rhys

Default Protecting a musical intrument from moisture

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:55:52 -0500, "Karin Conover-Lewis"
wrote:

Most wooden instruments fair best with relative humidity between 40 and 60%,
preferably as stable as possible at some level within that range. 50% is a
good level to shoot for, and one will use small sponge humidifiers or
desiccant pouches as needed to maintain that humidity. Planet Waves makes a
very good combination thermometer/hygrometer for instrument cases, and they
also have a good sponge humidifier which fits acoustic guitars. Very
fine-celled foam rubber sponge in a perforated baggie inside the case, kept
damp but not dripping, can serve just as well in most instances when
humidity needs to be increased. Desiccant sachets in the instrument case
serve the same purpose in reverse. The key is to keep an eye on it and
adjust as necessary.

I use the Planet Waves product on my Larrivee acoustic (pricy) and can
recommend it. I have a Speedtech recording barometer with humidity
reading I take off the boat when on the hard (winter) and judge how
often to refill the humidifier by that.

Of course, on board, usually TOO MUCH humidity is the issue. Cat
litter is a good dessicant, so I am told, but silica gel is probably
better and less dusty when packed in porous plasticized cloth.

I believe these packets can be dried in a low (150 F) oven or in a
microwave to "discharge" them of moisture.

R.