Edgar Edgar is offline

Default Repairing Dinghy Oar

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Derek Lawler" wrote in message
.. .
What would be the best glue to repair the wooden blade of an oar? I was
going to use epoxy glue but is there another good or better alternative?
Thanks.
Derek

From my experience, an epoxy glued junction (where the 2 pieces of wood
broke) is stronger than the surrounding wood. Might not hold true with
true hardwoods, but that's the way it is with teak, mahogany, fir, pine,
spruce......

Teak is a bit doubtful for ordinary epoxy resin since it is an oily sort of
wood.
A resorcinol based adhesive is recommended for teak (and oak) instead of
the usual epoxy resin. Only trouble with this is that it is very dark in
colour and o the glue line will be quite visible under varnish..