Schoonertrash

Default About those batteries?

The old boat had a couple of 4D's at 220 Amp each. The new boat is
currently using fairly standard 12 volt RV size batteries at 110 ratings
each. I'm thinking of going to the 6 volt variety as I have to go back up
to or near 400 Amp hours of storage. Which size, which voltage, and why?
If six volt are the fairly inexpensive one's from Costco (golf cart
batteries)useful or should I just spend the money at West Marine?

Tanks
Michael

Kelton Joyner

Trojan battery has the following deep cycle batteries suitable for house
batteries
The J250G (220 Ahr @ 20 hr rate) $100.95 ea. plus any taxes
The J305G (285 Ahr @ 20 hr rate) $130.95 ea. plus any taxes
The J305HC (335 Ahr @ 20 hr rate) $169.95 ea. plus any taxes
http://www.trojanbattery.com/productspecsguide.pdf
The West Marine 6V battery is a Trojan T-105 (225 Ahr @ 20 hr rate).
Catalog price is 109.99 plus tax. West Marine catalog conservatively
rates battery @ 215 Ahrs
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Schoonertrash wrote:
The old boat had a couple of 4D's at 220 Amp each. The new boat is
currently using fairly standard 12 volt RV size batteries at 110 ratings
each. I'm thinking of going to the 6 volt variety as I have to go back up
to or near 400 Amp hours of storage. Which size, which voltage, and why?
If six volt are the fairly inexpensive one's from Costco (golf cart
batteries)useful or should I just spend the money at West Marine?

Tanks
Michael

I bought 6 new real Trojan 6 V T-105's a year ago for $65 ea from a
Trojan dealer. They replaced 2 8D's in exactly the same footprint.
they're a bit higher but same footpring and got 50% more AH than the 2
8D's - better yet I can lift them without a problem. They have
threaded stud terminals which I like a lot better than the clamp
terminals. Stay away from West Marine and get the real Trojans from a
good dealer, not Costco, Sams etc. Real Trojans are date stamped on
the battery terminals with a 2 character date code month letter, year
number so you can see you're getting fresh batteries. One other point
- I really like the T-105 caps - much better than any other I've used.

Schoonertrash wrote:
The old boat had a couple of 4D's at 220 Amp each. The new boat is
currently using fairly standard 12 volt RV size batteries at 110 ratings
each. I'm thinking of going to the 6 volt variety as I have to go back up
to or near 400 Amp hours of storage. Which size, which voltage, and why?
If six volt are the fairly inexpensive one's from Costco (golf cart
batteries)useful or should I just spend the money at West Marine?

Tanks
Michael

Chris

Hello:

I just replaced my 400 ah house bank.

DO NOT go to West Marine. Look first to stores that supply other items
to a specific "industry" or field. For example, In the NW there is a
chain farm/ranch supply store namend D&B Supply. They sell 6v Trojan
T-105 (225 Ahr @ 20 hr rate)for $59.00 each

I guess they figure the poor ranchers can't afford to shop at West
Marine.

I also get antibotics by the pint for about $14.00 and the feed store.
If you don't mind giving your pet a shot you can save $100s on vet
bills. Same idea.

Do not get stuck with the idea that something for a boat must be
"marine."

Chris
Freya 39

"Schoonertrash" wrote in message ...
The old boat had a couple of 4D's at 220 Amp each. The new boat is
currently using fairly standard 12 volt RV size batteries at 110 ratings
each. I'm thinking of going to the 6 volt variety as I have to go back up
to or near 400 Amp hours of storage. Which size, which voltage, and why?
If six volt are the fairly inexpensive one's from Costco (golf cart
batteries)useful or should I just spend the money at West Marine?

Tanks
Michael

Fred Miller

Schoonertrash wrote:
The old boat had a couple of 4D's at 220 Amp each. The new boat is
currently using fairly standard 12 volt RV size batteries at 110

ratings
each. I'm thinking of going to the 6 volt variety as I have to go back

up
to or near 400 Amp hours of storage. Which size, which voltage, and

why?
If six volt are the fairly inexpensive one's from Costco (golf cart
batteries)useful or should I just spend the money at West Marine?

Tanks
Michael

Assuming each of the 8Ds you replaced was 12 volts how did you wire 3 6 volt
batteries to replace them? Or were they originally wired in parallel in one
large 12 volt bank?

Fred
MV Miller Time

Larry W4CSC

Those cheap golf cart batteries are a great buy. They work fine.....

Of course, I'm not a MARINE dealer....(c;

Everybody knows you need $469 GSM "boat" batteries in red, orange or
yellow cases. Black clashes with the white fiberglass......

We installed two banks of 350AH golf cart batteries on Lionheart.
They are twice as high as the bargains at Costco (hardly a wholesale
anything outlet like Sam's). We needed 700AH to run the hydraulic B&G
autopilot pump on Network Pilot.....They work great and have the same
footprint as the shorter ones.

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 10:35:26 -0500, "Schoonertrash"
wrote:

The old boat had a couple of 4D's at 220 Amp each. The new boat is
currently using fairly standard 12 volt RV size batteries at 110 ratings
each. I'm thinking of going to the 6 volt variety as I have to go back up
to or near 400 Amp hours of storage. Which size, which voltage, and why?
If six volt are the fairly inexpensive one's from Costco (golf cart
batteries)useful or should I just spend the money at West Marine?

Tanks
Michael

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Chuck Bollinger

Here's the reference you want in the Pacific NW. 6-volt batteries which you
mount in series - two for 12V with great amp-hours. Use two banks with a
switch. For us, it replaces a generator at a quiet anchorage using an inverter.
Once we get underway we recharge with a cruise generator. And I use a CPAP
machine all night. Plenty of power. And all the guys at this place have been
to the Trojan factory to learn batteries from the box up.

Schoonertrash wrote:
The old boat had a couple of 4D's at 220 Amp each. The new boat is
currently using fairly standard 12 volt RV size batteries at 110 ratings
each. I'm thinking of going to the 6 volt variety as I have to go back up
to or near 400 Amp hours of storage. Which size, which voltage, and why?
If six volt are the fairly inexpensive one's from Costco (golf cart
batteries)useful or should I just spend the money at West Marine?

Tanks
Michael

Chuck Bollinger

Default About those batteries? oops - forgot URL

here it is:
http://www.alliedbattery.com/6%20V%20DC.htm