Bob Bob is offline

Default Do u have what it takes to be a real mariner?

I was talking to a guy about 58 years old who was an AB on a Chevron
tanker. We were talking about boat jobs and he described a great
program the Sefarers International Union (SIU) had for new mariners.

If you think you want to be a real sailor and not some fat ****
sailboat guy ****ing about willburs grammer get a life and check out
SIU UnLicensed Apprentance program.

http://www.seafarers.org/jobs/uafaq.xml

Basically after $1500 tuition and a seven month school at Pinney
Point, MD you walk out a union AB with a "B" seniority book. WIth A-B-
C-D books, D Book the least seniority, that means youre next to the
top in seniority and get to sail when ever ya want. Its really an
unbelivable opportunity.

Oh, now I can hear all the "ya butters." "I would but.... or I could
but....." The guy I was talking to said he new of a guy SEVENTY years
old who just completed the 7 month program and was sailing (that means
working on unlimited ships as an AB, not typing about sailboats here)

So quit your whinning and give up your looser RBC life and get a real
job on a real boat with real mariners. If a 70 year old guy can do it
at least a few of you recreational yacher types can do it. Besides I
hear at least a few of you white, fat, 60 yo geezers have the back of
a 30 year old...........

If not please pass this information to anyone who wants to better
their life and career.

Bob

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:15:51 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

[...]

That looks like a sweet program for those who fit in it.
Probably a good idea to go to the hall you'll sail from and check out
the jobs available.
I got a CG Watertender license back in the early '70's (Navy
experience and passing the CG test) and when I got to the SIU hall in
NYC there was no work for me. Even the "A" seniority guys were
waiting weeks to get a berth.
Ended up back in Chicago doing vacation fill-ins on the lakes.

--Vic
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

[...]

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Ya Vic I was wondering about job availibilty too.

I keep a pretty close lookout on the marine transportion stocks and
most the deep sea carriers are down 20%-30% which means fewer sailing
jobs. The sweet part about the SIU apprentiship, or at least the way i
understand it is, part of the program is the union promises the new
"grads" 360 days after finishing the program.

But your are right about slim pickin in the 70s. I think times have
improved dramatically since then. The US transportation dept or
some .gov agency along with a few industry associations conducted a
maritme manning survey released last summer. The study painted a doom
and gloom man shortage for both US deep sea and brownwater companies.
Just cant get people to go sailing anymore. Christ, if a 70 year old
got a bunk Id say shipping has really got to be in a hurt!

Do you think Wilbur would sign up or would it take him away from his
current crusing life?

Hope your new year is going well Vic!
Bob

wrote:

[...]

Vic.........
I forgot to ask. So were you of those unlimited laker guys?
Id think that would have to be a real "who ya know" group to break
into.
BOb

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:16:44 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

Vic.........
I forgot to ask. So were you of those unlimited laker guys?
Id think that would have to be a real "who ya know" group to break
into.

Don't know what "unlimited" is. Only did it one summer.
Maybe a month on the Illinois (Standard Oil Whiting IN) and a couple
few week trips on the Rocket (Cleveland Tankers - Ashland Oil Toledo
OH)
Quit more because I liked seeing girls than anything else. Pay was
okay and the chow was REALLY good. But you were hitting ports all
over the lakes with a quick turnaround when tied up. You could pump
in/out in 12-16 hours, and you were back out again. Couldn't even get
a drunk on with that. No way I'd work if not sharp, so it was hard to
even enjoy more than a couple beers. I had enough whoring in the Navy
and never went for bar floozies in the States.
So after coming back from one trip I just got a shore job.
Ended up with a good wife too.
But I think I know what you're talking about with the "who ya know."
I went to a couple halls first. There was a National Maritime Union
hall in Chicago then, beside the Seafarers.
Think the guys told me if I didn't have the Navy experience I would
have to get "sponsored" by a ship company to get the CG license.
I just went to the CG with my DD214 and took the Watertender test.
Watertender is a step up from Wiper, where you'd start if you didn't
have any experience. Maybe a 2-4 year jump. Didn't do anything for
seniority though, so I was on the bottom.
Had to go to a Veterans hospital for a physical too.
That reminds me. A nurse wanted me to **** on demand for a stool
sample. I couldn't do it. You know how some of these nurses are,
like they think they're God. I asked her why I had to ****, and she
said all food handlers have to. I told her I would be operating
boilers, not handling food. In the end, after some heated
"discussion" I told her I wanted talk to her boss. That was to keep
me from strangling her.
So she takes me to the doc, and I explained the situation to him, he
looked at the paperwork and said there's no reason for me to ****.
That damn nurse started arguing with him and he almost fired her
before she backed down! God damn I hate those bureaucrats
who won't use common sense.

--Vic

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:13:39 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

But your are right about slim pickin in the 70s. I think times have
improved dramatically since then. The US transportation dept or
some .gov agency along with a few industry associations conducted a
maritme manning survey released last summer. The study painted a doom
and gloom man shortage for both US deep sea and brownwater companies.
Just cant get people to go sailing anymore. Christ, if a 70 year old
got a bunk Id say shipping has really got to be in a hurt!

It was '71 or '72, and the union reps at the hall told me they were
pulling guys off the streets just a while back. Viet Nam had wound
down.

Do you think Wilbur would sign up or would it take him away from his
current crusing life?

Might do him some good.

Hope your new year is going well Vic!

It ain't, really. I only get wet in the bathtub.
But I'm not really complaining.
Hope you're doing well.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

So don't **** - go cruising ............................
-----------------
-----------------
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 6, 5:15*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

Why not take your own advice and start shipping out Bob?
You seem to be a regular rbc know it all master of the seas yet never
speak of anything you ever attempted as a professional mariner or as a
sailor on your supposed boat.

IIRC you said you were going to work on a tug cleaning the heads
ect...what happened with that?
You dont need an AB to get on a crabber.
Lots of AB & OS positions in the oil patch you could get on easy
enough if you wanted.
Work the rivers on push boats, that pays great.
100's of shrimpers need hands.

Paying 1500 then never ending union dues for a maybe position on a
union ship and an AB card.
You could work as an ordinary seaman, make money and earn sea time
then sit for an AB free.
Someone with your self imagined skill set could surly pass a simple AB
test.

Can you answer your own question? Do you have what it takes?

Good luck.

Joe
Bob Bob is offline

On Jan 7, 8:49*am, Joe wrote:
On Jan 6, 5:15*pm, Bob wrote:

Well shiver my timbers ! !
Its captain joe of the ill fated RED CLOWN.........

Have you sunk any boats lately???

Why not take your own advice and start shipping out Bob?

I have.

You seem to be a regular rbc know it all master of the seas yet never
speak of anything you ever attempted as a professional mariner or as a
sailor on your supposed boat.

I tend not to be a self masturbating know it all simply stroking my
own ego. I will give my opinon but when it comes to my personal life I
have three words............... go **** yourself.

IIRC you said you were going to work on a tug cleaning the heads
ect...what happened with that?

I had an offer outside the tow sector. ANd as I ahve said before. Id
rather be sweeping and cleaning heads than working on some luberly
land job boasting about my PAST.

You dont need an AB to get on a crabber.

Yes, that is true. The only thing you need there is:
10th grade education
two past DUII, with one pending.
2 ex wives
1 domestic assault convection
1 repoed 4x4
$10,000 in back child support payments
$60,000 back taxes.
wages garnished.

Lots of AB & OS positions in the oil patch you could get on easy
enough if you wanted.

Yes, absolutly true. In fact i was talking to a friend of mine this
morning wholl be eating lunch with the HR at Rigdon Marine about now.
Even if oil is down from $147 to $40 the gom is still hiring.

HOwever new TWIC and USCG licensing/medical requirmens have placed
demanding requirmens on new mariners. I doubt someone like yourself
would qualify.

Work the rivers on push boats, that pays great.

Boy ar eyou misinformed...............

100's of shrimpers need hands.

Same comments as for crabbers except for the shrimp fishery in the GOM
is belly up with no future and the quality of deck guys is even worse.
Bering is sorta the elete of the fleet compared to the coonass
shrimpers. Try learning more about the fishery.

Paying 1500 then never ending union dues for a maybe position on a
union ship and an AB card.

I fa perso ndoes the homework union shipping has excellent pay. Sure
the Day Rate seems low compared to the GOM but pencil in: over time
after 8 hr, ATO (get payed on time off on beach) medical etc
PROTECTION by a labor contract and Union wages are similar if not
higher considering total compensation package.

Plus SIU promises a job after completing teh 7 month school

Your slave mentality is showing. I know everyone in the GOM is
brainwashed to think unions are bad. Looks like you you are still
clinging despretly to that brainwash job you got.

You could work as an ordinary seaman, make money and earn sea time
then sit for an AB free.

Yup, I agree. But for some the SIU school is a very easy entrance into
the industry with incredible support from the union. Plus all
education and up grades are free right up to 3M Unlimited 2M CM then
Master. The STCW-95 OICNW classes alone are $20,0000 and 16 weeks
street price.

I suggest you get infomed and past your fat gut. But then again
forcasting consiquences of behaviors are an upperlevel thought
process. If you had that maybe that coffee blunder would have been
avoided.

Someone with your self imagined skill set could surly pass a simple AB
test.

ALread did some time ago.

Can you answer your own question? Do you have what it takes?

The motive behind my post here was to let people who are interested in
a marine career know just how easy it is to walk into a deepsea
career.

I know many here want to be on the water and in this economy may need
a good job or may have an adult child foundering for a career. If my
personal situation was diffrent id jump on this opportunity in a heart
beat. But the SIU program, while excellent, does not fit my career
path at this time.

Im doing what I want to do. If you remember correctly I was one of the
3 people who called absolute bull **** on coffee importing. I cited
your arrogance and ridgid inability to adapt and learn as your
greatest flaw. Looks like my assessment was accurate.

Have another beer and tell us about the good old days 20 years ago
when you "ran crewboats." I for one am doing now what others dream
about doing and others say they did 30 year ago.

Bob
Good luck to you Joe. Learn from your failure, move on, and better
yourself.

Good luck.

Joe

Amazing Bob
I work in the industry already have my tickets and all that. the rota
is six and six for most jobs.