Default GAO GPS report

wrote in :

On Sat, 09 May 2009 02:12:48 +0000, Larry wrote:

"mmc" wrote in
ting.com:

Yeah Larry, I like the argument about how low our taxes are when
compared to other first world nations. The arguees for some reason
can't think beyond federal income tax. I think I'm at 45-50%.

I tried to add up my total tax bills to ALL little fiefdoms one
year.....

That's no good for your blood pressure after the utility bills and
property loads. I gave away a 10' plastic dingy after the $38
personal property tax bill caused by putting a SC boat license number
($35 more) on the side of it so I could put a 3hp outboard motor on
the back.

Oh, my effort yielded roughly 66% tax load from all tit suckers....

Here in Connecticut, which is often touted as one of the wealthiest
and heavily taxed states, there is no property tax on my dinghy and
the annual registration is $7.50 including the motor.

There is no property tax on the mainship, either. Just $105 a year
(not calculated by value) for a registration decal. Yes, that's really
a tax, but it's not based on value, so it's hard to call it a
"property tax". I know what property taxes are, because I pay those,
too.

http://www.weilmaritime.com/firm-cas...-nightmare.php
A South Carolina horror story.

Stay two weeks at a Charleston marina and the Charleston County Tax
Bureaucrats will be by to discuss your pending tax liability. It has
happened many times in the past to "normal", read that not the
superrich, boaters.

Personal property tax in SC is anything with a license on it we can
find....Boats, planes, outboard motors with titles over 5hp, cars,
trucks and anything else with wheels on it and a title. This differs
from real estate taxes in the state. That's another boondoggle
altogether.

--
-----
Larry

On Sat, 09 May 2009 15:25:18 +0000, Larry wrote:

http://www.weilmaritime.com/firm-cas...-nightmare.php
A South Carolina horror story.

Stay two weeks at a Charleston marina and the Charleston County Tax
Bureaucrats will be by to discuss your pending tax liability. It has
happened many times in the past to "normal", read that not the
superrich, boaters.

Yes, sometimes it takes less than two weeks...

Here's the short version of my adventure with the Charleston County
tax folks:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.boats.cruising/msg/7e096655c90a57ca?hl=en&dmode=source

Wayne.B wrote in
:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...096655c90a57ca

?
hl=en&dmode=source

I just sent this message to every Charleston County council member, just
to prime the pump a little..... I may have overstated your net worth a
tiny bit, but they'll get the message....(c;]

I'm not a yacht owner, but crew on many and am a victim/resident of
Charleston County since 1966. I've heard horror stories from visiting
yachtsmen who will never return to our harbor for fear of the county tax
bureaucrats trying to confiscate their boats and their wallets, by force
of seizures if necessary.

So, they take their yachts and all that money that I'm SURE the downtown
and Mt Pleasant merchants and tourist industry could use, especially now
in this depression, elsewhere...Wilmington, Savannah, Florida where tax
bureaucrats are NOT standing on the marina docks demanding tribute,
which is what it amounts to.

This yachtsman's story is NOT an isolated case. I know this person
because I communicate with him regularly on the rec.boats.cruising
newsgroup. He'll never bring his money back to our normally friendly
city because of the way your employees tried to steal his money and
threatened to steal his yacht because of another dock encounter with the
tax gestapo by a FORMER owner of his new yacht, way back.....
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...96655c90a57ca?
hl=en&dmode=source

I'd like council to think long and hard about the ramifications these
horror stories of confiscation and taxes on out-of-state yacht owners
have on our local economy. Ask yourself one question, please......

Does the money stolen by the tax gestapo even come close to offsetting
the lost REVENUES the tax gestapo would collect from some millionaire
yachtie's SPENDING on the depressed local economy IF we let him stay
tied to our docks as long as he wishes, unmolested by government
bureaucrats trying to suck his blood on the docks?

If I were on council, I'd be voting to provide him with FREE DOCKAGE at
City Marina for 6 months, just to get him to stay here....not in Ft
Lauderdale!

Can't anyone see how stupid and short-sighted it is running millionaires
out of our harbor?!

Duhhh..

--
-----
Larry
You can tell there's very intelligent life in the Universe
because none of them have ever tried to contact us.....

Larry wrote:
"mmc" wrote in
ng.com:

Yeah Larry, I like the argument about how low our taxes are when
compared to other first world nations. The arguees for some reason
can't think beyond federal income tax. I think I'm at 45-50%.

I tried to add up my total tax bills to ALL little fiefdoms one year.....

That's no good for your blood pressure after the utility bills and property
loads. I gave away a 10' plastic dingy after the $38 personal property tax
bill caused by putting a SC boat license number ($35 more) on the side of
it so I could put a 3hp outboard motor on the back.

Oh, my effort yielded roughly 66% tax load from all tit suckers....

And I came across another announcement today that the Guberment was
gonna spend another pocketfull of billions to convert the commercial air
traffic control away from traditional RADAR to a GPS system.

Hummmm??? Think I'll stick to sailing.

The Fishing Report Joe ASA 0 May 25th 07 03:31 PM
Kool-Aid Report Joe ASA 1 March 14th 07 09:13 PM
Piracy Report: 4-4-05 thru 4-16-05 [email protected] Cruising 26 April 22nd 05 09:43 PM
New Boat Report Bobsprit ASA 1 August 10th 04 03:35 AM
Sail Report Bobsprit ASA 0 June 13th 04 02:56 PM