Default Ping Larry

Larry
IIRC, at one time you had some choice words to describe the coolant overflow
reservoir supplied by Yanmar. (I think the issue was that the tube enters
from the top rather than the bottom.)
If this is correct, did you find a better replacement ?
I'm having a problem of coolant transfer to the reservoir, but not so much
back, suggesting an air leak in the line.

"Garland Gray" wrote in
:

Larry
IIRC, at one time you had some choice words to describe the coolant
overflow reservoir supplied by Yanmar. (I think the issue was that the
tube enters from the top rather than the bottom.)
If this is correct, did you find a better replacement ?
I'm having a problem of coolant transfer to the reservoir, but not so
much back, suggesting an air leak in the line.

Hmm.....our problem was the tube inside the little plastic tank came off so
the coolant would go INTO the recovery tank, but when the line falls off
the suction as the engine cools down sucks air from the top of the plastic
tank into the heat exchanger, EMPTYING THE HEAT EXCHANGER with the
resultant overheating problems.

It's a really stupid design. Yanmar isn't alone in using it.

The cure is to clean and dry the tube inside the cap then seal the pickup
hose to the cap so it can't fall off again, making sure it's sucking
coolant, instead of air, out of the tank. If the hose from the "radiator
cap" to the recovery tank leaks...you'll get air displacement, too.

When you open the "radiator cap" on the heat exchanger when it's cold, it
should be filled completely with coolant and no air.....of course.

If you change out the tank to a bottom feeder, air cannot get into the heat
exchanger unless the tank is empty, of course....a much better way of doing
business.... There's lots of general purpose recovery tanks available to
replace it with at any auto parts store.....

Ping Larry Herodotus Cruising 4 July 12th 08 01:45 AM
Ping Larry (yet again) Herodotus Cruising 1 May 30th 08 06:28 AM
PING Larry: Way OT Red Cruising 4 September 19th 07 08:43 PM
Ping: Larry Peter Hendra Cruising 2 April 2nd 07 11:18 PM
ping Larry MMC Cruising 16 March 9th 06 04:40 AM