Default Running Fix

On Feb 13, 2:25*pm, cavelamb wrote:
Joe wrote:
* * * “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the
things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off
the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in
your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

The perfect time will never come if you are waiting for it.

Joe
Richard

Hey Joe,

We are trying to put together a trip down there to look at slips
and apartments.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to sit down with you and
hear the story over a beer or two.

How about send me a note at this address so we can hook up?

Richard

Hello Richard,

Shoot me an email to joe at el lago coffee dot com

Joe

cavelamb wrote:
Brian Whatcott wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
anybody have any cool navigation tricks to share?

We went over running fixes tonight in class.

got to go to Block Island!
Always wanted to go there.

Keep all three GPSs dry, and spare Lion cells on hand?
(How crass of me!)

Brian W :-)

All the GPS shows is course to destination.

Based on that, how does one determine set and drift?

Even the simplest of handhelds give you cross track error,,, from that
it's a trivial calculation.

Cheers
Martin

cavelamb wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:27:03 -0600, cavelamb
said:

got to go to Block Island!
Always wanted to go there.

It is indeed a very nice stop. Gets very crowded, though. Our club
keeps a
mooring there for members.

Some day (in the hopefully not to distant future) we are going to cast
off from
our normal mundane lives, and sail up the ICW to "Down East".

Then turn around and run for our lives from the cold!

It should be a whale of a trip.

I keep telling myself that. And self keeps saying, yeahbut first we
have to
blah blah blah.

I think to make this thing happen, I'm going to have to quit listening to
that part of myself and just load up and go.

That's the only way anybody ever actually breaks loose, isn't it.

My wife and I went through the same thing before our year-long ICW trip.
People asked if it was scary to quit our good jobs and just take
off, but as the time approached I realized it was scarier to think that
20 years hence we might look back and realize that we had the
opportunity and never did it!

For details of the trip: www.sv-loki.com/The_Trip/the_trip.html

BTW, one slightly unexpected issue with taking a long sabbatical is that
we have had absolutely no desire to work since returning. Fortunately
all of our assets are in real estate and the stock market, so our future
is secure!

jeff wrote:

BTW, one slightly unexpected issue with taking a long sabbatical is that
we have had absolutely no desire to work since returning. Fortunately
all of our assets are in real estate and the stock market, so our future
is secure!

Good to see that you didn't mislay your sense of humour along the way!

Cheers
Martin

jeff wrote:
said:

[...]

Fascinating story there, Jeff.
Kinda neat to watch the kids grow up.

so were is Summer '08?

Where is summer '08?

cavelamb wrote:
jeff wrote:

For details of the trip: www.sv-loki.com/The_Trip/the_trip.html

Fascinating story there, Jeff.
Kinda neat to watch the kids grow up.

so were is Summer '08?

Where is summer '08?

Summer '08 was a rerun of Summer '07. A month around the Vineyard, a
month in Maine, and then a week on the inner Cape and P'town. The big
difference was that instead of continuous fog in Maine we had continuous
torrential rain. This coming Summer we plan on foregoing Maine (which
will guarantee they will have glorious weather!) and spend that month
around Narragansett Bay or maybe the eastern Long Island Sound area.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:11:49 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

All the GPS shows is course to destination.

Based on that, how does one determine set and drift?

The wiseass answer is that that is what air navigation slide rules are
for.

Pilots do it at 600 mph with all the gear on their lap, or at least
they used to. When I learned to fly the navaid was VOR, which gave you
the heading and distance from a station, and you set it and kept the
needle centered. You fles over the stations rather than the shortest
distance. The gear learned to read two stations and give you lat long
and other things. Called that area nav. Very expensive and forgotten,
like Decca. You could get sextant size fixes, half a mile. In good
weather, DR would get you within sight of the destination after 300
miles without a fix, once you had the wind figured.

Who remembers Consol and Consolan. You listened to a tone and got a
line of position. All you needed was a short wave radio. That **** is
long gone and nearly forgotten. I have not thought of either for
decades.

Set and drift? Why would you care, when there is no reason to know.
When you can just set the true course and keep the needle centered.
GPS gives you something to steer by, not a starting point for
calculation.. You center the needle and and go straight there. In a
fast powerboat speed and heading changes show up quickly. Did I
mention that it will display a speedometer.What it does is store fixes
and calculate the speed and course. It will show track on a lat long
grid.Assuming you have the features of a ten year old handheld.
I bought a handheld about ten years ago that did everything damn near.
If it could cook Id have married it. Could have a
compass dial. Did maps.Had a 3x3 screen with red lighting. Took 8 AA
or the lighter socket. While many electronics run on anything from 6
to 36, it is in fact, 12 V. Eats batteries. You could remove the tilt
adjustable antenna and use a remote cable. Eagle, the freshwater
fishfinder makers.

I get the impression you have never been near a GPS.

If all they did was lat long to sextant accuracy, they would still
sell.

Casady

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:36:43 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

I'd like print a couple of those and stick them on the
chart near Block Island and Hope Town.

I'll EMAIL the originals to you if you'd like. Let me know if you
have any size restrictions.

wrote:

I'd like print a couple of those and stick them on the
chart near Block Island and Hope Town.

I'll EMAIL the originals to you if you'd like. Let me know if you
have any size restrictions.

Thanks Wayne.

That's a kind offer, but for a small print, the ones on the net would do fine.

That first one of the surf rolling in on block Island would sure be nice to
frame! Send me that one?

As for restrictions? Probably, but 5 meg comes thru all the time.

Richard

jeff wrote:
we have had absolutely no desire to work since returning. Fortunately
all of our assets are in real estate and the stock market, so our future
is secure!

I guess that was intended as a 'sad but true' kind of epilog to the
adventure?

Thanks for sharing.

BrianW

Well the Grady is out of the running... Short Wave Sportfishing General 113 February 7th 08 01:32 AM
Running a business! Steve Leyland ASA 0 August 6th 06 06:14 AM
Running Bad 49drd Cruising 0 July 16th 06 11:53 PM
Running scared! Scott Vernon ASA 8 October 1st 04 02:35 AM
Running aground Gerard Weatherby ASA 0 June 26th 03 12:39 AM