Peter Bennett

Default Color-coded lines, paint?

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:13:56 -0500, Jim Cate wrote:

What about patterns made with permanent Magic Marker pens? Incidentally,
the interest in color coding isn't so much to identify the lines, but
to permit convenient checks on how much line has been let out. For
example, how deep the dagger board has been extended, or how much to
drop the main halyard for first, second, or third reefing points, or how
much anchor line has been let out.

Jim

"Permanent" felt markers will work for that purpose, but I think
you'll have to renew the marking every few months.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Rosalie B.

krj wrote:

For once JAX is correct. Port (left) has the red light and starboard
(right) has the green light. Your rear has the white light.
krj

That's if you are facing the bow.

Scott Vernon wrote:
other way around, jax.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

you people are easily confused. do you wear a green mitten on your right

hand

and red mitten on your left hand?

grandma Rosalie
Steve Daniels

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:16:31 GMT, something compelled Rosalie B.
, to say:

krj wrote:

For once JAX is correct. Port (left) has the red light and starboard
(right) has the green light. Your rear has the white light.
krj

That's if you are facing the bow.

I'm still looking for a white light in my rear. No luck so far.
Dan Best

Only when I'm not paying attention as I walk out the door (as often as
not) ;-)

JAXAshby wrote:
you people are easily confused. do you wear a green mitten on your right hand
and red mitten on your left hand?

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:07:38 -0500, Jim Cate wrote:

I have a small cruiser with a number of lines led to the cockpit, and I
am thinking of marking them (color coding) to help in identifying the
lines when under sail. Has anyone marked or color-coded their lines, and
if so, what kind of paint or dye would be recommended. I'm considering
using cans of paint spray to mark portions of the lines. - Obviously, I
don't want to damage the lines, and I would like to use something that
would stand up to heat, moisture, etc., over time.

Jim Cate

If they all lead through stoppers or rope clutches, it might be easier
to label the clutches with dymos or the like. Otherwise, you could sew
some colored thread into the lines for an inch or so wherever it would
be visible when you needed to know.

When time comes to replace a line, you can get them in all sorts of
color.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Accordions don't play 'Lady of Spain.' People play 'Lady of Spain."