Mark Borgerson Mark Borgerson is offline

Default my next dream boat...

In article ,
says...
Don White wrote:
"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
is a Freedom 33 Cat Ketch. I like the semi-traditional look, the
uniqueness (is this a word?) of the cat ketch rig in a (more) modern
yachts and, from following the Yahoo owners group, the dedication
displayed by the owners for these boats.
I like the 36 too but not real fond of the big bump out in the cockpit
created by the aft cabin. We (the family and I) enjoy a large(r) cockpit
and this arrangement wouldn't work for us.
I'd like a shoal draft/swing keel but like the openess of the cabin with
the fixed keel (swing keel version has the trunk bisecting the salon), but
can't have everything so probably settle for the fixed keel.
I've seen other more recent cat ketches but most look like most other
modern boats that just happen to have this rig, almost as an after thought
while the Freedoms maintain some of the "chunkyness" of the old cat boats.
Not looking for screaming speed or to wow the dock walkers, but more the
comfort, design, ease of use and style of these boats.
Just trying to start a boat/cruising related discussion.
What do you guys think?

The advantage of the swing keel in a smaller sailboat, besides sailing in
shallow waters, is the ability to easily launch/retrieve & tow.
With a 36 boat, I'd be more concerned about stability in heavy seas... so
I'd stick with a fixed keel.

regardless of what it does to windward performance...

Until you get into the classes like the America's Cup yachts, with
their tilting keels, doesn't a fixed keel improve windward
performance?

Mark Borgerson