Jim

Default Cheap AGM Batteries in Charlotte NC

If you're not too far from Charlotte NC and want an AGM battery real
cheap, you might be interested in this. These are Dynasty batteries
out of UPS systems at a local bank. I *KNOW* these are not marine
batteries, but for the capacity and price, some folks out there might
still be interested. As I understand it, the batteries are only a
year or so old, but were swapped out as part of the service contract.
I called Dynasty and was told that they wouldn't last as long if used
as deep cycle batteries, but should be fine for starting.

The batteries are 134Ah @ 20hr rate, 122AH @ 10hr rate, 475 watts
per cell at 15 minute rate. The price: $20. If interested, call
Stan at 704-522-1956. Sorry, I forget the name of his company. I
found out about him through a friend.

Specs for this battery can be found at:
http://www.dynastybattery.com/cd_dyn...pdf/12-475.pdf

Note that the connectors are bolts so you might have to modify your
battery connection, depending on usage.

I plan on trying one as a starting battery for my boat. I also plan
on trying one with a home-duty UPS unit that I consider disposable.
i.e. not an expensive one and would cost more for a replacement battery
than buying a new unit of that type. Since I don't need it anyway...
I know it will drive the inverter of the UPS no problem. I just don't
know yet if the lower internal resistance of the battery will cause the
UPS unit to overdrive its charging circuit and burn it out. But hey,
it's something to play with right? :^)

I wanted to post this in case anyone here is interested.

-Jim

PS: These batteries are roughly 1.5" wider than a deep cycle 3"
taller and weigh 100 pounds.