rhys

Default Protecting a musical intrument from moisture

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:55:52 -0500, "Karin Conover-Lewis"
wrote:

Most wooden instruments fair best with relative humidity between 40 and 60%,
preferably as stable as possible at some level within that range. 50% is a
good level to shoot for, and one will use small sponge humidifiers or
desiccant pouches as needed to maintain that humidity. Planet Waves makes a
very good combination thermometer/hygrometer for instrument cases, and they
also have a good sponge humidifier which fits acoustic guitars. Very
fine-celled foam rubber sponge in a perforated baggie inside the case, kept
damp but not dripping, can serve just as well in most instances when
humidity needs to be increased. Desiccant sachets in the instrument case
serve the same purpose in reverse. The key is to keep an eye on it and
adjust as necessary.

I use the Planet Waves product on my Larrivee acoustic (pricy) and can
recommend it. I have a Speedtech recording barometer with humidity
reading I take off the boat when on the hard (winter) and judge how
often to refill the humidifier by that.

Of course, on board, usually TOO MUCH humidity is the issue. Cat
litter is a good dessicant, so I am told, but silica gel is probably
better and less dusty when packed in porous plasticized cloth.

I believe these packets can be dried in a low (150 F) oven or in a
microwave to "discharge" them of moisture.

R.

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:10:24 -0400, something compelled rhys
, to say:

I use the Planet Waves product on my Larrivee acoustic (pricy) and can
recommend it.

You take your Larrivee out on the boat?

I decided that the best protection for my Breedlove was the
purchase of a Takamine.
Steven Shelikoff

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:16:41 -0700, "Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam"
wrote:

I decided that the best protection for my Breedlove was the
purchase of a Takamine.

You have a Breedlove? How do you like the JLD bridge system? I have an
Alverez 12-string (not the best I know, but I love the different tone
from the cedar) that started to develop a warped top and was thinking of
going to the JLD. I fixed it without doing that but now, just to help
prevent it from warping too quickly again, I only tune it to Eb. With
the JLD I can probably keep it in E but I'm worried about the tone.

Steve
Karin Conover-Lewis

My Charvel 625c lived with me on my first boat for four years (kept in its
hard-shell case), and it never suffered a bit. But I would have to think
long and hard before taking my Everett aboard for more than a day or two,
and even then wouldn't as long as I have my Charvel. The heat and humidity
aboard vary entirely too much for hand-made, solid wood guitars, IMO. Martin
has a couple of Jimmy Buffet models which are intended to be boatable, but
I've not tried one yet.

I think the original post was about a wooden shell snare drum, though, which
I think would be much more forgiving of the boat environment, with attention
being paid to keeping it within the acceptable rh range.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:10:24 -0400, something compelled rhys
, to say:

I use the Planet Waves product on my Larrivee acoustic (pricy) and can
recommend it.

You take your Larrivee out on the boat?

I decided that the best protection for my Breedlove was the
purchase of a Takamine.

rhys

wrote:

You take your Larrivee out on the boat?

Hell, no. I just got it and am still in the "worshipful mode" stage.
It's the best guitar I've ever PLAYED, never mind owned.

It's only been to one jam session. A buddy has a 1975 Martin C-16 and
they are pretty well par in quality, even though they are quite
different (and different sounding) guitars. Most guys have Gibsons,
Epiphones and Yamahahas in my jam session.

I decided that the best protection for my Breedlove was the
purchase of a Takamine.

Now, it's funny you should say that. I have a Takamine CP-135 with
electric pickup. It's pretty basic and it has a classical neck, so
it's not a great "strumming" guitar. But it's loud and compact, and
THAT'S what I take to the boat.

Now, my bodhran goes in the Zodiac in a sealed garbage bag, but
there's usually a bonfire on the beach to dry that out G

The pennywhistles and recorders and ocarinas seem unaffected by
humidity. Harmonicas can suffer if not kept dry.

R.

Frank Wiewandt

I decided that the best protection for my Breedlove was the
purchase of a Takamine.

Yep. I used to take my Martin with me but eventually bought a Baby Taylor as
my "Travel" guitar. My biggest problem with my D-18 though, was space. I can
fit the Baby Taylor in the storage areas under the seats in my small
cruising sailboat. I couldn't stash the Martin anywhere so it was always
secured somehow in the V Birth when we were underway.

I know of another sailor who replaced his guitar with a mandolin for use on
his boat. Not a bad thought, IMO.

Good luck with the drums! Sounds like a great gig. ;-)

Frank Wiewandt

beldar

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

You have a Breedlove? How do you like the JLD bridge system? I have an
Alverez 12-string (not the best I know, but I love the different tone
from the cedar)

Just my $0.02, but I just love cedar topped guitars. I've got an 11
year old Washburn that I take aboard that just SHOUTS when I ask it to,
but it's got such a sweet voice :-) No probs yet with warpage.