Default Lake Superior RAPIDLY WARMING!

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
:

Pollution is a serious, but quite separate, issue. Carbon Dioxide
(CO2) is not considered to be a pollutant in normal concentration
levels.

Come on... "normal concentration levels"? It's not a separate issue.
It's a global problem.

The more CO2 in the air, the MORE WE HAVE TO EAT! Eliminate CO2 and
WE ALL
WILL STARVE!

--
-----
Larry

If a man goes way out into the woods all alone and says something,
is it still wrong, even though no woman hears him?

Don't loon out Larry. You know damn well that no one is talking about
eliminatnig C02.

No they want to store 3 billion tons of Carbon Dioxide every year from
those plants. (National Geographic figures not mine). That means every
power plant will have an increasing number of pressurized containers
buried around their plant for the storage of the gas, that will have to
be maintained for eternity.

If one of those thing fails in the next dozen centuries, 100% of every
thing living within hundreds of square miles will die.

You need to restrict your comments to something you know about. You do
know about something right?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

The Earth must have been barren before the internal combustion engine?
Maybe Palin was right about the Earth being so new that dinosaurs rode
around on a bus with Jesus and the disciples.
Jon, arguing with a party drone doesn't get you anywhere but irritated.

Palin for President! lol

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 08:10:52 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 08:01:59 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:47:36 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message

I've always advocated an annual "road tax" based on engine size. Use a
base level, say 1,500 c.c., for a nominal tax. then as the
displacement goes up the tax goes up, but at, say multiples of 100
c.c..

Say you bought a 2.0 liter car. The first 1,500 c.c costs, say 10
dollars a year, the next 100 c.c = 2 X original tax; second 100 c.c. =
3 X O.T., and so on. You could do the same thing with horse power but
it is easier to get into arguments about horse power then it is about
displacement.

People will say, OH! But I need a big engine". I remember when a 100
HP engine was a BIG engine and most people got along perfectly well
with about 65 HP. You can certainly get 100 H.P. out of a 1.5 liter
engine these days.

This is not a new idea, by the way, it has been used in Europe for
many years.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
How would you calculate the horsepower on a car like my Impala, which shifts
into 3 cylinder mode whenever it doesn't need all six? Cruising down the
highway on long trips I get over 32mpg, but that drops down to around 28 for
mostly city driving (of which I do hardly any).

Fuel taxes take all that into consideration automatically.

I wouldn't even begin to base any plan on horse power. As I said, it
is too easy to get into an argument about horse power and impossible
to argue about displacement.

The point is, if you want to decrease the numbers of giant motor cars
with the idea that you will decrease global warming, or whatever
reason you have, then this is a method of doing it.

The nut of the matter is, of course, does the population of the U.S.
(the group that the original poster addressed) really WANT to decrease
emissions, or simply give lip service to the idea.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

It should be based on Vehicle weight.

Right. a F-1 car weighs 1,334 lbs. gets 3 MPG with about 700 H.P.

A Honda Jazz weighs about 2,390 lbs. gets 51.4 MPG with about 77 H.P.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I have a solution: NO NEW TAXES. Lets not use the tax system as a
vehicle for social change. There are some people who need a large
vehicle to complete their daily errands, and their need will exist no
matter what the liberals want.

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 10:56:56 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
om...

[...]

It should be based on weight. That is a system that has been used
since there have been motor Vehicles.

There are very few F-1 cars used for commuting to work or taking kids
to soccer games. Probably not street legal, either.

There are already Federal mileage standards which by themselves
completely negate your theory anyway.

I agree that there are few F1 cars registered on the road. I was
simply using the genus to illustrate that weight is not an indication
of emissions - which, if you'll remember WAS the point of this thread.

The federal mileage standard are ludicrous. what are they now? 35
miles/gallon? Jesus! My diesel pickup does that now and it is six
years old.

As I wrote befo

The nut of the matter is, of course, does the population of the U.S.
(the group that the original poster addressed) really WANT to decrease
emissions, or simply give lip service to the idea.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

news:3lbi251s1p4f30ft0e3q14v0haod3co6h3@4ax. com...

[...]

For passenger cars, weight is a very valid and practical method of
assesing tax. It's been done that way for a hundred years. I can even
remember Florida License plates with letters on them indicating weight
class. Bigger cars paid more. That was in the 1950's. I'm not sure if
they still do it.

The federal mileage standard are ludicrous. what are they now? 35
miles/gallon? Jesus! My diesel pickup does that now and it is six
years old.

That was not the point, Bruce. The point was that all passenger
vehicles are going to fall within the guidelines, unlike your
imaginary street legal F-1. So, taxing by weight will be pretty fair
across the board. One of the most effective things you can do to get
better mileage is reduce weight.

Ther should also be a "Nuttle surcharge" for anyone with that name.

wrote:

[...]

The original post concerned giant polluting autos. It now appears to
have digressed to a discussion of tax philosophy.

The concept of taxing for vehicle weight seems to have originated with
the idea that total vehicle weight effected road costs, which it
doesn't, the real roadway costs, other then normal civil engineering
problems, are primarily a matter of pounds per square inch, i.e.,
gross vehicle weight divided by total tire contact area.

Thus, it would be logical to partially adjudge vehicle tax rates by
the weight of the owner - skinny people, weighing less, cause less
deterioration to roadways then fat folks.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 21:29:16 -0500, cavelamb

SNIPPED - to demonstrate the technology...

That was not the point, Bruce. The point was that all passenger
vehicles are going to fall within the guidelines, unlike your
imaginary street legal F-1. So, taxing by weight will be pretty fair
across the board. One of the most effective things you can do to get
better mileage is reduce weight.

Unfortunately, reducing weight goes hand in hand with increased trauma
in accidents.

WHY do you thing people have kept buying heavy vehicles?
It's not for the mileage!

Basically, probably misconceptions about autos. Have you ever heard
the phrase "a heavy car holds the road better".

On the other hand, racing cars are all lighter then "road" cars and
apparently hold the road much better.

The argument that heavy cars reduce trauma is also somewhat erroneous.
Just look at accidents on the race track. So traumatic that most of
the car disintegrates.... and the driver walks away. But yet the race
car is lighter then even "light" road cars.

Basically it is fairly simple to design a safe vehicle, or an
efficient vehicle, or a non-contaminating vehicle. The problem is that
the car buying public doesn't want one.

I have no special feeling for any particular sort of motor vehicle but
the car buying public is particularly hypocritical. On one hand they
are **so** concerned with the environment and on the other they *need*
that six liter auto.

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

[...]

A friend wrecked her old beater Lincoln Town Car this week.

She lost it somehow going over a wet hill top and knocked down a 60
foot tall interstate highway light post(!)

She was lucky - no serious injuries. Seat belt and air bags worked as
advertised - even after 21 years. No broken ankles, no smashed knees,
some bruises on the shoulder and a sore breast bone.

The undamaged part of her car was two feet past the place where the
light pole _was_. It stopped in a hurry!
Speed was estimated by the cops at 40 or maybe a bit more.
Speed limit was 55 there.

I've been to a lot of car wrecks as a volunteer fireman and you never
know what to expect in a situation like that.

But if I had to do that stunt, I'd rather be in the Town Car than a
little plastic roller skate car.

I think we found her a pick up today. (It's Texas - girls drive trucks here)
2005 Ford F150 LS:
Short bed 3 L. V6, 4 speed stick, air conditioning, and not much else
For right at 6k.

It ought to run well for another five or ten years - if there is gas to feed it.

"cavelamb" wrote:

I think we found her a pick up today. (It's Texas - girls drive
trucks here)
2005 Ford F150 LS:
Short bed 3 L. V6, 4 speed stick, air conditioning, and not much
else
For right at 6k.

It ought to run well for another five or ten years - if there is gas
to feed it.

Find a 4 Cyl, 5 spd stick, Tonka Toy /w/ air.

Mine still gets 26+ GPM even after 120K and 10+ years.

Should get 300K+ with SoCal weather.

BTW, has a steel timing belt, not that rubber crap.

Lew

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 22:30:53 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

[...]

Sure, and had she been driving a NACAR vehicle she could have hit the
post at twice the speed and walked away. Or a F-1 car. either of which
weigh less then the Lincoln.

It isn't the weight, it is the amount of structure you have between
you and the post.

As I have said several times it all comes down to whether the car
buying public wants to reduce emissions or not. I'm not advocating a
position on either side of the fence I'm simply saying that if you
want to do something about it the solution is simple.

If you want to rationalize that you need a high emission vehicle, for
whatever reason, then go right ahead and buy one, I'm not even sure
whether cars cause a problem, or not..