Bruce in Bangkok[_14_] Bruce in Bangkok[_14_] is offline

Default Fresh Water Head and Effect on Calcification?

On Tue, 19 May 2009 05:39:15 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I'm in the enviable process of replacing my head hoses due to calcification
(or whatever that &*@# is builds up in there). I was quite amazed at how
small some of the 1.5" hoses had become. Some were easily down to 1/2".

Anyhow, I was talking to a friend of mine who has their head plumbed with
fresh water and he was claiming that his hoses don't calcify. Can anyone
vouch for this?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

The water inlet line should stay fairly clean but the waste line
develops a lot of buildup.
Peggy, the sanitation lady, who used to post here explained it several
times. I believe she said that the buildup is basically solids that
solidify out of urine.

I have tried flushing vinegar into and through the waste line, letting
it soak a while, and then flushing it out with fresh water but I'm not
sure how effective that is.

One thing I discovered (new to me anyway) if you flush the water inlet
line with fresh water and then close the seacock trapping fresh water
in the lines it won't stink when you come back to the boat. I believe
that on one of "Larry's boats" they flush with fresh water for that
reason.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)