Default You may recognize this boat if you read much

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1122214909.html

Gordon wrote in
m:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1122214909.html

Times are tough....

Larry

In article ,
says...
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1122214909.html

At $3000 for a 27' cruiser, if I were considering a long
summer charter, I'd buy the boat instead. Sail her for
6 or 7 weeks in the summer, then donate her to the Sea
Scouts for a tax deduction.

Mark Borgerson

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:27:40 -0700, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

In article ,
says...
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1122214909.html

At $3000 for a 27' cruiser, if I were considering a long
summer charter, I'd buy the boat instead. Sail her for
6 or 7 weeks in the summer, then donate her to the Sea
Scouts for a tax deduction.

When I was a kid the Des Moines Sea Scouts were rebuilding an A Scow,
a 38 ft 30 MPH day sailer. It was wood and in bad shape but they
hadn't been built in years. Now they are back in production in
plastic. 1850 pounds.

Casady

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:27:40 -0700, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

In article ,
says...
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1122214909.html

At $3000 for a 27' cruiser, if I were considering a long
summer charter, I'd buy the boat instead. Sail her for
6 or 7 weeks in the summer, then donate her to the Sea
Scouts for a tax deduction.

When I was a kid the Des Moines Sea Scouts were rebuilding an A Scow,
a 38 ft 30 MPH day sailer. It was wood and in bad shape but they
hadn't been built in years. Now they are back in production in
plastic. 1850 pounds.

I worked on a scow of about 20' length while in sea scouts in
the early 60's. It was a long-term project that didn't
make it into the water before I went off to college.

I think they were popular home-built projects because they
had no compound curves in the plywood planking. The hull
on the one we got was mostly built---but there was no
hardware, mast, or sails.

Mark Borgerson

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:01:25 -0700, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

I think they were popular home-built projects because they
had no compound curves in the plywood planking. The hull
on the one we got was mostly built---but there was no
hardware, mast, or sails.

Never heard of a scow with any plywood in it. And I never heard of a
homemade scow. Only been sailing them for fifty years, what would I
know? There are two 20 footers, the C with just the main, and the D
with a jib. And the M-20 which is more recent than the 19th century C
and D.

Casady

Gordon wrote:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1122214909.html

Gee whiz! A 27 ft boat capable of the Marquesas and Hawaii
with gear - even if it has an outboard to belie the prop shaft
sticking out of the hull - for $3 grand.

Brian W

In article ,
says...
wrote:

I think they were popular home-built projects because they
had no compound curves in the plywood planking. The hull
on the one we got was mostly built---but there was no
hardware, mast, or sails.

Never heard of a scow with any plywood in it. And I never heard of a
homemade scow. Only been sailing them for fifty years, what would I
know? There are two 20 footers, the C with just the main, and the D
with a jib. And the M-20 which is more recent than the 19th century C
and D.

It seems your experience is limited to racing classes, then! ;-)

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/ji...sbox/index.htm
and

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Scow

"The squared off shape and simple lines of a scow make it a popular
choice for simple home-built boats made from plywood. Phil Bolger and
Jim Michalak, for example, have designed a number of small sailing
scows, and the PD Racer is a growing class of home-built sailing scow.
Generally these designs are created to minimize waste when using
standard 4-foot by 8-foot sheets of plywood."

There are lots of other references if you Google "plywood sailing scow"

Mark Borgerson

Jim Jim is offline

Default This posting has been deleted by its author.

Gordon wrote:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1122214909.html

How about describing it for those of us who missed it?

Jim wrote:
Gordon wrote:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1122214909.html

How about describing it for those of us who missed it?

This was a 27' Albin Vega named "Mahina" which was the same boat from
the book named "Log of the Mahina". This boat sailed between Hawaii and
the Marquesas.
It was for sale for $3000.
Gordon

Anyone recognize this fish? Wayne.B General 10 March 1st 09 04:51 AM
Does anyone recognize these outboards ? Wayne.B General 26 April 26th 08 11:03 PM
please read (ryan 26 boat) J G General 3 November 13th 06 03:51 PM
please read (ryan 26 boat) J G General 1 November 7th 06 06:04 AM
Anyone recognize this object? R.H. General 12 August 29th 04 03:16 AM