Default Running Fix

anybody have any cool navigation tricks to share?

We went over running fixes tonight in class.

got to go to Block Island!
Always wanted to go there.

"cavelamb" wrote in message
anybody have any cool navigation tricks to share?

We went over running fixes tonight in class.

got to go to Block Island!
Always wanted to go there.

You should try and get out on the water to try it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:27:03 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

anybody have any cool navigation tricks to share?

We went over running fixes tonight in class.

got to go to Block Island!
Always wanted to go there.

Where do you sail out of?

Dave wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:27:03 -0600, cavelamb said:

got to go to Block Island!
Always wanted to go there.

It is indeed a very nice stop. Gets very crowded, though. Our club keeps a
mooring there for members.

Some day (in the hopefully not to distant future) we are going to cast off from
our normal mundane lives, and sail up the ICW to "Down East".

Then turn around and run for our lives from the cold!

It should be a whale of a trip.

I keep telling myself that. And self keeps saying, yeahbut first we have to
blah blah blah.

I think to make this thing happen, I'm going to have to quit listening to
that part of myself and just load up and go.

That's the only way anybody ever actually breaks loose, isn't it.

Richard

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 13, 10:32*am, cavelamb wrote:

I think to make this thing happen, I'm going to have to quit listening to
that part of myself and just load up and go.

What is that part of yourself telling you?

it's hard to beat Twains advice

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the
things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off
the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in
your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

If you need an example of what can happen if you put off your dreams
to long ....just look at Nellie.

That's the only way anybody ever actually breaks loose, isn't it.

The perfect time will never come if you are waiting for it.

Joe

Richard

cavelamb wrote:
anybody have any cool navigation tricks to share?

We went over running fixes tonight in class.

got to go to Block Island!
Always wanted to go there.

Keep all three GPSs dry, and spare Lion cells on hand?
(How crass of me!)

Brian W :-)

Joe wrote:

Hi Joe!
How ya been?

On Feb 13, 10:32 am, cavelamb wrote:

I think to make this thing happen, I'm going to have to quit listening to
that part of myself and just load up and go.

What is that part of yourself telling you?

Probably what we call the "sensible" self.

The part that notices that most people don't do crazy adventurous stuff any
more. It's so much safer, cheaper, and comfortable to stay home and watch
crazy people have their adventures on TV.

I can't attribute correctly, but I recall someone quoted as saying an
adventure was someone *else* suffering from their foolishness thousands of
miles from home - or something to that effect.

Twain's advice calls to my heart though!

it's hard to beat Twains advice

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the
things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off
the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in
your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

If you need an example of what can happen if you put off your dreams
to long ....just look at Nellie.

That's the only way anybody ever actually breaks loose, isn't it.

The perfect time will never come if you are waiting for it.

Joe
Richard

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:33:29 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Are you talking about Block Island, RI?

On the Martha's Vineyard chart.

Interesting choice of charts for navigation training, huh?

USCG uses that chart with their navigation testing for a captain's
license. As a result it is very popular for class room instruction.

Well the Grady is out of the running... Short Wave Sportfishing General 113 February 7th 08 01:32 AM
Running a business! Steve Leyland ASA 0 August 6th 06 06:14 AM
Running Bad 49drd Cruising 0 July 16th 06 11:53 PM
Running scared! Scott Vernon ASA 8 October 1st 04 02:35 AM
Running aground Gerard Weatherby ASA 0 June 26th 03 12:39 AM