Hoges in WA

Default Cruising in Italy?

In the mags I read I see plenty about cruising in France, Greece, the
Caribbean, the Pacific etc etc with some spots getting a lot more coverage
than others for whatever reason.

One thing I have begun to notice is that there appears to be precious little
on Italy. Apart from Sicily, and there is not much of that, is there a
reason behind this? Are there no navigable waterways? Few harbours? Few
anchorages?

Just curious.

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

Manlio Laschena

Followup to msg on Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:06:29 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
:
(Original msg on bottom)

try Rod Heikell : Italian Waters Pilot ISBN 0 85288 627 6
www.imray.com

BTW there are thousands of pleasure boats around Italy and they sail
all the time ... :-))) or we would like to do it !

There are a lot of Marinas and harbours .. Italy is a big peninsula
totally surrounded by sea, as you know ... how could be .. with no
harbours. Have you never heard about Genoans, Pisans, Neapolitans ,
Venetians etc ..not to talk about Colombo . all sailors !!

Anyhow if you have some specific question ask here !
Ciao

Manlio

In the mags I read I see plenty about cruising in France, Greece, the
Caribbean, the Pacific etc etc with some spots getting a lot more coverage
than others for whatever reason.

One thing I have begun to notice is that there appears to be precious little
on Italy. Apart from Sicily, and there is not much of that, is there a
reason behind this? Are there no navigable waterways? Few harbours? Few
anchorages?

Just curious.

Manlio Laschena
http://Delphi-Jedi.org
Jim Richardson

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:27:01 GMT,
Manlio Laschena wrote:
Followup to msg on Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:06:29 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
:
(Original msg on bottom)

try Rod Heikell : Italian Waters Pilot ISBN 0 85288 627 6
www.imray.com

BTW there are thousands of pleasure boats around Italy and they sail
all the time ... :-))) or we would like to do it !

There are a lot of Marinas and harbours .. Italy is a big peninsula
totally surrounded by sea, as you know ... how could be .. with no
harbours. Have you never heard about Genoans, Pisans, Neapolitans ,
Venetians etc ..not to talk about Colombo . all sailors !!

Anyhow if you have some specific question ask here !
Ciao

Manlio

I was in Bari a couple of years ago on business. Boats all over the
place. Warm water, great weather (a bit muggy inland, but great on the
coast).

Old harbour, pre Roman IIRC, lots of interesting maritime history.

Really wish I could have brought the boat with me, but it
exceeded my checked baggage allowance, plus, I think my boss was worried
I wouldn't come back then

In the mags I read I see plenty about cruising in France, Greece, the
Caribbean, the Pacific etc etc with some spots getting a lot more coverage
than others for whatever reason.

One thing I have begun to notice is that there appears to be precious little
on Italy. Apart from Sicily, and there is not much of that, is there a
reason behind this? Are there no navigable waterways? Few harbours? Few
anchorages?

Just curious.

Manlio Laschena
http://Delphi-Jedi.org

If you can't laugh at yourself, someone else is going to do it for you, and
you're not going to enjoy it nearly as much.
Manlio Laschena

Followup to msg on Mon, 19 Jul 2004 00:35:21 GMT, Jim Richardson
:
(Original msg on bottom)

Jim,
I bet that if, by chance, you would have been on the west side of
Italy ... like Capri or Eolie islands etc ... your boss was still now
looking for you .. with or without the boat :-)))

Cheer

Manlio

I was in Bari a couple of years ago on business. Boats all over the
place. Warm water, great weather (a bit muggy inland, but great on the
coast).

Old harbour, pre Roman IIRC, lots of interesting maritime history.

Really wish I could have brought the boat with me, but it
exceeded my checked baggage allowance, plus, I think my boss was worried
I wouldn't come back then

Manlio Laschena
http://Delphi-Jedi.org

Manlio Laschena
http://Delphi-Jedi.org
Jim Richardson

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:16:29 GMT,
Manlio Laschena wrote:
Followup to msg on Mon, 19 Jul 2004 00:35:21 GMT, Jim Richardson
:
(Original msg on bottom)

Jim,
I bet that if, by chance, you would have been on the west side of
Italy ... like Capri or Eolie islands etc ... your boss was still now
looking for you .. with or without the boat :-)))

Cheer

Manlio

Well, Kat (the wife) and I, are planning a trip back there when I can a)
enjoy it more and b) she can come too... Not sure if it will be soon,
without the boat, or a couple of years, with Windwalker.

I was in Bari a couple of years ago on business. Boats all over the
place. Warm water, great weather (a bit muggy inland, but great on the
coast).

Old harbour, pre Roman IIRC, lots of interesting maritime history.

Really wish I could have brought the boat with me, but it
exceeded my checked baggage allowance, plus, I think my boss was worried
I wouldn't come back then

Manlio Laschena
http://Delphi-Jedi.org

Manlio Laschena
http://Delphi-Jedi.org

If your voting could really change things, Congress
would make it illegal.

Leanne

I bet that if, by chance, you would have been on the west side of
Italy ... like Capri or Eolie islands etc ...

I have fond memories and many pictures of the west side. I remember standing
on a pier and looking across at the brand new liner called the Andrea Doria.
It seems just like just a few years ago. My how time flies.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

Manlio Laschena

Followup to msg on Mon, 19 Jul 2004 07:56:29 -0400, "Leanne"
:
(Original msg on bottom)

I remember that I have to take the next passage on the Andrea Doria,
but ... she sunk !

Flies flies ... I think has taken a jet ... !

Ciao
Manlio