MMC MMC is offline

Default my next dream boat...

is a Freedom 33 Cat Ketch. I like the semi-traditional look, the uniqueness
(is this a word?) of the cat ketch rig in a (more) modern yachts and, from
following the Yahoo owners group, the dedication displayed by the owners for
these boats.
I like the 36 too but not real fond of the big bump out in the cockpit
created by the aft cabin. We (the family and I) enjoy a large(r) cockpit and
this arrangement wouldn't work for us.
I'd like a shoal draft/swing keel but like the openess of the cabin with the
fixed keel (swing keel version has the trunk bisecting the salon), but can't
have everything so probably settle for the fixed keel.
I've seen other more recent cat ketches but most look like most other modern
boats that just happen to have this rig, almost as an after thought while
the Freedoms maintain some of the "chunkyness" of the old cat boats.
Not looking for screaming speed or to wow the dock walkers, but more the
comfort, design, ease of use and style of these boats.
Just trying to start a boat/cruising related discussion.
What do you guys think?

"mmc" wrote in news:49d230de$0$4893
:

What do you guys think?

Isn't it fun to dream?

I sail on an old Sharki 41 out of Charleston.

I've had the pleasure of sailing on the Amel 54 they make now.

http://www.amel.fr/

put your mouse on "La Gamme" and click Amel 54, the only one they make,
now.

Click the Video, sit back and enjoy......

It IS fun to dream......(c;]

You can go to France and watch them make yours......(sigh)

"mmc" wrote in news:49d230de$0$4893
:

What do you guys think?

http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/en/sec...t=Amel+54+2007

Isn't it amazing what 3/4 of a million Euros can buy?

On Mar 31, 12:29 pm, Larry wrote:
"mmc" wrote in news:49d230de$0$4893
:

What do you guys think?

http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/en/sec...t=Amel+54+2007

Isn't it amazing what 3/4 of a million Euros can buy?

I once chartered a Freedom 33 with swing keel and did not like it.
The swing keel was a bear to winch up or let down. Sail handling also
seemed difficult for some reason but my impression was that it was due
to poor maintenance. I believe that if the boat was well maintained
our charter would have gone much better.

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

The advantage of the swing keel in a smaller sailboat, besides sailing in
shallow waters, is the ability to easily launch/retrieve & tow.
With a 36 boat, I'd be more concerned about stability in heavy seas... so
I'd stick with a fixed keel.

Don White wrote:
"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

regardless of what it does to windward performance...

In article , cavelamb wrote:
Don White wrote:

[snip]

I'd stick with a fixed keel.

regardless of what it does to windward performance...

I beg your pudding? Please support that or correct it, otherwise I'm
flummoxed.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

In article ,
says...
Don White wrote:
"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

Until you get into the classes like the America's Cup yachts, with
their tilting keels, doesn't a fixed keel improve windward
performance?

Mark Borgerson

Mark Borgerson wrote:
In article ,
says...
Don White wrote:
"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

Yeah. That's what I was trying to get at.

"mmc" wrote in
g.com:

[...]

I'd suggest that you go to http://www.FreedomYachts.org/ and ask any
questions that you may have. You'll get much more detailed answers than
you'll get in here.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Your Dream Boat Robert Otto General 2 November 13th 03 12:31 PM
Your Dream Boat Robert Otto General 0 November 13th 03 06:45 AM
Your Dream Boat Robert Otto Whitewater 0 November 13th 03 06:44 AM
Your Dream Boat Robert Otto Touring 0 November 13th 03 06:43 AM
How To Buy Your Dream Boat James General 0 October 22nd 03 05:33 PM