R.H.

Default Anyone recognize this object?

Someone suggested that the object in question might be used on a boat,
but I'm not sure, it's number 98 on the site below.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 23 Aug 2004 14:41:50 -0700, (R.H.) wrote:

Someone suggested that the object in question might be used on a boat,
but I'm not sure, it's number 98 on the site below.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

It's not marine in nature I can tell you that.

I believe it is a tool that silversmiths use for making candle
holders. I can't be sure because there are no dimensions.

However, don't take that to the bank -I have seen one of these things
before, but my memory is faulty.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
R.H.

On 23 Aug 2004 14:41:50 -0700, (R.H.) wrote:

Someone suggested that the object in question might be used on a boat,
but I'm not sure, it's number 98 on the site below.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

It's not marine in nature I can tell you that.

I believe it is a tool that silversmiths use for making candle
holders. I can't be sure because there are no dimensions.

Thanks, I'll put that on my list of possible answers.

R.H.

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
hlink.net...

99 is a wire gauge.

Do you know what is meant by "Lights per inch"?

Rob

Jack Goff

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
hlink.net...
99 is a wire gauge.

Wire gauges are made in this way, but the photo is not one of a wire gauge.
The measurement listed on one side is "lights per inch", and on the other is
"ounces per square foot".

The latter seems to be a gauge to determine the weight of some sheet
material (sheet metal perhaps?), since the weight goes up along with the
thickness. But the side with the "lights per inch" measurement goes *down*
as thickness increases, and I don't have a clue what that could be used for.

Jack

Jim Carter

R.H.

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

#99 is a gauge for measuring the thickness of leather.

Thanks, sounds like a good possibility, I'll have to do some research on
this. I always need to verify any suggestions since I've been given wrong
information several times, but this has a good ring to it. Do you know of
any links that support your answer, or do you have any idea what "lights per
inch" means?

Rob

LaBomba182

Subject: Anyone recognize this object?
From: Dan Krueger

9ga wire is thicker than 12 ga wire, etc. I don't know of any other products

where smaller is bigger...

Dan

410 verses a 12 gauge perhaps? :-)

Capt. Bill