Default AIS Receiver Recommendations

* I'm using a Milltech 161 with Coastal Navigator and intend to get a
Watchmate for offshore (low power consumtion).
*Gordon

That's the one I'm looking at, I think it should interface with SeaClear
II just fine.

I used the 161 and SeaClear II going down the CA coast. Worked very
nicely. I've also got a Watchmate and it is very cool there is a new
upgrade (free) that gives it a graphical display and plots aspect at
CPA. I have upgraded but have not used the new display as sea yet.
Good stuff! I might go with the 162 if I were to do it again.

--Tom.

"Ansley W. Sawyer" wrote in message
Martin,

I have a Milltech AIS receiver that streams data to the Cap'n on the
laptop. It is very nice to be able to see the data from the ships as to
their course and their destination. I remember one time that I made a tack
different from what I might have done just because I could see that the
tanker coming down the bay was going to turn east rather than west.

Only one additional thought. How about a Class B transceiver?

Check out this: http://www.milltechmarine.com/AIS-300.htm

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

I believe Larry had good things to say about this one. Seems like a good
unit, but I don't have any direct experience... yet.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Ansley W. Sawyer wrote:
Martin,

I have a Milltech AIS receiver that streams data to the Cap'n on the
laptop. It is very nice to be able to see the data from the ships as to
their course and their destination. I remember one time that I made a
tack different from what I might have done just because I could see that
the tanker coming down the bay was going to turn east rather than west.

Only one additional thought. How about a Class B transceiver?

Check out this: http://www.milltechmarine.com/AIS-300.htm

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Hmmm $1200 USD, plus MMI registration,,, not to likely, this year anyway,
I'd rather put the money toward a new main.

Cheers
Martin

I think they have something for under $200?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

AIS receiver Daniele Fua Electronics 11 March 1st 07 10:27 AM
AIS receiver Gordon Electronics 8 March 15th 06 01:06 PM
El Cheapo GPS Receiver Lord Reginald Smithers General 0 December 11th 05 05:49 PM
New Low Cost AIS Receiver Pascal Electronics 3 June 23rd 05 07:03 AM
Receiver sensitivity beryl george Electronics 10 December 6th 04 06:47 PM