Default Fresh Water Head and Effect on Calcification?

I'm in the enviable process of replacing my head hoses due to calcification
(or whatever that &*@# is builds up in there). I was quite amazed at how
small some of the 1.5" hoses had become. Some were easily down to 1/2".

Anyhow, I was talking to a friend of mine who has their head plumbed with
fresh water and he was claiming that his hoses don't calcify. Can anyone
vouch for this?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

On Tue, 19 May 2009 05:39:15 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I'm in the enviable process of replacing my head hoses due to calcification
(or whatever that &*@# is builds up in there). I was quite amazed at how
small some of the 1.5" hoses had become. Some were easily down to 1/2".

Anyhow, I was talking to a friend of mine who has their head plumbed with
fresh water and he was claiming that his hoses don't calcify. Can anyone
vouch for this?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

The water inlet line should stay fairly clean but the waste line
develops a lot of buildup.
Peggy, the sanitation lady, who used to post here explained it several
times. I believe she said that the buildup is basically solids that
solidify out of urine.

I have tried flushing vinegar into and through the waste line, letting
it soak a while, and then flushing it out with fresh water but I'm not
sure how effective that is.

One thing I discovered (new to me anyway) if you flush the water inlet
line with fresh water and then close the seacock trapping fresh water
in the lines it won't stink when you come back to the boat. I believe
that on one of "Larry's boats" they flush with fresh water for that
reason.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Geoff Schultz wrote:
I'm in the enviable process of replacing my head hoses due to calcification
(or whatever that &*@# is builds up in there). I was quite amazed at how
small some of the 1.5" hoses had become. Some were easily down to 1/2".

Anyhow, I was talking to a friend of mine who has their head plumbed with
fresh water and he was claiming that his hoses don't calcify. Can anyone
vouch for this?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

For what it's worth: in major regions of Europe (where air conditioning
against the heat is not the problem) they use circulating heated water
radiators in each room. They find that calcification is not a major
issue, if the closed water system does not leak and so need make up
water in hard water areas.

Brian W

Geoff Schultz wrote:
I'm in the enviable process of replacing my head hoses due to calcification
(or whatever that &*@# is builds up in there). I was quite amazed at how
small some of the 1.5" hoses had become. Some were easily down to 1/2".

Anyhow, I was talking to a friend of mine who has their head plumbed with
fresh water and he was claiming that his hoses don't calcify. Can anyone
vouch for this?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Seawater + urine - calcium carbonate

http://www.navair.navy.mil/techTrans...aB&doc=paper.5

If it happened with fresh water toilets, used for billions of flushes a
day, one might think it would have been noticed.

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message

For what it's worth: in major regions of Europe (where air conditioning
against the heat is not the problem) they use circulating heated water
radiators in each room. They find that calcification is not a major issue,
if the closed water system does not leak and so need make up water in hard
water areas.

Brian W

Yes, and the same goes for closed circuit engine cooling systems. Even if
you have to use hard water for the initial fill the amount of deposit that
comes out will not significantly affect heat transfer.
Once it has made its initial deposit 'hard' water will no longer be able to
make further deposits unles there is a leak and you have to keep topping up,
thereby bringing further hard water into the system, resulting in continued
build-up of solids..
Even without leakage if you drain and refill every winter the build-up will
continue until it poses a problem, so it is better to winterise with
antifreeze rather than draining every year, unless you have a good soft
water supply available. Even then the antifreeze is good because it also
protects against corrosion.

On Tue, 19 May 2009 20:05:29 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

You don't ever put hard water in your engine. Distilled for both the
battery and the radiator.

Casady

wrote:

Even without leakage if you drain and refill every winter the build-up will
continue until it poses a problem, so it is better to winterise with
antifreeze rather than draining every year

A long time ago cheap antifreeze was methanol, and you put it in in
the fall and drained it and replaced it with water in the spring. You
had a 140 degree thermostat for winter and a 180 degree one for
summer. That went out more than fifty years ago. Now you use a glycol
blend and replace it every two years. 220 degree thermostats are
common. The system is under pressure, which raises the boiling point.
You are in deep ship warpage wise if you get a modern engine hot
enough to boil the coolant. The boiling begins in the cylinder head.
When it warps you blow the head gasket. If it warp is permanent, you
have to remachine it flat, or a new gasket will not last. Cadillac
built an engine that would run, at drastically reduced power, without
coolant. The cylinders fired half the time, the other half air
cooling. Gets you out of the desert even if you blow a hose. Everyone
else replaces dubious hoses before they head for Vegas. Cadillac had
trouble with boiling brake fluid. When they discovered it was driving
around with a foot on the brake pedal that caused the problem, they
specified a higher boiling point fluid. They knew you couldn't educate
the geezers.

Casady

Fresh water from salt water. Gregory Hall ASA 1 August 14th 07 02:47 AM
Salt Water/Fresh Water prs General 8 August 26th 04 07:40 PM
Salt Water/Fresh Water prs General 1 August 25th 04 04:47 PM
Salt Water V. Fresh Water [email protected] General 11 July 25th 04 06:43 AM
Fresh-water flushing a raw water system? Jeffrey P. Vasquez Cruising 24 January 28th 04 12:19 AM