mmc mmc is offline

Default first stop in a non-stop circumnavigation.....

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/jan/...er=yahoo_feeds

Seems the load is more than 2 wind generators and solar panels can handle.
Cruising is adjusting your expectations to the ability of the boat/equip to
accomodate those expectations. I think a good way for kids to "acclimatize"
would be to do a week long camping trip, carrying (backpack) everything
needed for the week. Ipod runs out of juice first day, phone is dead second
day, etc until all the kids have to entertain themselves is each other and
the great outdoors.
I wish her well but don't think there are going to be any records set this
time out.

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/jan/...er=yahoo_feeds

Seems the load is more than 2 wind generators and solar panels can handle.
Cruising is adjusting your expectations to the ability of the boat/equip
to accomodate those expectations. I think a good way for kids to
"acclimatize" would be to do a week long camping trip, carrying (backpack)
everything needed for the week. Ipod runs out of juice first day, phone is
dead second day, etc until all the kids have to entertain themselves is
each other and the great outdoors.
I wish her well but don't think there are going to be any records set this
time out.

Well, you know, ordinarily what you'd do is a shake-down cruise, to test out
and debug the systems and see if your concept is going to work. Shake the
whole boat out, maybe two or three non-stop weeks, come back to home base
and fix or change whatever needed doing, and then set out for real.

Her problem, oddly enough, is the calendar. If she's going to set the record
she wants, she can't take a month or two to go through all that without
growing inevitably older during the process. A funny fix to find oneself in.

I'm not springing to her defense here, so much as just ruminating about it.
I really dislike what I call "stunt sailing", and this jaunt, and her
brother's, and Jessica Watson's, and the 13-year-old Dutch girl's abortive
trip all fit clearly into the category. Sooner or later someone's going to
get dead, and then watch the Vigoro hit the Mixmaster. I hope it's not her.
I hope it's not ANY of them.

Tom

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 2, 4:10*pm, "Tom Dacon" wrote:
"mmc" wrote in message

g.com...

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/jan/...l-around-globe...

[...]

"Joe" wrote in message

I wonder how many kids get killed every year on bicycles or
skateboards doing stunts? Or playing football. If we really wanted to
protect kids we should outlaw all this foolishness! Make them grow up
first...become expert before they try anything.

Joe

Joe sure knows how to pick 'em, doesn't he. I knew Abby was a loser just
like Joe's a loser. Look at her. She's soft. Look at Joe. He's just as soft.
But Joe is the bigger loser. At least the soft young lady didn't lose her
boat (yet).

Wilbur Hubbard

"mmc" wrote in message

[...]

Does the same thoughts apply to the army? Keep the kids home, send the
old farts to Iraq?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

mmc mmc is offline

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

I agree Tom. Jumping out like this is a poor idea for any sailor and
especially for a kid with no life experience. That life experience would
show the person that 2 wind gennys and solar panels is more than adequate to
power everything the person NEEDS. Reading a book (the paper kind) uses no
power, unlike a laptop plugged into an inverter to watch a DVD, or surf the
net, or blog. Given our kids constant need for entertainment, I'd bet there
is a more than required draw on the batteries.
If insufficient storage (batteries) are the real culprit, this should have
been identified as you said before setting out.
I really don't care for parents that push kids into anything for the parents
gratification. May or may not be the case but with the "me generation" we
see it everywhere from TV to elementry school sports.

mmc mmc is offline

"mmc" wrote in message

[...]

-------------
pretty big difference between sending a kid out alone on the big ol ocean
and out in the yard to play Joe.

mmc wrote:
"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

Your statement already conflicts with itself. This happens to people of
any age with great regularity. It has nothing at all to do with age. Her
own household contains a person who proved that children can have enough
of whatever it takes to sail around the world alone.

Reading a book (the paper kind) uses no
power, unlike a laptop plugged into an inverter to watch a DVD, or surf the
net, or blog. Given our kids constant need for entertainment, I'd bet there
is a more than required draw on the batteries.

If our children learn how to have more enjoyable lives than we had, more
power to them!

If insufficient storage (batteries) are the real culprit, this should have
been identified as you said before setting out.
I really don't care for parents that push kids into anything for the parents
gratification. May or may not be the case but with the "me generation" we
see it everywhere from TV to elementry school sports.

You're getting the generations mixed up. The nineties supposedly had
"the Me generation." Her generation is supposedly the do nothing
generation, so, um, that doesn't really work here either.

Stephen

STOP IT! JimH General 9 May 11th 06 02:16 AM
Oh Bob Stop it! SUZY ASA 0 February 1st 06 12:56 AM
Want me to stop???? Capt. Rob ASA 2 November 10th 05 06:38 AM
Katysails, please STOP IT! Simple Simon ASA 3 December 24th 03 04:20 AM
Can We STOP IT??? Bobsprit ASA 5 November 21st 03 11:59 AM