Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike

Default Interlux Bottom Paint Question

I recently had Freedom Marina in Deerfield Beach, Florida do a new bottom
paint job on my boat. On the bottom, they claim to have used Interlux
antifouling paint on top of Primocoat primer and a sanded never painted
fiberglass bottom. The Volvo Duoprop outdrive was treated with Trilux spray
on Aerosol. Three weeks after the paint job I am getting small barnacles
growing on the bottom paint, props and outdrive. I used a brush to wipe
them off underwater and it leaves a small spot on the paint where each
barnacle was attached. On the outdrive, the brush basically rubs off the
paint.

This is my first boat and common sense tells me it is not normal for
barnacles to adhere so rapidly. I thought the copper in the paint (at least
for the first 6 months or so would eliminate the growth)? I store the boat
in the Intracoastal Waterway Lake Boca Raton near the Boca Inlet in South
Florida. I am considering bringing the boat back to the marina that did the
work as I question how many coats they did and if the outdrive was sanded
and primed properly before they applied the paint. On the outdrive it seems
like they just sprayed it and didn't prep the surface at all.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you can offer.
-Mike

Replacing bottom paint Mike Cruising 4 February 12th 04 02:28 AM
Wanting to remove bottom paint, need advise Mike General 6 September 20th 03 09:19 AM
white film on green bottom paint, running dditto General 1 August 18th 03 12:28 AM
Removing bottom paint... Rural Knight General 1 August 6th 03 02:03 AM