Bob Bob is offline

Default Do u have what it takes to be a real mariner?

On Jan 6, 4:37*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:15:51 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

I was talking to a guy about 58 years old who was an AB on a Chevron
tanker. We were talking about boat jobs and he described a great
program the Sefarers International Union (SIU) had for new mariners.

If you think you want to be a real sailor and not some fat ****
sailboat guy ****ing about willburs grammer get a life and check out
SIU UnLicensed Apprentance program.

http://www.seafarers.org/jobs/uafaq.xml

Basically after $1500 tuition and a seven month school at Pinney
Point, MD you walk out a union AB with a "B" seniority book. WIth A-B-
C-D books, D Book the least seniority, that means youre next to the
top in seniority and get to sail when ever ya want. Its really an
unbelivable opportunity.

Oh, now I can hear all the "ya butters." "I would but.... or I could
but....." The guy I was talking to said he new of a guy SEVENTY years
old who just completed the 7 month program and was sailing (that means
working on unlimited ships as an AB, not typing about sailboats here)

So quit your whinning and give up your looser RBC life and get a real
job on a real boat with real mariners. If a 70 year old guy can do it
at least a few of you recreational yacher types can do it. Besides I
hear at least a few of you white, fat, 60 yo geezers have the back of
a 30 year old...........

If not please pass this information to anyone who wants to better
their life and career.

That looks like a sweet program for those who fit in it.
Probably a good idea to go to the hall you'll sail from and check out
the jobs available.
I got a CG Watertender license back in the early '70's (Navy
experience and passing the CG test) and when I got to the SIU hall in
NYC there was no work for me. *Even the "A" seniority guys were
waiting weeks to get a berth.
Ended up back in Chicago doing vacation fill-ins on the lakes.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Ya Vic I was wondering about job availibilty too.

I keep a pretty close lookout on the marine transportion stocks and
most the deep sea carriers are down 20%-30% which means fewer sailing
jobs. The sweet part about the SIU apprentiship, or at least the way i
understand it is, part of the program is the union promises the new
"grads" 360 days after finishing the program.

But your are right about slim pickin in the 70s. I think times have
improved dramatically since then. The US transportation dept or
some .gov agency along with a few industry associations conducted a
maritme manning survey released last summer. The study painted a doom
and gloom man shortage for both US deep sea and brownwater companies.
Just cant get people to go sailing anymore. Christ, if a 70 year old
got a bunk Id say shipping has really got to be in a hurt!

Do you think Wilbur would sign up or would it take him away from his
current crusing life?

Hope your new year is going well Vic!
Bob