Default Boat battery question???

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 04:06:40 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

What is top end of the DD6-71?

Difficult to tell from limited pics on web site, but it appears you
have a small case design, but that is just a guess.

They will top out at 2400 RPM but we never push them beyond 1800 for
any length of time, and more typically cruise at 1400 to 1500.

They are based on the Delco CS-144 which is considered large case in
the automotive world, but they are not a J-180 mount which is a big
plus for me. My engines are set up for a 2 inch Delco foot except
that they have a 1/2 inch mounting bolt instead of 3/8ths. Drilling
out the alternator foot to 1/2 inch is easy and there is plenty of
metal left over.

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 06:25:30 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

y engines are set up for a 2 inch Delco foot except
that they have a 1/2 inch mounting bolt instead of 3/8ths. Drilling
out the alternator foot to 1/2 inch is easy and there is plenty of
metal left over.

That's interesting. I wonder why 3/8 isn't enough. I had a 4250 pound
airplane with the wings each held on by a couple of 1/4-20 bolts.
Loaded in double shear. [Beech D-17S].

Casady

wrote:

y engines are set up for a 2 inch Delco foot except
that they have a 1/2 inch mounting bolt instead of 3/8ths. Drilling
out the alternator foot to 1/2 inch is easy and there is plenty of
metal left over.

That's interesting. I wonder why 3/8 isn't enough. I had a 4250 pound
airplane with the wings each held on by a couple of 1/4-20 bolts.
Loaded in double shear. [Beech D-17S].

Casady

No, Richard.

You might want to remeasure...

wrote:

y engines are set up for a 2 inch Delco foot except
that they have a 1/2 inch mounting bolt instead of 3/8ths. Drilling
out the alternator foot to 1/2 inch is easy and there is plenty of
metal left over.

That's interesting. I wonder why 3/8 isn't enough. I had a 4250 pound
airplane with the wings each held on by a couple of 1/4-20 bolts.
Loaded in double shear. [Beech D-17S].

Everything about a DD6-71 is industrial strength overkill. They were
designed originally to power Sherman tanks. My main generator is
powered by a Yanmar industrial diesel and it is built like a toy in
comparison.

wrote:

y engines are set up for a 2 inch Delco foot except
that they have a 1/2 inch mounting bolt instead of 3/8ths. Drilling
out the alternator foot to 1/2 inch is easy and there is plenty of
metal left over.

That's interesting. I wonder why 3/8 isn't enough. I had a 4250 pound
airplane with the wings each held on by a couple of 1/4-20 bolts.
Loaded in double shear. [Beech D-17S].

Casady

No, Richard.

You might want to remeasure...

I disassembled the thing, I ought to know. 1/4 inch bolts.

Casady

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:00:46 -0400, jeff wrote:

Tuuk wrote:
Hi

I bought the two Nautaulis deep cycle big batteries for 139. ea. Also the
motomaster 10/2 amp automatic charger regurlarily 70.

I have had the 2amp charger on one of the batteries for about 6 hours or 8
hours and little bubbling going on I can hear and the charger still is not
changing from red light (charging) to green light (charged).

Should I keep it on the 2am for longer? Batteries are only 1 week old from
Canadian Tire and charger is also new.

random thoughts:

Its hard to say about the bubbling because a small amount of bubbling is
expected, but a large amount means possible overcharging. As others
say, get a simple Voltmeter and a cheap specific gravity tester - you
can get both for under $10. And of course make sure the battery has the
proper amount of distilled water.

Your batteries hold a bit over 100 Amp-hours, meaning that if the were
totally dead it would take over 50 hours for your 2 Amp charger to get
one close to full. The last 10% could take some hours more. However,
they should have be delivered with at least a 50% charge - otherwise
you'd have a case to return them as DOA, since taking them below 50%
diminishes the lifetime. Look for a manufacturing code to make sure it
hasn't sat on the dealer's shelf for 6 months or more.

That said, I would expect the batteries to need a significant initial
charge (unless the dealer claimed they were fully charged) so the 2 Amp
mode really will take overnight or more to get it up to full. Or you
could use the 10 Amp mode to do it faster. BTW, I regularly charge at a
rate double that (scaled for my larger bank) but my charger is well
controlled so it doesn't apply too high a Voltage. In fact, the
purpose of a deep cycle battery is to be able to take them down to about
50%, and then recharge them reasonably quickly, and repeat this about
500 times. If you really want to charge at a slow rate, this is the
device to get:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...dp/B00068XCQU/

You would have a hard time seriously overcharging a 100 amp hour
flooded deep cycle battery using a 2 amp trickle charger.

Being a new battery, it probably has never been fully and properly
charged. Battery charging is more complicated than merely stuffing
electricity back into the battery. The last 5-10% of capacity is the
hardest to achieve.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:18:49 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:32:26 -0400, wrote:

Batteries are never quite big enough. I think there is a tendency to
add things that draw power., or simply get more casual about useage,
as your battery banks and charging system expand.

Additionally, batteries gradually lose capacity as they age, combined
with the fact that you really shouldn't draw them down more than 50%.
In reality you can only use about 30 to 40% of rated capacity without
unduly shortening battery life.

Electrical buget is much easier if you just omit refrigeration, and
pay attention to everything else. Don't run anything unless you really
need to run it. You don't need your whole boat's interior lit up
bright enough to read by. Well thought out ventilation means you
almost never need to run even a small fan. I rarely run my batteries
down anywhere near 50%.

I enjoy that my boat's environment is very different from my land
bound home. I'm pretty conservative with energy there, too, but not to
the same degree. I did reduce my heating oil usage 27% this past
winter by adding a few hundred dollars worth of insulation in
strategic places. That will continue to save every year going forward.
I'm looking into geothermal for the primary house. Looks like about
20-30k, but part of that is absorbed by what it would cost me to
replace my present boiler when it's due in a few years, so it's not
really so bad. There are also usually all sorts of credits and tax
advantages available. I could probably even put up enough PV panels
(with a battery bank) to cover power for the geothermal's pumps and
controls. For me, it's not just about saving the money. I like the
idea of using less energy, even if there is no big savings. There are
savings, though. It just requires longer term thinking than many are
capable of.

Battery Question Marc Electronics 4 November 20th 05 03:02 AM
Battery question JohnH General 12 December 11th 04 10:36 PM
Boat Battery Question GC General 4 September 17th 04 02:19 AM
Boat Battery Question GC Electronics 4 September 17th 04 02:19 AM