navionics, but very detailed in the Cap'n, which took the Explorer charts
with no complaint.

Caveat Emptor; if you're about to upgrade electronics, look for something
with CMap, with which I was very well pleased, even in the very lowest
capacity chips I had, on my RL79CRC (obsolete, now, and my c120 is now out
of production, too - all the new ones are digital, but my 3-year old radar
isn't, so won't talk to them, the reason I bought the C120 on eBay)...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:08:21 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Caveat Emptor; if you're about to upgrade electronics, look for something
with CMap, with which I was very well pleased, even in the very lowest
capacity chips I had, on my RL79CRC (obsolete, now, and my c120 is now out
of production, too - all the new ones are digital, but my 3-year old radar
isn't, so won't talk to them, the reason I bought the C120 on eBay)...

Ditto that regarding CMAP. I've been using their chart chips for 5
years and are very happy with them. Our CMAP charts of the Bahamas
are exact replicas of the Explorer charts which are widely regarded as
the best available for that area. We have been navigating the
Caribbean for the last 3 months on a single CMAP chip which has proven
to be quite accurate. I still recommend running BSB charts on a
laptop as backup however.