Default AIS Receiver Recommendations

I'm planning on getting a AIS receiver for my boat this season, I don't
need a display, just the data stream.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks
Martin

Martin,

I have a Milltech AIS receiver that streams data to the Cap'n on the laptop.
It is very nice to be able to see the data from the ships as to their course
and their destination. I remember one time that I made a tack different from
what I might have done just because I could see that the tanker coming down
the bay was going to turn east rather than west.

Only one additional thought. How about a Class B transceiver?

Check out this: http://www.milltechmarine.com/AIS-300.htm

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

In article , Martin Baxter
wrote:

I'm planning on getting a AIS receiver for my boat this season, I don't
need a display, just the data stream.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks
Martin

Any particular reason not to go to a transponder?
It will make sure you get seen ...
Simrad AI50 eg

HTH

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com

Marc Heusser wrote:
In article , Martin Baxter
wrote:

I'm planning on getting a AIS receiver for my boat this season, I don't
need a display, just the data stream.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks
Martin

Any particular reason not to go to a transponder?
It will make sure you get seen ...
Simrad AI50 eg

HTH

Marc

Imagine if every sport boat within 20 miles of you is squawking AIS.
What a jumble!
However, if I were offshore in the shipping lanes, I think it would
be good to squawk.
I'm using a Milltech 161 with Coastal Navigator and intend to get a
Watchmate for offshore (low power consumtion).
Gordon
WBH WBH is offline

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message

| I'm planning on getting a AIS receiver for my boat this season, I don't
| need a display, just the data stream.
|
| Anybody have any recommendations?
|
| Thanks
| Martin

Get a 2-channel one if you want to be able to see class B or a class B
transponder (which always has a 2-channel receiver). Good experience with
Smart Radio (Chinese made, sold by Miltech) and Comar (UK). Wout

Ansley W. Sawyer wrote:
Martin,

I have a Milltech AIS receiver that streams data to the Cap'n on the laptop.
It is very nice to be able to see the data from the ships as to their course
and their destination. I remember one time that I made a tack different from
what I might have done just because I could see that the tanker coming down
the bay was going to turn east rather than west.

Only one additional thought. How about a Class B transceiver?

Check out this: http://www.milltechmarine.com/AIS-300.htm

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Hmmm $1200 USD, plus MMI registration,,, not to likely, this year
anyway, I'd rather put the money toward a new main.

Cheers
Martin

Marc Heusser wrote:
In article , Martin Baxter
wrote:

I'm planning on getting a AIS receiver for my boat this season, I don't
need a display, just the data stream.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks
Martin

Any particular reason not to go to a transponder?
It will make sure you get seen ...
Simrad AI50 eg

If was going to be offshore single handed, sure, but for the kind of
sailing I do, mostly day trips, I can't really justify the expense.

Cheers
Martin
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----

Gordon wrote:
Marc Heusser wrote:
In article , Martin Baxter
wrote:

I'm planning on getting a AIS receiver for my boat this season, I
don't need a display, just the data stream.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks
Martin

Any particular reason not to go to a transponder?
It will make sure you get seen ...
Simrad AI50 eg

HTH

Marc

Imagine if every sport boat within 20 miles of you is squawking AIS.
What a jumble!
However, if I were offshore in the shipping lanes, I think it would be
good to squawk.
I'm using a Milltech 161 with Coastal Navigator and intend to get a
Watchmate for offshore (low power consumtion).
Gordon

That's the one I'm looking at, I think it should interface with SeaClear
II just fine.

Cheers
Martin
Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----
WBH WBH is offline

I might add that a single channel receiver can receive class B , but due to
the alternating transmission on 2 channels and the lower class B transmit
frequency, it can take a hell of a long time before you pick up a class B.
Not a good thing if you're on a collision course!

"WBH" wrote in message

| "Martin Baxter" wrote in message
| |
| | I'm planning on getting a AIS receiver for my boat this season, I don't
| | need a display, just the data stream.
| |
| | Anybody have any recommendations?
| |
| | Thanks
| | Martin
| |

| Get a 2-channel one if you want to be able to see class B or a class B
| transponder (which always has a 2-channel receiver). Good experience with
| Smart Radio (Chinese made, sold by Miltech) and Comar (UK). Wout

In article ,
Marc Heusser d
wrote:

Any particular reason not to go to a transponder?
It will make sure you get seen ...
Simrad AI50 eg

BTW I just noticed they now do a black box version too:

AIS receiver Daniele Fua Electronics 11 March 1st 07 10:27 AM
AIS receiver Gordon Electronics 8 March 15th 06 01:06 PM
El Cheapo GPS Receiver Lord Reginald Smithers General 0 December 11th 05 05:49 PM
New Low Cost AIS Receiver Pascal Electronics 3 June 23rd 05 07:03 AM
Receiver sensitivity beryl george Electronics 10 December 6th 04 06:47 PM