Default two questions

I bought an antique cigarrete-case with the following inscription: regatta
won by Dorus.
1. Who can forward me more information about that regatta?
2. Who is familiar with the Hoxwiergroup?

Thx,
Helena

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:18:32 +0100, "Helena" wrote:

I bought an antique cigarrete-case with the following inscription: regatta
won by Dorus.
1. Who can forward me more information about that regatta?
2. Who is familiar with the Hoxwiergroup?

Hoxweir Group is a Yachting Services business in the Netherlands:

http://hoxwiergroup.nl/

Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers (January 28, 1847 – April 19, 1928) was a
famous Dutch lifeboat captain and folk hero, most famous for his sea
rescues of 487 shipwrecked victims over a total of 38 rescue
operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorus_Rijkers

Way to go Wayne...impressive!!

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:18:32 +0100, "Helena" wrote:

I bought an antique cigarrete-case with the following inscription: regatta
won by Dorus.
1. Who can forward me more information about that regatta?
2. Who is familiar with the Hoxwiergroup?

Hoxweir Group is a Yachting Services business in the Netherlands:

http://hoxwiergroup.nl/

Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers (January 28, 1847 – April 19, 1928) was a
famous Dutch lifeboat captain and folk hero, most famous for his sea
rescues of 487 shipwrecked victims over a total of 38 rescue
operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorus_Rijkers

Probably a different Dorus. IIRC, some Dorus was in the old Greek
panoply of gods. I suspect the OP is looking for a boat named after this
god or goddette - not the famous captain.

"slide" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:18:32 +0100, "Helena" wrote:

I bought an antique cigarrete-case with the following inscription:
regatta won by Dorus.
1. Who can forward me more information about that regatta?
2. Who is familiar with the Hoxwiergroup?

Hoxweir Group is a Yachting Services business in the Netherlands:

http://hoxwiergroup.nl/

Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers (January 28, 1847 – April 19, 1928) was a
famous Dutch lifeboat captain and folk hero, most famous for his sea
rescues of 487 shipwrecked victims over a total of 38 rescue
operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorus_Rijkers

Probably a different Dorus. IIRC, some Dorus was in the old Greek panoply
of gods. I suspect the OP is looking for a boat named after this god or
goddette - not the famous captain.

I think I would tend to agree that the "Dorus" in question would more likely
be the name of the vessel. For a person, one would expect first and last
names, at least.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:27:48 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers (January 28, 1847 – April 19, 1928) was a
famous Dutch lifeboat captain and folk hero, most famous for his sea
rescues of 487 shipwrecked victims over a total of 38 rescue
operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorus_Rijkers

Probably a different Dorus. IIRC, some Dorus was in the old Greek panoply
of gods. I suspect the OP is looking for a boat named after this god or
goddette - not the famous captain.

I think I would tend to agree that the "Dorus" in question would more likely
be the name of the vessel. For a person, one would expect first and last
names, at least.

That's all a possibility of course. On the other hand the object in
question is a cigarette lighter, not a typical sailing trophy, and
Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers appears to be a fairly famous person in the
world of Dutch yachting, and well known by just his nickname.

Questions about Git-Rot Bill[_9_] Boat Building 12 July 28th 08 11:49 PM
Questions 3 RogueIT General 1 June 27th 07 02:05 AM
more ROW questions.... Scotty ASA 59 October 28th 06 08:19 PM
Metal Keel, fin, finish, repair, questions, questions Lester Evans Boat Building 1 April 23rd 06 04:00 PM
more 4.3 questions Gorf General 18 June 23rd 05 01:40 PM