BoatBanter.com

-   -   Message to the Moderator (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/101581-message-moderator.html)

Larry January 18th 09 04:10 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

I think you're a loon. No one that I recall ever said that "jew" was a
hurtful word.

Then why do you all get SO upset whenever someone SAYS IT IN PUBLIC?

Rahm Emanuel. "He's a Jew."

Man that just makes 'em go CRAZY!

Marty[_2_] January 18th 09 04:14 AM

Message to the Moderator

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
?? Never said waiter was. Did someone else? I'm not sure what anything has
to do with what a group calls themselves vs. what others call them when
attempting to lump them into some less than human way, but feel free to
explain. If you want to call yourself a Scottish American, go for it. As
far as wasp goes, you probably don't want to use that term around the
rich, white anglosaxon protestants at the local cpuntry club, not if you
want to have any company on the patio anyway.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Some years ago there was a push to get away from using the words "waiter"
and "waitress," presumedly because "waitress" was considered sexist. So we
instead got terms like "wait staff," "servers," and the rarely-used but
still funny, "waitron."

Like "Stewardess"? Now it has to be "Flight Attendant", which sounds
to me more like the guy in charge of the plane and attending to matters
flight related rather than my gastronomic needs .... sheesh it's getting
stupid.

Cheers
Martin

Bruce In Bangkok January 18th 09 04:15 AM

Message to the Moderator

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:21:32 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
You mean that "waiter" is somehow derogatory? I can't believe that it
is. In my collage days I worked parking cars at a Miami Beach night
club. there were a lot of waiters working there and they used to call
themselves "waiters".

By the way, the "Indians" don't call themselves "Native Americans" in
their own language, why should the rest of us?

And if "Native American" is correct why isn't "Scottish American"
correct in mine? And can I sue anyone that refers to me as a WASP?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I was born in America. This makes me a "Native American" as far as I'm
concerned. If that offends anyone, they can take it up with the Great
Spirit.

Yes, most of us are "Native Americans" when you get right down to
brass tacks. In fact the "Native Americans" that people refer to
really weren't the original "Americans" they are as much
Johnny-Come-Lately's as we are and since they gained their position by
slaughtering the previous inhabitants, and in some cases, probably
eating them, I wonder why are we condemned for doing the same to them?

Bruce In Bangkok January 18th 09 04:29 AM

Message to the Moderator

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:31:55 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
reasolutions...

?? Never said waiter was. Did someone else? I'm not sure what anything has
to do with what a group calls themselves vs. what others call them when
attempting to lump them into some less than human way, but feel free to
explain. If you want to call yourself a Scottish American, go for it. As
far as wasp goes, you probably don't want to use that term around the
rich, white anglosaxon protestants at the local cpuntry club, not if you
want to have any company on the patio anyway.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Some years ago there was a push to get away from using the words "waiter"
and "waitress," presumedly because "waitress" was considered sexist. So we
instead got terms like "wait staff," "servers," and the rarely-used but
still funny, "waitron."

Another pf my pet peeves. What is sexist about being a woman? After
all they can do things that men can't and men can't do anything that a
woman can't.

If anything it is the men who ought to be complaining about
discrimination.

Capt. JG January 18th 09 07:38 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

I think you're a loon. No one that I recall ever said that "jew" was a
hurtful word.

Then why do you all get SO upset whenever someone SAYS IT IN PUBLIC?

Rahm Emanuel. "He's a Jew."

Man that just makes 'em go CRAZY!

Says what? Oh, you mean that Hitler didn't finish the job. Yes, that's
upsetting.

How come you get so upset when someone calls you a racist?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG January 18th 09 07:39 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Marty" wrote in message
KLC Lewis wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
[...]

My mom used to call the male flight attendants "stews," which I thought was
pretty funny.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce In Bangkok January 18th 09 12:30 PM

Message to the Moderator

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 04:10:40 +0000, Larry wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in
reasolutions:

I think you're a loon. No one that I recall ever said that "jew" was a
hurtful word.

Then why do you all get SO upset whenever someone SAYS IT IN PUBLIC?

Rahm Emanuel. "He's a Jew."

Man that just makes 'em go CRAZY!

Funny in a sort of perverse way.

I had a close friend who was Jewish. Actually, to use his words a
"cultural Jew" as his mother was not Jewish,
But anyway, he used the word "Jew" to indicate individuals who were
members of the Jewish religion, and Israeli to refer to individuals
who were citizens of the state of Israel. He once said to me
"Israelis are Jews but Jews are not necessarily Israelis".

If my old mate could call people Jews then I reckon I can too.

KLC Lewis January 18th 09 03:39 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
You mean that "waiter" is somehow derogatory? I can't believe that it
is. In my collage days I worked parking cars at a Miami Beach night
club. there were a lot of waiters working there and they used to call
themselves "waiters".

By the way, the "Indians" don't call themselves "Native Americans" in
their own language, why should the rest of us?

And if "Native American" is correct why isn't "Scottish American"
correct in mine? And can I sue anyone that refers to me as a WASP?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I was born in America. This makes me a "Native American" as far as I'm
concerned. If that offends anyone, they can take it up with the Great
Spirit.

Were you born in Canada, Mexicon, the US, or in Central or South America?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

As everyone worth anything knows, there is only one "America." The others
aren't even worth mentioning. ;-)

KLC Lewis January 18th 09 03:46 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Marty" wrote in message
"Server" is a derogatory term implying indenture, to wit "servitude", or
slavery if you will; they must here after be referred to as "gustatory
assistants"

Cheers
Martin

Hmmm. This would imply that we are in need of assistance, which would make
restaurant patrons the "gustatorily challenged." Please don't get any of
that on my bib.

KLC Lewis January 18th 09 03:49 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
Another pf my pet peeves. What is sexist about being a woman? After
all they can do things that men can't and men can't do anything that a
woman can't.

If anything it is the men who ought to be complaining about
discrimination.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)