Joe Joe is offline

Default Do u have what it takes to be a real mariner?

On Jan 6, 5:15*pm, Bob wrote:
I was talking to a guy about 58 years old who was an AB on a Chevron
tanker. We were talking about boat jobs and he described a great
program the Sefarers International Union (SIU) had for new mariners.

If you think you want to be a real sailor and not some fat ****
sailboat guy ****ing about willburs grammer get a life and check out
SIU UnLicensed Apprentance program.

http://www.seafarers.org/jobs/uafaq.xml

Basically after $1500 tuition and a seven month school at Pinney
Point, MD you walk out a union AB with a "B" seniority book. WIth A-B-
C-D books, D Book the least seniority, that means youre next to the
top in seniority and get to sail when ever ya want. Its really an
unbelivable opportunity.

Oh, now I can hear all the "ya butters." "I would but.... or I could
but....." The guy I was talking to said he new of a guy SEVENTY years
old who just completed the 7 month program and was sailing (that means
working on unlimited ships as an AB, not typing about sailboats here)

So quit your whinning and give up your looser RBC life and get a real
job on a real boat with real mariners. If a 70 year old guy can do it
at least a few of you recreational yacher types can do it. Besides I
hear at least a few of you white, fat, 60 yo geezers have the back of
a 30 year old...........

If not please pass this information to anyone who wants to better
their life and career.

Bob

Why not take your own advice and start shipping out Bob?
You seem to be a regular rbc know it all master of the seas yet never
speak of anything you ever attempted as a professional mariner or as a
sailor on your supposed boat.

IIRC you said you were going to work on a tug cleaning the heads
ect...what happened with that?
You dont need an AB to get on a crabber.
Lots of AB & OS positions in the oil patch you could get on easy
enough if you wanted.
Work the rivers on push boats, that pays great.
100's of shrimpers need hands.

Paying 1500 then never ending union dues for a maybe position on a
union ship and an AB card.
You could work as an ordinary seaman, make money and earn sea time
then sit for an AB free.
Someone with your self imagined skill set could surly pass a simple AB
test.

Can you answer your own question? Do you have what it takes?

Good luck.

Joe