Default Repairing Dinghy Oar

What would be the best glue to repair the wooden blade of an oar? I was
going to use epoxy glue but is there another good or better alternative?
Thanks.
Derek

"Derek Lawler" wrote in message
.. .
What would be the best glue to repair the wooden blade of an oar? I was
going to use epoxy glue but is there another good or better alternative?
Thanks.
Derek

Depends upon how badly broken it is, but Gorilla Glue is also a good glue
for waterproof applications.

--
KLC Lewis
www.cafepress.com/tmen

"Derek Lawler" wrote in message
.. .
What would be the best glue to repair the wooden blade of an oar? I was
going to use epoxy glue but is there another good or better alternative?
Thanks.
Derek

Glue won't get it. No matter what kind. Once an oar splits along the
laminations in the business end even epoxy won't hold it together for long.
It probably split because the wood was improperly aged and bent or twisted.
What you need to do is use West System and clamp the heck out of the splits
on the blade. After it dries wrap it with fine glass cloth soaked in epoxy
resin and let it cure. Then paint it.

When it's all said and done it's easier to buy a new oar. But insist on a
non-laminated ash oar. End of problem.

Wilbur Hubbard.

Derek Lawler wrote:
What would be the best glue to repair the wooden blade of an oar? I was
going to use epoxy glue but is there another good or better alternative?
Thanks.
Derek

Probably not. You could guild the lily with a blade tip wrap in
glass/epoxy, and varnish overall....

Brian W

"Derek Lawler" wrote in message
.. .
What would be the best glue to repair the wooden blade of an oar? I was
going to use epoxy glue but is there another good or better alternative?
Thanks.
Derek

Might want to try a wooden boat forum... maybe woodenboat.com.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"KLC Lewis" wrote:

Depends upon how badly broken it is, but Gorilla Glue is also a good
glue for waterproof applications.

About the only thing more useless than Gorilla Glue are tits on a boar
hog.

To repair an oar you need 6 OZ glass tape and epoxy.

Epoxy will degrade from UV so you will probably need to repeat repair
every couple of years.

Lew

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"KLC Lewis" wrote:

Depends upon how badly broken it is, but Gorilla Glue is also a good glue
for waterproof applications.

About the only thing more useless than Gorilla Glue are tits on a boar
hog.

To repair an oar you need 6 OZ glass tape and epoxy.

Epoxy will degrade from UV so you will probably need to repeat repair
every couple of years.

Lew

As I said, depends upon how badly broken it is. If it's a lengthwise break
in the blade (along the grain), I would not hesitate to repair it with
Gorilla Glue and dowels, properly clamped. Epoxy could also be used with
dowels. There's also Resorcinol, which is also waterproof.

Your opinion noted.

"Derek Lawler" wrote in message
.. .
What would be the best glue to repair the wooden blade of an oar? I was
going to use epoxy glue but is there another good or better alternative?
Thanks.
Derek

If you have been lucky and the break has followed the grain to give you a
long diagonal area to rejoin then all you need to do is reglue it with epoxy
resin and it will be as strong as it ever was and the join will be almost
invisible.
If, however the shaft has broken straight across there will not be enough
area for a strong glue-only repair and you have two or possibley three
choices:
1. Glue it with epoxy and then wrap with woven glass mat and resin. This
will make a strong joint but will look awful.
2. If you have a nice pair of spoon blade oars that are worth the effort
then you can shape a long diagonal area each side of the break and let in
new piece of wood and when the resin glue has set you then round it off
nicely and stain the new wood to match the rest before varnishing. Very
labour intensive but ends up looking OK if you have the skill to do it
right. You have to be careful both when shaping and glueing in the new piece
that you hold the two parts of the broken oar so that at the end of the job
the oar is still dead straight!
3. If you find that the oars are hollow then you have a further option of
glueing in a reinforcing piece in the hollow interior instead of the labour
intensive solution #2

MMC MMC is offline

"Derek Lawler" wrote in message
.. .
What would be the best glue to repair the wooden blade of an oar? I was
going to use epoxy glue but is there another good or better alternative?
Thanks.
Derek

From my experience, an epoxy glued junction (where the 2 pieces of wood
broke) is stronger than the surrounding wood. Might not hold true with true
hardwoods, but that's the way it is with teak, mahogany, fir, pine,
spruce......

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Derek Lawler" wrote in message
.. .
What would be the best glue to repair the wooden blade of an oar? I was
going to use epoxy glue but is there another good or better alternative?
Thanks.
Derek

From my experience, an epoxy glued junction (where the 2 pieces of wood
broke) is stronger than the surrounding wood. Might not hold true with
true hardwoods, but that's the way it is with teak, mahogany, fir, pine,
spruce......

Teak is a bit doubtful for ordinary epoxy resin since it is an oily sort of
wood.
A resorcinol based adhesive is recommended for teak (and oak) instead of
the usual epoxy resin. Only trouble with this is that it is very dark in
colour and o the glue line will be quite visible under varnish..

Repairing the traveler [email protected] Cruising 4 February 13th 08 05:20 AM
Repairing a Croakie? W. Watson General 1 August 19th 05 02:00 AM
repairing a Nautilus 8 [email protected] Boat Building 7 April 19th 05 05:52 PM
repairing an old Laser [email protected] Boat Building 4 March 20th 05 10:00 PM
repairing PVC inflatable MMC Boat Building 4 April 27th 04 06:47 PM