Default Batteries, again, sorry

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:58:35 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Meanwhile, the reason we're ashore is for Lydia's grandson's open heart
surgery, from which he comes home today. Prayers appreciated...

All the best for a good recovery. That's tough surgery for anyone,
let alone a child.

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Hi, Wilbur,

You have a big problem, Skippy. The problem is you are trying to run what
amounts to the average size house ashore on batteries. Considering your
total power usage you need a battery bank of at least 20 (yes, I said
TWENTY) of those Trojan deep cycle six-volt batteries. Then you need a
separate battery bank of at least 2 heavy duty cranking batteries for
your starter.

You should do either of three things.

1) continue to be an energy hog and plan on running your diesel with
heavy duty alternator for at least 8 hours a day to properly charge the
above suggested battery bank.
2) invest in an 8KW diesel variable output genset and run it 24/7 and
reduce the size of the suggested battery bank by a factor of five.
3) get rid of 80% of the crap in your boat that runs on electricity that
you don't need anyway and start acting like a sensible cruiser and have a
battery bank of 4 Trojans plus two starter batteries and charge them
using photovoltaics (400 watts worth) plus wind generator and stick to
using no more electricity per day than these input.

Wilbur Hubbard

We have 880 AH, which does us very well. In a tropical envrionment, for
which the system was designed, the current 370W solar and a single KISS
wind will keep us up to full charge.

Here in lesser ideal situations, occasionally we run the Honda through the
shorepower link to make the 70A inverter-charger run. For the next couple
of months or so we'll be at a dock, and, of course, that all will become
moot..

Virtually everything other than miscellaneous small chargers (spotlight,
toothbrushes, coffee grinder, and a computer flatscreen - more on which
below) is 12 V. When I find a suitable monitor which will run on ship
power, I'll replace the one I have and the entire computer setup will be
12V.

If you look in the archives (or I could perhaps repost it) I put up a very
extensive look at everything we had aboard, and the anticipated usage.
I'll add more solar when we do the hardtop, but for now, the system works
very well.

And we have a 9* freezer and 33* reefer - all the comforts of home, which
our boat is, and, now, having made landfall, can say conclusively that it
suits us much better than anything we've been reintroduced to ashore,
other than the unlimited water and drying for laundry.

Meanwhile, the reason we're ashore is for Lydia's grandson's open heart
surgery, from which he comes home today. Prayers appreciated...

L8R

Skip and crew

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Stamp out Sesquipedalianism

Hope all goes well....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

New Batteries? Molesworth Cruising 24 October 6th 07 03:59 AM
The Similarities and the Difference Between a Batteries-Isolator and a Batteries-Combiner [email protected] General 6 January 3rd 06 08:02 PM
Golf cart batteries w/ 12 volt batteries - Problem? beaufortnc Cruising 4 July 21st 05 08:36 PM
batteries Walt Boat Building 8 December 6th 04 01:54 AM
About those batteries? Schoonertrash Cruising 14 November 4th 03 01:52 AM