Default Compass reading wrong?

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:40:45 +0000, Larry wrote:

"mmc" wrote in
ng.com:

"Larry" wrote in message
http://www.geomag.us/models/WDMAM/WDMAM_NGDC_V1.1.pdf

No WONDER the damned compass won't compensate!

--
"iPad is to computing what Etch-A-Sketch is to art!"

Larry

Hi Larry!
We just did a job at Ft Jackson. Thought about scooting down to Chas
but was too wrapped up with work.
Hope you're well.

Work? Yecch! I retired last year after 50 years at the oars.....

I'm doing pretty well, actually. Daytrading stocks is lots of fun but
they cut off my SS check because I was too good at it last year.

I see that you are selling the old Merci.... bought a new one with
your ill gotten gains?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce wrote in
:

I see that you are selling the old Merci.... bought a new one with
your ill gotten gains?

No, I'm shedding my excess vehicles. There's no reason for one man to
own 4 tax/insurance loads. I'm also considering unloading my customized
stepvan that's setup to be a combo office/electronics shop, powered and
air conditioned. Every time the insurance bill comes in, it seems less
convenient to own....

South Carolina has a real punative "personal property tax" on
boats/cars/trucks/planes/anything they can identify with a title. It
costs the state a fortune just in boats that won't ever be registered
here because of the tax loadings. I want a cute little Smart ForTwo
car, but am not willing to pay $1000/year in PP taxes just to own one.
It's certainly no way to save money from the mileage. Tax on an old car
is $12, so owning and repairing the old cars is much more sensible.

--
"iPad is to computing what Etch-A-Sketch is to art!"

Larry

"mmc" wrote in
g.com:

Wouldn't it be great to set up a "survivor" type show around a month
like that instead of whining and back stabbing like they show now? Ha!
We were outside the wire, namely land on the North side that Ft
Jackson has given the VA for a new National Cemetery.

Just send them to Swamp LeJeune, NC or to the Marine boot camp at Beaufort,
SC, and let the South Carolina State Insect have at them. USMC has the
answer to "survivors"....(c;]

--
"iPad is to computing what Etch-A-Sketch is to art!"

Larry

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:21:00 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce wrote in
:

[...]

My annual vehicle tax, for my pickup and my wife's Honda, is in the
neighborhood of 2,500 Thai baht, or about US$ 78, a year. The
mandatory insurance is about TB 2,000 for the two cars.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce wrote in
:

My annual vehicle tax, for my pickup and my wife's Honda, is in the
neighborhood of 2,500 Thai baht, or about US$ 78, a year. The
mandatory insurance is about TB 2,000 for the two cars.

I bet I could live quite comfortably on my $US928 Social Security pension
check in the country in Thailand.....

--
"iPad is to computing what Etch-A-Sketch is to art!"

Larry

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 04:04:50 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce wrote in
:

My annual vehicle tax, for my pickup and my wife's Honda, is in the
neighborhood of 2,500 Thai baht, or about US$ 78, a year. The
mandatory insurance is about TB 2,000 for the two cars.

I bet I could live quite comfortably on my $US928 Social Security pension
check in the country in Thailand.....

You could. It is about 30,000 baht. If you rented the usual one room
Thai "apartment" it will cost you about 3,000 baht a month. Food, if
you eat Thai food then probably 3 - 5$ a day.

For a collage grad starting at the bank, or company, this would be
higher then usual wages.

However... a Honda Jazz (I think that is a "Fit" in the US) costs
about $20,000 and as a foreigner you would not be able to get a loan.
A Honda "auto transmission" motorcycle is about $1100, but the bus,
subway and "sky train" is cheap.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce wrote in
:

A Honda "auto transmission" motorcycle is about $1100

The 250cc Honda Reflex (I have a 2004 I bought used) sold for $US6,600
in America....just for reference.

The same EXACT cycle missing its parking brake but adding an FM stereo
into the console made in Shenzhen, China in the SAME factory as my Honda
sells at a dealer here for $US2,895. It doesn't say Honda on it, of
course. The dealer services my Reflex and we compared them apart during
a recent tuneup he did for me at 13000 miles.....

I suppose the Tata Nano will show up in Thailand at some point. They'll
be in America but by the time they get here the dealers will have them
loaded up like a Smart ForTwo and priced at $22,800. We're not allowed
to buy a SIMPLE diesel Smart car in the USA.

http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/
$US2500, nicely loaded in India....
....it even passes the rigorous European crash tests!

--
"iPad is to computing what Etch-A-Sketch is to art!"

Larry

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 05:38:01 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce wrote in
:

A Honda "auto transmission" motorcycle is about $1100

The 250cc Honda Reflex (I have a 2004 I bought used) sold for $US6,600
in America....just for reference.

A 250 cc motorcycle is a "big bike" in Thailand. I was talking about
the little 90 - 125cc step through Hondas. They are called "puying
hondas" (translation = girl honda).

The same EXACT cycle missing its parking brake but adding an FM stereo
into the console made in Shenzhen, China in the SAME factory as my Honda
sells at a dealer here for $US2,895. It doesn't say Honda on it, of
course. The dealer services my Reflex and we compared them apart during
a recent tuneup he did for me at 13000 miles.....

The Chinese not only make motorcycles, they make cars too. I saw one
the other day. Small three door, four seat, things with about a 950 cc
injected engine. A dealer had imported some and was marketing them as
a sort of trail balloon to see how the demand would be.

I suppose the Tata Nano will show up in Thailand at some point. They'll
be in America but by the time they get here the dealers will have them
loaded up like a Smart ForTwo and priced at $22,800. We're not allowed
to buy a SIMPLE diesel Smart car in the USA.

I don't know about Tata but the Malaysians are now building a small,
Honda Jaz sized car. I don't remember the cost but it is cheap.

http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/
$US2500, nicely loaded in India....
...it even passes the rigorous European crash tests!

US$2500 is quite a lot of money in India. If sold in America you'd
probably want to put another zero on the number.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

The 'reading of the dead' H the K[_4_] General 46 November 10th 09 05:44 PM
required reading Jim General 9 October 12th 09 07:38 PM
Worth reading Eisboch General 14 November 17th 08 02:52 AM
You Know You've Been Reading RBC Too Much When ... David TG Cruising 4 November 9th 07 05:03 AM
More reading Matt Colie ASA 0 December 31st 04 07:55 PM