Default Props - what to put on them

What is the current (?) item to put on props to keep barnacles off??

Hanz

"Hanz" wrote in message
What is the current (?) item to put on props to keep barnacles off??

I haven't found anything that lasts whole season but currently use some
highly expensive stuff Volvo sell in a spray can for their outdrives. Works
pretty well for most of the season and most barnacles never get hold hard
enough to avoid being flung off until near the end of the season.
I have had some thoughts about trying the sort of paint that local
authorities use on the walls of public toilets to enable them to wipe away
graffiti. It has no antifouling properties to dissolve away but is just a
very slick surface that nothing can stick to. Made some enquiries and found
that the smallest amount you can buy is about 5 gallons so have not been
able to test the idea in practice. If i find one of their men painting a
wall with it I will try and borrow a small quantity for a trial.

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:45:00 -0500, Hanz
wrote:

What is the current (?) item to put on props to keep barnacles off??

The prop has to be sanded or sand blasted to bright metal, cleaned
with acetone, coated with multiple coats of a good metal primer like
the one below, and then topped with several coats of a good hard
finish bottom paint.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3790&familyName=Interlux+Primo con+Metal+Primer

or

http://tinyurl.com/yzlgr45

wrote:

What is the current (?) item to put on props to keep barnacles off??

Hanz

There was an article in the trawler yacht magazine (forgot the name) a
year or so ago about an International (I believe) product made to coat
props. Essentially you remove the prop, bring it to a specified
surface finish and clean it surgically clean and then prime and paint
it. It did not sound like a trivial operation, however the owner
showed pictures of the propeller, still installed on the boat, after a
season of use. It was essentially clean.

There is one point, that the writer didn't belabor. The boat was used
a lot. The owner was the editor of the mag. and nearly every issue
included an account of him participating in some cruise, or another.

People who use their boat daily seldom have to clean the propeller.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Prop Speed - two part installation, basically yellow in color, very
expensive, lasts several years. Just now having to clean ours.

Primer bonds to the prop, and the slippery stuff to the primer. Essentially
it's so slippery the critters, if they ever get hold, get slung off.

I'll do it again whenever we haul - but that, at our current rate of paint
ablation, prolly won't be for another couple years, and with any luck, down
island where it might be cheaper...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, still in the Bahamas

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 23, 9:45*am, Hanz wrote:
What is the current (?) item to put on props to keep *barnacles off??

Hanz

elbo grease..............

On Nov 24, 11:03*am, Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
says...What is the current (?) item to put on props to keep *barnacles off??

Hanz

Basically, nothing. The critters will break through anything and attach
themselves to your prop. Frequent use ast high speed does help, though.
The infestation will mostly be around the hub then.

What I have found that works somewhat is a large donut-type zinc
installed tight-flush against the propeller hub. The zinc seems to
provide a zone of protection a few inches on either side of the prop
hub. You still get the critters on the blades but not in as great
numbers as you would without the zinc.

Prop Speed works great. And is well worth the extra cost.

Capt. Bill

new and used props peefsdad General 2 April 3rd 05 07:32 PM
Props MikeR Power Boat Racing 0 February 15th 05 03:40 AM
FS/props Ryan Guthrie General 0 April 29th 04 02:43 PM
FS: D17 X P16 Props Bobsprit General 0 April 28th 04 04:15 PM
props †omca† Boat Building 3 September 23rd 03 05:57 AM