Default my next dream boat...

Justin C wrote:
In article , cavelamb wrote:
When Brian A. Lewis of Seattle tried to sell his boat, Jubilee, no one would pay
his asking price of $28,500. Mr. Lewis told police investigators that
maintaining the boat caused “extreme anxiety,” which led him to him drill a
two-inch hole in Jubilee’s hull last March.

Jeebus, the mind absolutely boggles. REDUCE THE PRICE!

There are some of us who'd bite the hand off these people. I'm not a
poor man, but neither am I that wealthy that I can afford the boat of my
dreams. At the moment I'm looking for a boat, and my budget is about
$17k (12k of our British pounds). There's not an awful lot you can get
this side of the pond for that money.

I can understand that people don't want to make a loss on these things,
but surely it's better to get *some* money for a boat than lose it and
gain a criminal record?

What is happening to these boats abandoned in the US? Are salvage
companies taking them and re-selling them? Are they being scrapped? What
is the law regarding finding an abandoned boat - especially one with
it's identification erased? Are there cherries to be found in the
everglades?! Should I come for a holiday in the hope of finding
something?

Justin.

My wild guess would be that they are going to be considered salvage.

Wish I were there and had a good sized tug handy!

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 21:36:01 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:17:03 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

"Edgar" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...
Agreed. Shallow water is the reason for my preference of a swing keel.
I'm
just off the Indian River Lagoon, where (as I'm sure you know), except
for a few spots in our area, sailing is pretty much restricted to the
ICW
channel for boats with more than 4' draft. These open areas are mostly
deep enough but I've done my share of sandbar hopping on a friends 27
Hunter with 4'2" draft. There's the ocean too, but we're about 5 boat
hours from the inlet which doesn't allow for "just hop on the boat"
outings.
For shallow water I think that a centreboard is best if you want a boat
that can go well to windward when there is sufficient depth and yet go
into shallow water with the keel up.
I don't understand your preference for swing keel in shallow water,
unless we are not talking about the same thing. To me, a swing keel is
what the deep ocean racers have, with a heavy bulb at the bottom that
can
be swung to one side to provide better stiffness on a long tack. In
restricted shallow water that would be useless since when you tack there
would be insufficient water to swing the keel down and hoist it up the
other side.

We're talking about the same thing. I've always understood a swing keel as
the as the type that is drawn in a arc (pivoting on a pin at the top) into
trunk, either under the boat or inside the cabin as in the Freedoms.
But then, I could have been using the wrong terminology for a long time
now!
I beleive the term for a type you describe that pivots side to side is
"Canting Ballast".

I've always thought of a swing keel as being a centerboard that is
also substantial ballast.

Yes, some are and some are not heavy. I have raced dinghies with cb's
weighing almost 200 pounds and others where the cb was plywood for lightness
with a slug of lead cast in to ensure it stayed down.

If the purpose is just to present a surface, then it's a centerboard.
If the purpose is also to provide substantial ballast similar to what
a fixed keel would offer, then it's a swing keel.

Two different animals.

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:41:29 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

Agreed. Shallow water is the reason for my preference of a swing keel. I'm
just off the Indian River Lagoon,

Do you happen to know the best spot to watch a shuttle launch from a
boat with 5 1/2 ft draft? I'd really like to get over there for a
launch one of these days.

My chrysler C-22 is a swing keel, also a dream boat for me . seems
like the perfect sailboat for someone gettingt back into it. I like
the ideal/versitality of it will be great for playing at the local
lakes and when I'm ready for the big pond It sould be good for short
hops.

Mario

If the purpose is just to present a surface, then it's a centerboard.
If the purpose is also to provide substantial ballast similar to what
a fixed keel would offer, then it's a swing keel.

Two different animals.- Hide quoted text -

Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:41:29 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

Agreed. Shallow water is the reason for my preference of a swing keel. I'm
just off the Indian River Lagoon,

Do you happen to know the best spot to watch a shuttle launch from a
boat with 5 1/2 ft draft? I'd really like to get over there for a
launch one of these days.

Any closer than 10 mile would be too close.

Besides the beating from the overpressure, the authorities would run
you out anyway.

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:23:57 -0000, Justin C
wrote:

I can understand that people don't want to make a loss on these things,
but surely it's better to get *some* money for a boat than lose it and
gain a criminal record?

Crims think they will get away with it.
Many do.
Look at Wall Street.

--Vic
MMC MMC is offline

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:41:29 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

Agreed. Shallow water is the reason for my preference of a swing keel. I'm
just off the Indian River Lagoon,

Do you happen to know the best spot to watch a shuttle launch from a
boat with 5 1/2 ft draft? I'd really like to get over there for a
launch one of these days.

Just North of the locks at Port Canaveral are a series of spoil islands and
the third one (heading North) has deep water on it's South side. Good place
for raft ups as the island usually has enough beach for a bond fire and a
bunch of people hanging out. Oops, just checked it out on Google Earth and
it looks like the beach was gone when the photos were done which I think
would have been 2005.
I don't think it's in the security zone for launches but it might be.
Another, and probably better place to watch a launch would be Titusville
City Marina. You could anchor off if there are no slips available and dinghy
to the marina.
If you decide to do it let me know and if I'm in town, I'll buy you a beer.
Just on the mainland side of the NASA causeway is Spaceport Florida, which
is pretty interesting and at the other end is the KSC visitor center and if
you're into the space program it's worth the trip. Tons (lots of tons) of
rockets and such, also I beleive they do a bus tour of the space center.
Used to work at Cape Canaveral AFS so I got to see all that stuff for free.

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:51:46 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll take a look at the charts.

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:56:33 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Anybody have any real experience with any of these - for comparison purposes?

When I was a PHRF handicapper we used to rate the centerboard versions
of the same boat 6 to 9 seconds per mile slower. At 5 kts that works
out to less than a tenth of a knot difference. That's a big
difference in racing but barely noticable to most cruising boats.
That assumes that the centerboard is properly faired and kept in race
ready condition (spotlessly clean).

Your Dream Boat Robert Otto General 2 November 13th 03 12:31 PM
Your Dream Boat Robert Otto General 0 November 13th 03 06:45 AM
Your Dream Boat Robert Otto Whitewater 0 November 13th 03 06:44 AM
Your Dream Boat Robert Otto Touring 0 November 13th 03 06:43 AM
How To Buy Your Dream Boat James General 0 October 22nd 03 05:33 PM