BoatBanter.com

-   -   Message to the Moderator (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/101581-message-moderator.html)

DoctorD January 14th 09 08:45 AM

Message to the Moderator

This post is to the Moderator (if we still have one).

I find Larry's antisemitic posts offensive; at least in the confines
of this group Not for their antisemitism but because they are off-
topic.

While I strongly disagree with his diatribes, I do "defend to the
death" his right to to free speech . . . just not on this forum.

I hope most will agree with me that that this group is supposed to be
about sailing-related concerns. I'm fairly certain Larry can find many
other groups online that will wholeheartedly agree with what he is
spouting. The are also many other groups that will totally disagree
and that will even better serve his misplaced opinions . . . getting a
rise in their bile as a reaction.

As for me, I believe that this non-sailing topic has run its
unfortunate course and I hope that in the future it will be curtailed
(forceably if necessary) so that we all can get back to the topic for
which we were originally attracted to this group.

Just my opinion. Hope someone agrees and ends this.

Gregg Dennhardt

Capt. JG January 14th 09 08:51 AM

Message to the Moderator

"DoctorD" wrote in message
[...]

Gregg, there's no moderator. It's up to the individual not to respond...
guilty as charged though, and I'll try and refrain.

I agree with your statements however.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] January 14th 09 05:01 PM

Message to the Moderator

"DoctorD" wrote in message
[...]

Duh, if you don't want to read Larry's usual drivel just don't open his
posts. Or, if it upsets you seeing his topics, use your killfile. Problem
solved. Why the attempt at censorship?

Wilbur checks out your headers
AOL and Google Groups - oh, never mind. This explains your stupidity.

Wilbur Hubbard

Larry January 14th 09 07:12 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in news:496e1a84
:

Why the attempt at censorship

The tactic to stifle any mention of "Jew" or "Israel" in a bad light
must ALWAYS be fought to the death. I forget which Talmud section I saw
that in but it's there, in between the parts that say they are supposed
to kill us all who disagree with everything they say or do to us.

Your congressman is so afraid to even mention anything negative because
of this constant pressure, there is never any debate about Israel or
Jews in either house of the government, for fear of retaliation, not to
mention the loss of the bribes and AIPAC funds to get re-elected.

It's why we send them $15M per DAY, no questions asked.

They censor our TV, magazines, newspapers, movies, media, thought and
government. They own and control them all.....

Someone posted a URL to an old Walter Lantz cartoon, the guy who drew
Woody Woodpecker, that made black people all look like monkeys. The
propaganda from them is much more subtle, today, than it was then trying
to divide the USA with racial hatred.

Notice how none of the black people live in THEIR neighborhoods.....or
go to their schools.....

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] January 14th 09 07:19 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:39:46 +0000, Gordon said:

LOL

Exactly. Some people seem to run around all day with nothing to do but
seek
out things to be offended by.

I'm offended by people who end a sentence with a preposition.

Here, Dave, allow me to show you how an educated person writes the sentence
you butchered.

"Some people seem to run around all day with nothing to do but seek
out things about which to be offended."

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard

KLC Lewis January 14th 09 07:20 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

You've never met a black jew, Larry? You need to get out more.

katy January 14th 09 07:45 PM

Message to the Moderator

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Sammy Davis Jr ws a Jew....

Capt. JG January 14th 09 08:47 PM

Message to the Moderator

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

I met Sammy Davis, Jr. :)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

pirate January 14th 09 11:26 PM

Message to the Moderator

didn't someone post a while back that Wilbur is a Jew? If that is
true, that raises him up a notch in my book. If it's not true, well,
I understand.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] January 14th 09 11:34 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:19:34 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

I'm offended by people who end a sentence with a preposition.

"That is a proposition up with which I will not put."

Winston Churchill

I realize old Wilson was being facetious but there is a far better way to
express it: "I will not abide that proposition."

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard
Ph.D.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] January 15th 09 12:03 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:34:38 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

. ..
said:

I'm offended by people who end a sentence with a preposition.

"That is a proposition up with which I will not put."

Winston Churchill

I realize old Wilson was being facetious but there is a far better way to
express it: "I will not abide that proposition."

I hope this helps.

Yes. It demonstrates in spades that Winston [Wilson???] had, and I have,
far
better ears than you for the language.

Not to mention at least some sense of humor.

Oops! I must have been subconsciously been thinking of his Auntie.

Ofttimes a sense of humor goes a long way towards masking a lack of
knowledge.

Wilbur Hubbard

Capt. JG January 15th 09 02:45 AM

Message to the Moderator

"pirate" wrote in message
didn't someone post a while back that Wilbur is a Jew? If that is
true, that raises him up a notch in my book. If it's not true, well,
I understand.

Not likely. He's been a racist for the yrs he's been on Usenet.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

jlrogers±³©[_2_] January 15th 09 03:16 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"pirate" wrote in message
didn't someone post a while back that Wilbur is a Jew? If that is
true, that raises him up a notch in my book. If it's not true, well,
I understand.

Not likely. He's been a racist for the yrs he's been on Usenet.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Don't look now, but that is and of itself is a racist remark.

jlrogers±³©[_2_] January 15th 09 03:19 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

said:

I'm offended by people who end a sentence with a preposition.

"That is a proposition up with which I will not put."

Winston Churchill

I realize old Wilson was being facetious but there is a far better way to
express it: "I will not abide that proposition."

I hope this helps.

Yes. It demonstrates in spades that Winston [Wilson???] had, and I have,
far
better ears than you for the language.

Not to mention at least some sense of humor.

Oops! I must have been subconsciously been thinking of his Auntie.

Ofttimes a sense of humor goes a long way towards masking a lack of
knowledge.

Wilbur Hubbard
Au contraire, a sense of humor most always reveals an insight into
knowledge.

Capt. JG January 15th 09 04:22 AM

Message to the Moderator

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"pirate" wrote in message
didn't someone post a while back that Wilbur is a Jew? If that is
true, that raises him up a notch in my book. If it's not true, well,
I understand.

Not likely. He's been a racist for the yrs he's been on Usenet.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Don't look now, but that is and of itself is a racist remark.

Really? How so? I'm not putting him a racial class, although I'd suggest 3rd
grade... again.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Larry January 15th 09 10:15 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

Really? How so? I'm not putting him a racial class, although I'd
suggest 3rd grade... again.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Go look up Goyim in your dictionary.

Capt. JG January 15th 09 10:33 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

Really? How so? I'm not putting him a racial class, although I'd
suggest 3rd grade... again.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Go look up Goyim in your dictionary.

Why? I never used that term. Go look up Hitler in your dictionary.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Larry January 16th 09 03:46 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

Really? How so? I'm not putting him a racial class, although I'd
suggest 3rd grade... again.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Go look up Goyim in your dictionary.

Why? I never used that term. Go look up Hitler in your dictionary.

And, I suppose, you never hear that term from any Jews, right?\

Capt. JG January 16th 09 04:16 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

Really? How so? I'm not putting him a racial class, although I'd
suggest 3rd grade... again.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Go look up Goyim in your dictionary.

Why? I never used that term. Go look up Hitler in your dictionary.

And, I suppose, you never hear that term from any Jews, right?\

Sure. So, what's your point? Because one person uses a term, all people of
that ethnic background are guilty? What about the Christian who uses it of
himself when around Jewish friends. Would he be a racist of his own race? I
think you're grasping at straws.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce In Bangkok January 16th 09 12:20 PM

Message to the Moderator

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 03:46:02 +0000, Larry wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in
reasolutions:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

Really? How so? I'm not putting him a racial class, although I'd
suggest 3rd grade... again.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Go look up Goyim in your dictionary.

Why? I never used that term. Go look up Hitler in your dictionary.

And, I suppose, you never hear that term from any Jews, right?\

Heck, I was even referred to as a Righteous Goyem one time....Gave a
guy a ride to Temple one rainy day.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce In Bangkok January 16th 09 12:34 PM

Message to the Moderator

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:16:22 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
.. .
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

Really? How so? I'm not putting him a racial class, although I'd
suggest 3rd grade... again.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Go look up Goyim in your dictionary.

Why? I never used that term. Go look up Hitler in your dictionary.

And, I suppose, you never hear that term from any Jews, right?\

Sure. So, what's your point? Because one person uses a term, all people of
that ethnic background are guilty? What about the Christian who uses it of
himself when around Jewish friends. Would he be a racist of his own race? I
think you're grasping at straws.

Actually Larry is correct, most societies have words which may be less
then complementary to describe people from outside the society. I have
been called a Yankee in Georgia and they didn't mean a guy from New
England, the Chinese have some interesting terms Quialo or Angmo,
"Foreign Devil" or "Red Haired Devil". You are a Farang or Farangi in
many Asian countries and in Indonesia to be called a "Orang Blanda" or
"blond headed person" was actually dangerous at one time as the term
originally meant Dutchman and was enough to get you mobbed in some
areas.

The fact is that these terms are openly and commonly used to describe
a foreigner in most countries. In fact, about the only place I have
been where it was politically incorrect to call a spade a spade was
the good old USA.

Edgar January 16th 09 01:27 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
Actually Larry is correct, most societies have words which may be less
then complementary to describe people from outside the society. I have
been called a Yankee in Georgia and they didn't mean a guy from New
England, the Chinese have some interesting terms Quialo or Angmo,
"Foreign Devil" or "Red Haired Devil". You are a Farang or Farangi in
many Asian countries and in Indonesia to be called a "Orang Blanda" or
"blond headed person" was actually dangerous at one time as the term
originally meant Dutchman and was enough to get you mobbed in some
areas.

The fact is that these terms are openly and commonly used to describe
a foreigner in most countries. In fact, about the only place I have
been where it was politically incorrect to call a spade a spade was
the good old USA.

There has been the most ridiculous fuss in UK during the last few days
because a bit of video has just emerged which shows Prince Harry (three
years ago!) referring to a friend of his as a 'Paki' instead of using the
full term Pakistani. Every PC source in UK from the government down has
described this as 'totally unacceptable'. They forced Harry to apologise and
even then the guy's father said he was still outraged by the use of that
'hate word'. The row lasted several days.
I do not riot when the Aussies call me a 'Pom' (never yet been acused of
being a 'whinging pom' though so they had better be careful). Nor do Irish
and Scots riot over 'Paddy' and 'Jock'.
I am fed up with all this PC nonsense which has permeated our whole society.
If they think the general public in UK will use a long word like 'Pakistani'
when a four-letter one will suffice they are making a big mistake.

Larry January 16th 09 01:28 PM

Message to the Moderator

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

Heck, I was even referred to as a Righteous Goyem one time....Gave a
guy a ride to Temple one rainy day.

Goyim, like any pack animal, can be used by Jews. It says that in a lot of
places in the Talmud, too. You were fulfilling your destiny....

Jeff January 16th 09 02:07 PM

Message to the Moderator

Capt. JG wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

Really? How so? I'm not putting him a racial class, although I'd
suggest 3rd grade... again.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Go look up Goyim in your dictionary.

Why? I never used that term. Go look up Hitler in your dictionary.

And, I suppose, you never hear that term from any Jews, right?\

Sure. So, what's your point? Because one person uses a term, all people of
that ethnic background are guilty? What about the Christian who uses it of
himself when around Jewish friends. Would he be a racist of his own race? I
think you're grasping at straws.

Is Larry so deluded that he thinks "goyim" is inherently racist? It
means "nations" (plural of "goy," which is nation in Hebrew) and is used
many times in the Bible to refer to Israel or Judah, or the "Nation of
Jews." It also means "nationals" or "citizens," and since Jews were
denied citizenship in almost every country until about 200 years ago, it
came to imply the local citizenry, or in general, non-Jews. There is no
inherent negative connotation in the Hebrew or Yiddish usage, it is
essentially the Yiddish word for "Gentile."

However, like any ethnic descriptor, it can be used in a negative way,
much like Whites using the term "Black," (or Blacks using White) can be
pejorative or neutral or positive, depending on the context.
Admittedly, in the US, the usage is often assumed to be somewhat
negative because the use of a Yiddish word in an English sentence has
special emphasis.

I've almost never heard it used in a context that I considered overtly
racist, more often I heard it in the "us versus them" usage, such as
"That yacht club is for the Goyim." Given that the yacht club probably
excluded Jews (or did in the past) its hard to call that racist.

BTW, the word "Goy" is not commonly used in modern Hebrew in Israel;
they use different words to describe non-Jews and foreigners.

KLC Lewis January 16th 09 03:24 PM

Message to the Moderator

"jeff" wrote in message
Don't hold back Larry, tell us what you really think.

Ya, that Larry fella is one opinionated cracker.

Gwen Ives January 16th 09 03:31 PM

Message to the Moderator

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"jeff" wrote in message
Don't hold back Larry, tell us what you really think.

Ya, that Larry fella is one opinionated cracker.

Peculiar way to spell, "ASSHOLE"

Cheers,
Gwen Ives

Capt. JG January 16th 09 07:27 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:16:22 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

[...]

Correct about what? He asked if I ever heard the word goyim from a jew. I
said that just because one person says it that doesn't qualify as all people
from the same group as being racist. Larry is not correct, and his attempt
to use race-baiting language to support an argument is disgusting.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG January 16th 09 07:31 PM

Message to the Moderator

"jeff" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

[...]

I have heard it used in a pejorative way, but come to think of it not as a
racist term. In any case, one person using it doesn't condemn a whole group
of the same ethnic background.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG January 16th 09 07:32 PM

Message to the Moderator

"Larry" wrote in message
Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

Heck, I was even referred to as a Righteous Goyem one time....Gave a
guy a ride to Temple one rainy day.

Goyim, like any pack animal, can be used by Jews. It says that in a lot
of
places in the Talmud, too. You were fulfilling your destiny....

Just like Hitler right? Tell us again, about how Hitler didn't finish the
job....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce In Bangkok January 17th 09 07:42 AM

Message to the Moderator

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:27:25 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:16:22 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

[...]

I'm confused so I looked in the wiki:

In modern Hebrew and Yiddish the word goy is the standard term for a
gentile....

In Yiddish, it is the only proper term for Gentile and many bilingual
English and Yiddish speakers use it dispassionately.

The term shabbos goy refers to a non-Jew who performs duties that
Jewish law forbids a Jew from performing on the Sabbath; typically,
lighting a fire to warm a house.

So Goyim is a derogatory term already?

Larry January 18th 09 12:19 AM

Message to the Moderator

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

what do we
call a person who paints houses; a person who welds metal; a person
who milks a cow; or a bloke that catches fish?

Poor....(c;]

Larry January 18th 09 12:36 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Capt. JG" wrote in
ions:

This seems to imply that the meaning of words don't change over time
and across societies. They do. Thus, using a word in the 1800s might
be fine, but using the same word in the 21st century could easily be
wrong and hurtful. Equating the use of the word waiter to the N word
isn't really a valid comparison. If anyone thinks it is, then they're
being disingenious to make a point or they're just plain dumb.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Is "Jew" one of those hurtful words since the infiltration of the US
Government? Why does that always result in an attack, no matter how you
say it?

Capt. JG January 18th 09 01:17 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
ions:

This seems to imply that the meaning of words don't change over time
and across societies. They do. Thus, using a word in the 1800s might
be fine, but using the same word in the 21st century could easily be
wrong and hurtful. Equating the use of the word waiter to the N word
isn't really a valid comparison. If anyone thinks it is, then they're
being disingenious to make a point or they're just plain dumb.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Is "Jew" one of those hurtful words since the infiltration of the US
Government? Why does that always result in an attack, no matter how you
say it?

I think you're a loon. No one that I recall ever said that "jew" was a
hurtful word.

You believe that conspiracies are everywhere, apparently.

I'm just wondering what the hell happened to you for you to be so hateful
toward an entire race.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bruce In Bangkok January 18th 09 01:19 AM

Message to the Moderator

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 00:19:26 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

what do we
call a person who paints houses; a person who welds metal; a person
who milks a cow; or a bloke that catches fish?

Poor....(c;]

True, but I'm not sure that some people want to be called 'po'boy'.

On another group there is a poster who seems to have no formal, or on
the job training, other then his native shrewdness, and he is billing
$65.00/hour for doing general factory repairs and modifications.
running electrical wires, connecting machines, etc.

For those who are not "adders" that is %520 a day. Not bad for a
country boy, so I'm not sure how poor some of these "doers" are.

KLC Lewis January 18th 09 01:21 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
You mean that "waiter" is somehow derogatory? I can't believe that it
is. In my collage days I worked parking cars at a Miami Beach night
club. there were a lot of waiters working there and they used to call
themselves "waiters".

By the way, the "Indians" don't call themselves "Native Americans" in
their own language, why should the rest of us?

And if "Native American" is correct why isn't "Scottish American"
correct in mine? And can I sue anyone that refers to me as a WASP?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I was born in America. This makes me a "Native American" as far as I'm
concerned. If that offends anyone, they can take it up with the Great
Spirit.

KLC Lewis January 18th 09 01:31 AM

Message to the Moderator

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

?? Never said waiter was. Did someone else? I'm not sure what anything has
to do with what a group calls themselves vs. what others call them when
attempting to lump them into some less than human way, but feel free to
explain. If you want to call yourself a Scottish American, go for it. As
far as wasp goes, you probably don't want to use that term around the
rich, white anglosaxon protestants at the local cpuntry club, not if you
want to have any company on the patio anyway.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Some years ago there was a push to get away from using the words "waiter"
and "waitress," presumedly because "waitress" was considered sexist. So we
instead got terms like "wait staff," "servers," and the rarely-used but
still funny, "waitron."

Capt. JG January 18th 09 03:21 AM

Message to the Moderator

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
You mean that "waiter" is somehow derogatory? I can't believe that it
is. In my collage days I worked parking cars at a Miami Beach night
club. there were a lot of waiters working there and they used to call
themselves "waiters".

By the way, the "Indians" don't call themselves "Native Americans" in
their own language, why should the rest of us?

And if "Native American" is correct why isn't "Scottish American"
correct in mine? And can I sue anyone that refers to me as a WASP?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I was born in America. This makes me a "Native American" as far as I'm
concerned. If that offends anyone, they can take it up with the Great
Spirit.

Were you born in Canada, Mexicon, the US, or in Central or South America?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG January 18th 09 03:22 AM

Message to the Moderator

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
[...]

I always call them wait person. Hey wait person, where's my f*ckin eggs?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Larry January 18th 09 04:08 AM

Message to the Moderator

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

$65.00/hour for doing general factory repairs

Organ service is $129, which includes up to 2 hours labor and 25 miles
total on the truck. After that minimum charge, which keeps me from arguing
with the customer over a 10 minute job figuring out he had it plugged into
a light dimmer and THAT was making the LOUD HUM on it, my rates are $70/hr
and 70c/mile. From the comments I get from manufacturers wanting me to go
do warranty work for them, I'm way lower than the big cities. It's been a
comfortable living since 1986, full time since 1988.

If I'm off on Tuesday, I spend my time day trading stocks on
crashing/crashed companies, much on the pink sheets. I bought Worldcom
(MCI) the bankrupt communications company at 6c/share and chickened out at
22c/share, trying not to cry when it finally got to 32c/share before going
to Zero for the last time. I saved a copy of the stock certificate they
were forced to send me for 180,000 shares....(c;] Recently, I bought
Wachovia at $1.94 when they went bankrupt and sold them for $6.48 after
Wells Fargo, also now in financial trouble, bought the company for
$7/share. I dumped the stock because I didn't want to get stuck with a
falling Wells Fargo stock trade scheme that dropped after the deal. It was
the right thing to do.

No, I don't want to buy Ford or GM, thank you......

My biggest regret, in hindsight, was I didn't see any future in Micro$oft
stock back when the company looked like this:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/.../microsoft.jpg
Look at them! Who the hell's gonna buy software from THEM?!

That picture's on the wall as a reminder of how stupid I can be.....at very
rare times.