Default Hard top dodger/bimini

Hey all

I'm designing a hard top dodger for my catamaran see

http://www.psychosnail.com/blog/post...rd-Dodger.aspx

Was wondering if any of you have experience working with Last-A-Foam
as a core using hand lay up?
Is this a good material for hand layup, any gotchas or
recommendations?

ryanonthebeach wrote:
Hey all

I'm designing a hard top dodger for my catamaran see

http://www.psychosnail.com/blog/post...rd-Dodger.aspx

Was wondering if any of you have experience working with Last-A-Foam
as a core using hand lay up?
Is this a good material for hand layup, any gotchas or
recommendations?

http://www.generalplastics.com/appli...ail.php?aid=14

http://www.generalplastics.com/uploa...lications.pdf?

A warning about solvent based and heat cured adhesives.

Using Epoxy resins, should be fine.

Expect it to be heavier than you expect!

Richard

http://www.psychosnail.com/blog/post...mini-hard-Dodg...

Was wondering if any of you have experience working with Last-A-Foam
as a core using hand lay up?
Is this a good material for hand layup, any gotchas or
recommendations?

I just built a hard top for my dodger using plywood and fiberglass.
It worked OK, but now I think I would use aluminum and the Orgami
method of bending it. Here is the website http://www.origamimagic.com/
to give you an idea of how it works. What it can do is take the shape
from a curved aluminum brace and bend a sheet of 1/4" or what ever to
the required bend. It used very simple techniques to do this and
simple tools. Just a little welding and you could have a very slick
top. This is what I am planning on doing on my next boat.

Good luck with what ever you choose. I know the fiberglass work I did
on my plywood top was a pain.

Joel

S/V Fat Tuesday

ryanonthebeach wrote in
:

http://www.psychosnail.com/blog/post...ni-hard-Dodger
.aspx

Was wondering if any of you have experience working with Last-A-Foam
as a core using hand lay up?
Is this a good material for hand layup, any gotchas or
recommendations?

I had my soft dodger converted to a hard dodger by a friend of mine in FL.
He used the original stainless for the soft dodger as the frame for the
hard dodger. This was welded to keep it rigid. The top and the bottom are
1/8" fiberglass sheets and the interior is honeycomb. The whole assembly
was Awlgripped to match the non-skid. We constantly get complements on the
construction. However, Erik said that he would never build another one as
it was a royal pain...

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

On Jul 20, 4:20*pm, Joel Vannorsdel wrote:
[...]

Aluminum pretty, but to heavy

On Jul 21, 4:00*am, Geoff Schultz wrote:
ryanonthebeach wrote :

[...]

Thanks for the info Geoff

That's an interesting idea using the original frame. I would have
given that serious consideration except that part of the reason I'm
replacing the original is because the supports are all in the wrong
places. Makes it difficult to get in and out. so i would have to do a
number of modifications, plus I'm not sure it'll be strong enough for
the four 120w solar panels.

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
ryanonthebeach wrote in
:

[...]

Geoff,

Is this picture of the hard dodger? It looks really nice. My dodger fabric
is just about shot, and I've been thinking about replacing it, but then I
saw your post, and I was thinking this might be a better, longer-lasting
solution. I have a friend who can do the welding. Where did you get the
fiberglass sheets? Do you have any drawings, plans, or any other pics I
might look at (of the construction or just finished pictures)? This would be
a winter project, since I and students prefer something to hide behind in
the summer.

http://www.geoffschultz.org/BlueJack...121_095647.htm

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote:

Where did you get the fiberglass sheets?

Get a hold of DMC in San Diego.

DB170 (17 OZ, +\-45 double bias) glass (No Mat required) is sold by
the yard from a 50"
wide roll.

They sell Divinycell, laminating epoxy and glass.

Ask for Rich.

Lew

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote:

Where did you get the fiberglass sheets?

Get a hold of DMC in San Diego.

DB170 (17 OZ, +\-45 double bias) glass (No Mat required) is sold by the
yard from a 50"
wide roll.

They sell Divinycell, laminating epoxy and glass.

Ask for Rich.

Lew

Thanks... appreciate it!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote:

Where did you get the fiberglass sheets?

Get a hold of DMC in San Diego.

DB170 (17 OZ, +\-45 double bias) glass (No Mat required) is sold by the
yard from a 50"
wide roll.

They sell Divinycell, laminating epoxy and glass.

Ask for Rich.

Lew

Lew... do you have a phone number or address for them... can't seem to find
them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com